Anyone else had a THR at 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

socceramg

new member
Joined
May 10, 2012
Messages
1
Location
United States
Hi I am a 23yr old female and I was diagnosed with Avasular necrosis in both hips at 15 yrs old after steroid treatment for Severe Aplastic Anemia. I have lived with the pain and the inability to do a lot of things that people my age and even older enjoy doing. I love playing soccer and running. Unfortunately, the pain is hindering any physical activity.

The doctors tell me that there's is nothing they can do for me because of my age. My current OS says I could do a total hip replacement but that he doesn't recommend it because i am too young and will end up needing another one. But I am so tired of the pain and that I can't do the things I love. My right hip is more damaged than the left, so the doctor recommended a core decompression of the left hip while it is still possible, but with no assurance that it will work. I am scheduled to have that done by the end of may.

Has anyone around my age had a total hip replacement done and if so could you tell me about your experience?

Also, does anyone know of anything else, new technology, that may be available for people my age?

I would greatly appreciate any insight,

Thank you.
 
Re: 23 yrs old need THR, Anyone @ my age gotten one?

Yes, close to your age and also diagnosed with AVN. Had mine replaced in 1997 at 30. And had a revision in Feb 2012, as the liner was wearing out. I think you should find a new Dr. Having the hip replaced was the best thing I could have done. Have never regretted it. :yahoo:
 
Re: 23 yrs old need THR, Anyone @ my age gotten one?

Socceramg

Welcome to the BoneSmart family

Core Depression (CD) is I believe quite a painful procedure and recovery. We have a few members who have had it performed and are not fans of the procedure.

I would agree that you need to seek a second OS opinion. We have members who have had THR's at a very young age and go onto having a better quality of life.

I think you have suffered long enough :)

Seek a new OS and second opinion (if possible).

If you check out the Success Stories in the Library, (which can be found off the grey navigation bar at the top of the page) you will find some inspiring stories from young people.

Good luck, and please come back and update us.

Once again welcome to BoneSmart.
 
Re: 23 yrs old need THR, Anyone @ my age gotten one?

Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry to hear about your AVN, such medical conditions shouldn't happen to someone so young, but I am amazed at your attitude and resilience in living your life to the fullest.

You didn't mention the experience and specialty of your current OS and other drs. But your OS should be comfortable with encouraging you to seek out a second, third or more referrals.

We are all here to support you and encourage you!
All the best!

 
Re: 23 yrs old need THR, Anyone @ my age gotten one?

First - welcome to BoneSmart! As Sandy says you need to spend some time in the Library. But I will give you a head start with this thread

4 months pics THR...

This young lady was your age when she had her THR. As you can see - she got her life back in a big way.

My suggestion is you find yourself another OS. There is no age limit to this surgery! Your OS is living in the past. Spend some time in the Hip Replacement Recovery area. We have many members your age who have had THR. Even more have left us and gone on to better lives.

Please come back and ask any questions you might have. We are here for you!
 
Hi

I had LTHR at 21 years old, it's still in now I am 34... Good luck!
 
IMO try to find another OS who will do your replacement - look until you find one that will - good luck!!!
xoxo,
Linda
 
Socceramg,
I work in medical imaging, and last year I met a young man in his 20s who had both hips and both knees replaced in his late teens, early 20s. He was there for a shoulder issue, nothing related to his joint replacements.
He did not walk until he had he hip and knee replacements; I can't recall if it was juvenile arthritis or RA, but it was a moving story and I will never forget him.
He had his surgeries with Dr. Matthias Bostrum at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. I also had my TKA there with Dr. Steven Haas. If you have any doubts, try to go there for a consult and surgery. People go there from all over the world, and for good reason as they are ranked #1 in the U.S. for orthopedic surgery.
https://www.hss.edu/why-choose-hss.asp
No I don't work there, but I would be very proud to!
Good luck and keep us posted!
 
Gosh, that's some story, Jan. Thanks for sharing it.
 
I can relate to you 100% socceramg. I'm 28 with AVN and every week it seems another activity/hobby/privilege is being taken away from me. Just the most simple things are becoming excruciating. At first, i didnt want to do a THR yet because of the possibility/complications of numerous revisions later in life. All has changed considering my quality of life has diminished drastically. I've seen 5 orthopedists and after doing much homework, I'm choosing to go with a doctor who specializes in anterior approach THRs. I'm hoping through the anterior approach it will be a shorter recovery. I think its all about doing what you feel is best for you and finding an experienced orthopedic with a good track record that you can trust. Hope all goes well for you and please keep me posted! :)
 
Latest stats on anterior vs posterior show that recovery is not always faster and often times the outcomes are a little bit poorer. This is due to the difficulty in alignment when the vision into the wound is so limited. At 1 and 2 year reviews, the good outcomes had no differences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom