• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Proud member of Double hippie club

Welcome to the double hippy group! Had my bI lateral hips done in 2008 and haven’t looked back. No restrictions, so I used them as my own….. cause they are! Follow the guidance of your healthcare providers, keep up in meds and remember “you got this”

I must have been tired last night wishing you Happy One Month anniversary for the second month in a row. I corrected it. Don't want to cheat you out of a month of discomfort and hard work.:wink:
Enjoy the rest if the week!
@GrumpyMCO

How is your recovery going overall, GrumpyMCO?
@GrumpyMCO

2 Month Recovery Update - Overall - nothing to complain about, and much to be happy for.

Pro's (Simple Things)
  • Ability to step up onto a chair to take down some window treatments. Didn't have the flexibility to do that before - or the strength!
  • Ramping up exercise again without the pain & stiffness that follows a few hrs later.
  • Not being the slowest walker in an airport. Not the fastest either - but I'm probably in the 80th percentile!
  • Ability to bend over and dry my feet!
  • Lack of apprehension when taking on semi-big tasks - before the surgery - a trip to the UK (long flight, heavy bags, navigating crowds, etc - would have been a bit daunting.)
  • No Tylenol, no icing, but still taking a daily Celebrex - will stop that next week and see how that goes.
  • Getting into a car without the "back in & pivot maneuver".
Con's (not that big a deal, and it's only been 2 months)
  • Discomfort if sleep on one side too long - that includes the hip and knee areas.
  • Discomfort if sit too long (good reminder to get up & move.)
  • Walking normally requires a bit of focus as I unlearn old habits.
  • Still not able to put on socks easily or at all, and that thing with ropes is so easy to rely on.

Thanks for the update. Lots of positives! The cons are all very common and maybe even things you
experienced the first time around. Overall your recovery sounds great! Two new hips...I'm happy for you. :)
@GrumpyMCO

3 Month Update on Hip #2.
I've got some minor pain & discomfort in both hips now as I started physical therapy a few weeks ago to improve my overall strength & flexibility. Since my post-surgery physical therapy was limited to a phone app and some basic mobility exercises - I'm now breaking down scar tissue in my quest to be able to cross my legs again.

I'm excited as I'm already seeing improvements in flexibility.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of telling the therapist that I wasn't really feeling anything on the strengthening exercises last Friday. So this weekend I backed off the daily regimen to recover!

Unfortunately I made the mistake of telling the therapist that I wasn't really feeling anything on the strengthening exercises last Friday
Welcome to the OverDid It Club (ODIC) bench! We all land there at some point in our recoveries. (Some of us -- like me -- more than once :heehee: )

The good news is that you now have a better sense of your limits so, after you back off for a few days to recover, you can better gauge how much to push (or not!) next session.

4 Month Update on the RTHR
Wrapped up Physical Therapy 2 weeks ago. Got a list of exercises & stretches to continue doing at home. I had been ramping up the use of various exercise equipment (elliptical, rower, stationary bike) and trying to get north of 10,000 steps a day for a while, but yesterday while walking the dog I had to admit that I was in the waiting room for the ODIC. Today is a little more achy in the newest hip, so I'll dial back the PT exercises and various equipment and focus on stretching and just keeping it loose for this week.

Not a linear recovery for sure, but still light-years ahead of my pre-surgery days.

Happy Eclipse day everyone!

I had to admit that I was in the waiting room for the ODIC. Today is a little more achy in the newest hip, so I'll dial back the PT exercises and various equipment and focus on stretching and just keeping it loose for this week.
Wise decision!
I'd hate to see you stall your progress by overdoing it. A belated Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Have a wonderful week!

Well we all join ODIC so don't beat yourself up. You got this!

5 month Update....just scheduled my 6 month check in with my Ortho for next week, probably early by a few weeks but that pain in the latest THR (Right Side) doesn't seem to be going away. In fact - it's a bit worse at times. There are definitely times there is no pain, and maybe it is exercise related. I'm no iron man competitor, but I did 30 on the rower and 30 on the treadmill yesterday and today walking the dogs the dull ache was a little sharper.

Does the ODIC ever get closed to us THR recipients?

Or is it a lifetime membership?

Still not preventing me from doing things like the pre-THR pain. And my Go/No-Go test of being able to bend over and pick up dog waste is still coming up green, so I'm not complaining too much - it's just that Hip #1 was pain free so quickly, it's a bit disappointing that Hip #2 isn't on the same trajectory.

How do you tell the difference between - "man up, this is just normal healing" and "OMG THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY IMPLANT"?

@GrumpyMCO I think the ODIC is open to anyone at any time, any age. Think back on your life ... was there ever a time (before having bad hips) that you worked too hard or engaged in a sport too energetically and were achy with sore muscles the next day? That too, IMO, is joining the ODIC. And if something were wrong with your implant you would know it because the pain would be horrible - as in can't even walk, wanting to pass out horrible... an 11 or 12 on a 1-10 scale.

@GrumpyMCO I think the ODIC is open to anyone at any time, any age. Think back on your life ... was there ever a time (before having bad hips) that you worked too hard or engaged in a sport too energetically and were achy with sore muscles the next day? That too, IMO, is joining the ODIC. And if something were wrong with your implant you would know it because the pain would be horrible - as in can't even walk, wanting to pass out horrible... an 11 or 12 on a 1-10 scale.
Thanks Deb, That's kind of what I thought, but it's good to have external confirmation from more knowledgeable sources!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sinister17
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom