TKR luvcats recovery box

@Carole4815 I have earned my grumpiness and proclaim it for all the world to see. Or something like that.

Once Beloved was up and about, we hit the shower. I was fine, but I'm really not quite as stable as I would have preferred. But I have always been very persnickety about bathing and I was never going to get comfortable. My planned method for in and out worked ok. I was shakier getting out than I hoped, but it is what it is.

The important thing is, I am now clean and fresh. I feel much more relaxed. Beloved will bring up my breakfast soon. Once I'm full, I expect I'll fall asleep quickly. A nap should adjust my attitude to something that doesnt deserve to sit in the corner.

The angle on the Lounge Doctor pillow is still too much. So regular pillows and laying flat is on the agenda for today. Hopefully there will be much napping.

So glad you got a shower this morning! I am still not very stable in the shower and sweetie insists that I do not shower unless he is nearby or at least at my house, so that I could call out if I needed help, or fell, or whatever. I think I could shower alone but I'll humor him.

I haven't used my Lounge Doctor much at all, yet. I need to start using it, though, or something to elevate better because my surgical leg is swelled up like a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. LOL

So glad that today is working out better and hopefully you will get some sleep soon! :sleep:

Shakier is something that improves as you know.
You are not even a week out of the OR.... I didn’t shower until I was a week out.
Hang in there....
Did you decide on knee names @luvcats ?

@Carole4815 last time it took about 2 weeks before I was comfortable with my leg on the LD. Since you have one, it might be time to give it a try.

@Poctdb I didnt shower for at least a week last time either. I did fine with bath wipes. But this time something going on with my skin was making me completely insane and sleep is a critical function for healing. It all feels much better now, so the risk was justified.

I have not yet chosen names or other designations for the new knees. Still pondering.

Hi @luvcats! So happy that you are back at home and on the way to recovery. Sorry about this itching thing...hoping that shower was the key to no more itching...

Hang in there, get some good rest, and use those meds! You are an inspiration to see how well you are doing with two new knees within two months!!!

As for names, though I am still pondering a name for mine, here are some thoughts for you:

Moe & Curly
Ernie & Burt
Dora & Diego
Bo & Hope (Days of Our Lives - lol!)
Nicky & Alex (Full House Twins)
Dwight & Jim (The Office)
Statler & Waldorf (Muppet Show)

Those zingers are no joke!! Sometimes one will hit me and I’ll kick my leg out and scare myself. :heehee:
And..... I’m getting them in both knees. Double scare!!

Congrats on knee number 2 !! Sounds like all is going well, just plough through these first few weeks.

Oh the feeling of being clean after a surgery...ahhhh!! I'm glad it worked out well for you, that itchy stuff sucks!!

I hope you got lots of napping accomplished.
:yawn::sleep::hugzz:

I think you’re beyond brave. What a great role model! My temper has not improved much and since I’m originally from Brooklyn the tantrums are quite X-rated.

So glad your second knee seems better and easier. Sorry about the itching. Allegra worked best & fastest (15 minutes) for me. Benadryl (plain or in TylenolPM) really messed up my sleep. Zyrtec wasn’t as good at stopping the itching and I get nauseous when I stop that.

Is your pain near where the tourniquet was? I did not have sciatica per se, and had no bruising from the tourniquet (thigh? groin?), but felt pain and discomfort from it in my hip and thigh after both knees. Fades eventually, but....

Napping/sleeping for 1 1/2 hours in the day was recommended by my OS for at least the first few weeks after surgery, and definitely the first two; his alternative: resting for same; ie, just get as comfortable as possible, and do nothing, not even read or use computer. Had better stamina when I did this. Surprisingly, it did not affect my nighttime sleep.

My bandages were waterproof so I started showering with my husband assisting on day 2 after both knee and the shoulder surgeries, but used the walk-in shower (the one he designed for me after watching/helping with the first knee) so I did not have to lift either leg and could sit. Trickier for you if you have to step into a tub. Good luck.

Interesting that you are more lucid this time. Perhaps because you know what to expect? More stoic?

Keep checking for your updates and hoping you're doing fine with knee #2.

Beloved says this knee is significantly more swollen than the other. No, I still havent chosen designations. I dislike posting from my phone, but sitting in my computer chair increases swelling. So I have been spending a lot less time here than I would prefer. I miss everyone.

I do find it interesting that last time I had a lot of pain around the bottom implant when I just rested my foot in the floor and so far that doesnt seem to be an issue. Early days.

My pain has been more manageable, I've already cut back a bit on the daytime narcotics. I am definitely not rushing anything.

Today was another day with my leg up on the LD watching streaming.

Tomorrow should be both my first home PT for real and a nurse to take the dressing off. I hope that helps the intense itching I'm having. It feels very rashy under the adhesive. We shall see.

Somehow tomorrow is a whole week already!! Not sure how that happened.

I have been wondering why you were not your normal chatty self.
:censored: swelling.....

Hopefully the dressing coming off will help that dang itching!
Glad to hear you are doing well overall, I've been thinking about you.
:loveshwr:

@Jockette You asked in Steelergals thread if my insurance mandates PT. The answer is, I dont know. I just know that if you ever miss an eye dot or t cross with insurance it can cause problems and I'd much rather be obstreperous with a home PT person than cause insurance issues. So home PT comes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member