TKR RTKR December 12

I have been getting and giving massage since my teens, am certified in Swedish-Esalen, and am a total bodywork junkie. If I won the lottery it would be on my schedule daily different modalities in rotation!

You can request bolsters like they use to massage pregnant women - you lie on your non surgical side and your surgical leg is at or just under hip level so nearly parallel to the table, comfortably flexed as you want. My therapist did excellent hip, pelvis, and sacral releases nowhere near the knee that helped so much!

The one warning about Swedish-Esalen: it's the most basic certification, at least in California, and spas often hire new grads. You don't want a new grad. You want someone who ideally has at least five years experience, and if they are certified in cranio-sacral or trigger point that's a plus. Most deep tissue folks will go as light as you want (I love deep work, but have to caution them to Go In Slowly or I guard!) and they can have a better understanding of internal structures so I would ask how experienced those folks are.

This is all great advice! I knew I could count on folks in this forum. I'll do a little local research and then let you know how it goes. In the past, I have counted massage as a particular self-indulgence, but now that this surgery has encouraged me to pay more attention to my body, I'm ready for the adventure.

@benne68 Can you stop by and explain this to my husband? (he doesn’t really complain when I get one but he makes little comments along the lines of “it must be nice”)

Still looking into massage options and found a local place highly recommended but haven't yet made an appointment. In the meantime, I did get to swim at the gym today for the first time since surgery. It was as luscious as I thought it would be. The therapy pool--open for all on weekends--was 91degrees so no worries about getting chilled. I did about 20 min. of water walking there and then swam half a lap in the big pool, which was cooler but not awful. The rash guard suit with long sleeves was a help. My arms and shoulders are always so easily chilled. Ended with a few minutes in the whirlpool and felt like a new woman.

Sounds wonderful. I wish I had access to a warm pool other than just at PT. I think I need to make a massage appointment soon.

Curious how you’re feeling today, LittleBit after you time in the pool yesterday?
It seems you took it easy, but many find it easy to overdo it in the water.
Glad you’re getting back to what you love, even if it’s slowly.
Have a great week!
@LittleBit

Thanks for asking, @Layla. I slept well last night after my time in the pool. Today, my knee is no more sore than usual. It feels like the muscles in the leg and around the knee are less tight thanb before the swim although the knee itself still is stiff on standing after sitting for awhile. It was walking in the therapy pool while moving my arms back and forth that seemed to really loosen up the leg and knee. In fact, it felt relaxing to my whole body. I'm hoping continued laps in the big pool will help me build back my aerobic endurance. I counted going from one end of the Olympic-sized pool to the other and back as a lap, so I did breast stroke and side stroke going up and backstroke coming back. Because of my two bad knees, I haven't done much in the way of walking to build stamina for a couple of years now and am excited to be able to substitute swimming now. The gym that I am using is one I had used for aquacize classes in the past before a tornado took down their structure. They have just in the past year opened up again. I'll try to remember the advice from this forum to take it easy and add on slowly while listening to my body.

Second swim session today, exactly 8 weeks out from surgery. I spent 20 min. water walking in the therapy pool and then swam 100 yards in the big pool, but half of that was backstroke. I can tell I need the aerobic exercise because I get winded too soon. I'm still loving my long sleeve suit. I only wish walking out of the water were as easy on my knees as walking in it:tada:

Great progress and wonderful news you felt good after getting back in the pool, you slept well and returned again today! At the rate you're going you'll regain your stamina in no time. Have a great rest of the week and enjoy the pool sessions. :wave:
@LittleBit

Thank you for the continued support. I had an unexpected amount of pain last night after driving and sitting for way longer than I have before. I drove two round trips of 45 min. each, so 90 min. of driving although not consecutive. Also sat in church for an hour without elevating the leg. Walked around Staples with my granddaughter for about half an hour. Then last night went to a Super Bowl party at my son's house, where I sat on a low couch, trying to elevate my knee on the coffee table but wasn't really comfortable. By the time I got home, I had the worst pain I have had in weeks. Went to bed with ice and leg on pillows. Thankfully, though, I don't feel any negative effects this morning. My knee has told me, in no uncertain terms now, that enough is enough :no-fin: I'm grateful for ice, the ability to sleep, and the reminder to take little steps rather than giant leaps in my activity level.

Welcome to the ODIC! Yep, can't progress quite that fast without a loud protest. I'm glad you're already feeling better.

Uh oh...someone made a trip through the ODIC.
Sounds like it was a drive through though, no ODIC for the stay. :wink:
Feeling better just in time for your two month anniversary. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week, LittleBit!
@LittleBit

WinkThat was a big jump to what you are used to, I can well imagine how your knee protested afterwards!
I do think it’s incredible that you didn’t feel any worse for wear the following day, that’s a big plus!
But I bet you won’t be doing that again very soon. :wink:
All in all, a positive update.

8 1/2 WEEKS out from TKR - I'm reporting in because, in my early weeks of recovery, I liked to read about experiences of those ahead of me. It was my way of focusing on the long range. So today I swam laps for 175 yards after water walking for 25 min. Since my week 6, I have found swimming to be my best exercise for stress relief and regaining energy as well as for mobility. I am by no means an athlete but find that setting small, achievable goals, I can make progress toward being healthier. Going up and down steps has been a challenge for me. I am doing going up steps reciprocally while holding onto the rail without using it to pull myself up or lean on, just for balance. I struggle with going down steps and still do mostly one step at a time, sometimes trying to do a step reciprocally to see how it feels. My surgical leg feels good walking, so I am now calling my nonsurgical leg my "bad" leg. I have some pains and weird feelings in my surgical knee every day but not all day and not enough to need any pain meds, even OTC. It can sometimes be hard to get a good knee position for sleeping on my side, but I work around and use a pillow until I find a comfort zone. I sleep well. I have been back at work online since week 5 and am finally feeling like it doesn't take every ounce of physical and mental energy that I have.

The sun has been shining in KY. Daffodils are budding. I saw bluebirds in the backyard. I'm dreaming of planting flowers but snow and ice in early March are completely normal here, so not yet, unless maybe a few pansies:flwrysmile:

Aaah, bluebirds and daffodils sounds so lovely. I'm dreaming of the warmer weather also.

My surgical leg feels good walking, so I am now calling my nonsurgical leg my "bad" leg.
Made me chuckle. :wink:

Thanks for documenting your journey on BoneSmart. I am certain it will be of interest to many, I, like you, read many accounts here of others recoveries as I tried to talk myself into scheduling surgery. It was encouraging to see how quickly you're actually able to do certain things. You're doing great, LittleBit! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Sounds like you are doing amazing! The pool sounds very tempting! They told me I couldn't get in a pool until 3 months but I see most people are cleared around 6 weeks. Seems like it would depend on if your incision is healed to me - I've thought about asking them again about it.

I'm originally from Kentucky - close to the TN border, Mammoth cave, etc. I still love going back to Mammoth Cave (or did until I had such trouble walking). Looking forward to doing that again hopefully!

What an update! :ok::yes:
Yes, folks definitely have a lot of reassurance and inspiration from these updates!

@selketine I think pool clearance does have to do with the incision healing. I was very anxious to be able to swim again. I haven't been to Mammoth Cave in years, but it is a nice park. We like to spend time at Lake Malone, where we have a small lake house. That's a big reason I want to get my knees going again. I love walking along the lake there and hiking in the mountains at Gatlinburg. I hope we will both be able to enjoy walking again before too long.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom