PAO vs THR

Aunalongwalk

Country
United States United States
I am 34yo stay at home mom to a 2 year old. In 2020, I had labrum repaired in my right hip, along with reshaping the femur to be more rounded. Got pregnant 6 weeks post op.

Now that I’m 3 years post op, my right hip is bad again and my left is rapidly following. I have beginning stages of OA but my joint spacing still looks good, and doesn’t reflect the pain I’m feeling.

I’m currently using a cane for support, I’m unable to drive or play with my child. My quality of life is decreasing exponentially, and with it my mental health.

The surgeon who performed the scope on the right hip says there isn’t much he can do, if it failed once it’ll fail again. We discussed PAO, but he’s not confident it will be successful given my age. But if I have a THR, I’ll likely need another in 25-30. He said we could try injections, but he’s not confident that will help either.

I’m stuck in this limbo. Needing a replacement, but it’s too soon, yet everything else is likely to fail until it’s time for a replacement.

Ball is in my court with that to do; injections, try a PAO or a THR.

What would you do?

@Aunalongwalk Welcome to BoneSmart! I think you need to find a different surgeon because this one sounds very old school to me. We have seen many people here your age and younger - even some teenagers - getting hip replacements and returning to very active, strenuous jobs and other activities. Yes the current implants are expected to last for 30+ years. You might need a replacement after that but there is no way to predict that you will need one. Even IF you did need at replacement n 30 years you would have had 30 years of a pain free hip and being able to enjoy your life!

Feel free to read threads here in pre-op and over in the hip recovery section. And do ask any questions you have!

Here is our list of pre-op suggestions and articles that may help you make a decision that is right for you:

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

My current surgeon only does laparoscopic surgeries, so I’m really not in his field anymore. I have an appointment with a surgeon who does replacements. I’m hoping I can convince him, I just want to be able to be present for my son. I had PPD so badly, I almost didn’t survive. I just want to be a good mom.

My current surgeon only does laparoscopic surgeries
A big red flag - all the more reason to find someone who is comfortable with offering THR to younger patients. We have many members your age and younger who have had THR.

Please let us know how your appointment goes!

Wow @Aunalongwalk , I thought I was young to need a THR at 63, So I can understand your concern. But I was just uninformed: when I found Bonesmart I discovered that there were lots people half my age getting new hips. I have now had both hips done and it has transformed my life. Go for it. You want to be enjoying your little one’s childhood and dancing at her coming of age.

We aren't doctors obviously, but worrying about your life in 30 years when you have life right in front of you isn't worth it. I don't want to be morbid, but none of us are guaranteed a "thirty years later." You have a lot to do now and saying that you're too young doesn't negate reality. We are all born with what we got -- bad eyesight, thinning hair, weird hormones and yes, bad joints. Talk to a true orthopedic surgeon (or three!) and get a good picture of what is going on. Maybe the spacing is good but your cup or ball of your hip is misshapen or there are other reasons for the pain. Get your best answer and then hit the problem square-on. Your future self (whether it's one year or 40) will thank you!

I am 34yo stay at home mom to a 2 year old. In 2020, I had labrum repaired in my right hip, along with reshaping the femur to be more rounded. Got pregnant 6 weeks post op.

Now that I’m 3 years post op, my right hip is bad again and my left is rapidly following. I have beginning stages of OA but my joint spacing still looks good, and doesn’t reflect the pain I’m feeling.

I’m currently using a cane for support, I’m unable to drive or play with my child. My quality of life is decreasing exponentially, and with it my mental health.

The surgeon who performed the scope on the right hip says there isn’t much he can do, if it failed once it’ll fail again. We discussed PAO, but he’s not confident it will be successful given my age. But if I have a THR, I’ll likely need another in 25-30. He said we could try injections, but he’s not confident that will help either.

I’m stuck in this limbo. Needing a replacement, but it’s too soon, yet everything else is likely to fail until it’s time for a replacement.

Ball is in my court with that to do; injections, try a PAO or a THR.

What would you do?
I would have the THR. You will only be able to prolong it for a year or two with injections. During that time what kind of quality of life will you have? Will you skip out on activities with friends and family? I did. Even if you need a new one in 20-30 years, so what? You will still be young at that time and another surgery wouldn’t be as bad. I am getting my 2nd THR next week. Had my left done a year and a half ago. Right one is going. It is not half as bad as the left had been, but it will be eventually. I have gained 25 pounds and have altered my activities already and I am done with that! Need to live my life. My first hip feels great! Most of the time I forget it is there. Injections have their own risks, steriods are not great for you and they do make the hip degenerate quicker. Plus they don’t help that much, at least not for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member