THR I'm now a hipster

Status
Not open for further replies.
51desoto. Congratulations on the leg lifts! That's terrific. I had a lateral so not for me. Sounds like you are doing very well.

It will be eventually. In fact, they are even more important for a lateral than any other approach.

Hi hippies. It's day 9 and I am amazed at how much improvement I see with each passing day. I'm down to 6 hour intervals on Vicodin per day without any problems. The nasty rash on my back is drying up, but it is itchy due to drying skin rather than the blisters. I hope. Sleeping for any length of time is hard, but I get up and walk around for awhile. I have always slept on my back, but not all night. I figured out the shower, because I couldn't stand the sponge baths any more. I cut up plastic storage bags into sheets, and tape them so it covers the entire dressing. It has worked well on the smaller anterior incision. My wife says I'm a "glass half empty" kind of guy, so I'm waiting for the setbacks, but I'm starting to feel that this whole ordeal may be worth it.

Yep you can take a shower once they come out just be careful and the first bath is bliss best to wait and get the ok for your first bath usually the eight week period.

Billy

I just noticed where you live, and I've wanted to visit Scotland for a long time. My wife has a business trip scheduled for the first of August to Edinburgh, and I'm motivated to be in good enough shape to go with her. We've never been there although we were in London in early April. Walking for hours each day in London finally convinced me to get the surgery done as soon as possible. I don't expect to be 100%, but at 3 months post surgery, I think I'll do OK.

51desoto how about Noxema for the dry skin component of the healing-up rash? It has some of the same ingredients that Gold Bond powder has in it-- menthol and thymol and maybe eucalyptol. Love the smell of all those pungent plants! I use it for hand cream, even though it's a cleanser. it is not at all greasy, whcih is a big plus.
You are doing very well-- I do hope you get to go to Scotland! :)

I'm going to my dermatologist today, because I can't stand the rash any longer. It is my first real journey since the surgery. I'm so excited.

Hello there!
We had surgery the same day! It's nice to meet someone that is in the same recovery time frame as me. I see that you said you are using a cane now. I have my staples taken out on Thursday and I hope I am able to go to using the cane. I am sorry to hear about your rash, that must really bother you seeing that you have to stay on your back. The only thing I have it thigh pain, I think I just did too much too soon. It's just so nice not having the bone on bone pain:dancy: Did you have a block during your surgery? I had one in my hip/leg. They didn't put it in my spine because I have had 2 surgeries in the spine. It was so nice not having any pain for 2 days! I didn't get out of bed until 2 days after surgery because I was still very numb and couldn't feel my leg. But once it wore off I was off to the races!
Take care,

@51desoto

I had both a block and general anaesthesia for a revision April 18th, they kept the block going for 48 hours. The reason I'm telling you this is because I'm sensitive to adhesives and they had the line taped in circles from my lower lumbar up to me neck, and I started itching from the tape within 6 hours, so by the time they removed it my back had tiny blisters, and an extremely itchy rash. First, I had my husband clean my back with mild soap, then we dried it real good, I alternated using Caladryl & Tea Tree oil, but helped tremendously relieve the annoying itch , and helped heal the blisters. It did take about a week and a half for the blisters to scab over....but the itching was relieved every time I used the Caladryl & Tea Tree....and stopped itching completely after 3 days, so I discontinued using anything at that point.

Glad everything else seems to be going well for you....:flwrysmile:

The dermatologist said I have some kind of Psoraisis, and prescribed Clobestasol, which is a steroid cream. He said to stay off my back as much as possible, get some sun on the back, but don't sweat, which is pretty hard since we skipped Spring and went straight to Summer. the rash is already better this morning, so I'm hopeful. The nurse is coming this morning to take our the staples (13 days), and I'm very happy. I did have the nerve block in the leg, and my thigh does hurt, but I think it is due to all of the trauma accociated with the surgery. I'm climbing stairs and walking outside well with the cane, and I do well during the day, but get uncomfortable by 9 or 10PM. It would be good to get off the Vicodin, because I haven't had a beer in two weeks. I think I'm tolerating the Vicodin better, because I don't feel as dull witted as I did initially. Maybe I'm getting to the point that I'm bored with all this, and I want to get on with my regular life. Did this hit anyone else at about two weeks?

Congrats on your wonderful recovery, tho I'm sorry about the rash. I had poster-lateral. May I ask what "leg lifts" are? (a link or photo?) I too would love for my regular life to resume, but am more worried about setbacks, so I am content with "slow and steady" ( now, if only my employer were on board with "slow and steady" as well!). Best of luck to you for a continued successful recovery.

Leg lifts were the toughest last week. On my back, left knee bent at 45, right leg straight, lift right leg about 12 inches, slowly lower right leg I think this is a pretty common exercise for hip replacments. I was amazed, that one day I couldn't get the leg off the bed, and two days later, I could do 10 reps with the leg. The nurse just left, she took out the staples, put on steri strips. I'm headed for the shower.

When I tried to decide to have the surgery, I looked to others to see how they progressed. Maybe my 4 weeks will give the next people an idea. Yesterday was 4 weeks and my first post op dr. appointment. The good; I have no restrictions (crossing legs, etc.). I can get in the pool, if it ever stops raining. Outpatient PT starts Monday, and I've been driving for about a week. I can walk a mile, but still need the cane. I ditched the walker after the first week. I can walk without the cane, but it is not smooth, so I'll keep it until I can walk more normally. I still need the cane for steps, although I can do without if I get a little momentum first. My stamina is getting better, but I still need a nap in the afternoon. My wife and I went out to dinner16 days post-op, but was ready to get home after an hour and a half. This weekend, I expect to have a normal dinner with friends.
Pain is tolerable, and I'm only taking Tylenol as needed. I can sleep on my back or non surgery side, but I still wake up every 2 hours, or so, at night. Everyone says that I am doing very well, and I feel I am well on my way to life without hip pain. I really think I will be playing golf in July.
The first 4 weeks were a challenge, but it does get better. I hope this update will help others who come after.

Sounds good 51desoto I'm a couple days ahead of you and found that entering the fifth week I had a big improvement. Still favor the right side on my first step from time to time but I think it is mostly learned behavior.

I'm going to do some putting this weekend. Hoping to do chipping in another couple weeks, I have a second post op visit at week 8 June 25th and hope to get released for golf then. I pretty much napped daily until this week and I'm back at work and managing without them now.

Glad you're coming along well. Are you in the storm area there in MO? Be well

51desoto -- Glad to see you are progressing. I hear you about the spring to summer and now all the rain. I am also in the St Louis area, on the Illinois side of the river.

It seems we can't catch a break with the weather. Last year it was record heat and drought, and so far, this Spring has been cool, rain, and storms. It looks like more storms today and tomorrow, but I feel for the people of Oklahoma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022