TKR Apricotpie and his right TKR

Currently taking the minimum dose of acetaminophen and Oxycondon recommended by the doctor. Higher doses reduce the pain a bit more but t the price of mental confusion and constipation.

I wish I could take ibuprofen because of its anti-inflammatory effects. But my doc says no to NSAIDs.

I am now three weeks out from the surgery and I am thinking the doctor made a mistake. Instead of putting in the knee prosthetic, he implanted a huge cantaloupe into my knee instead. :) My poor knee swells up quite a bit and can get quite painful. OTOH, I can walk a it on two feet (but I still keep a walker or cane nearby), and stairs are do-able one step at a time. At least I don't have to camp out in my bedroom all day. :)

I picked up a used aircast device. No electric motor. Gravity feed. Simple and easy to use.
I have an Aircast device and I like it. However, one must have the upper body strength to pick and up lower the water jug to periodically recharge the cuff with cold ice water. If that is an issue, I would get one with an electric motor

I am now three weeks out from the surgery and I am thinking the doctor made a mistake. Instead of putting in the knee prosthetic, he implanted a huge cantaloupe into my knee instead. :)
It’s great to be able to keep your sense of humor in this recovery!:heehee:

Hi @ApricotPie! You’re a week ahead of me and it’s nice to see where i may be soon! I’m using the cane at home but still on the walker outside and longer distances. I’m in love with my ice machine, so I’m glad you got one! I hope it helps with the swelling so you can get some relief. Hang in there...as i keep telling myself, soon this will be but a memory.

Aquacell covering removed. Just some scabbing and a few steri strips left. I’m told to let them fall off on there own. That’s fine with me.

RTKR July 15, 2019

I can now sleep on my left side with a pillow between my knees.
My envy knows no bounds. I still can't sleep on either side, no matter how much I fuss and rearrange the pillows. I miss it terribly.

I'm almost 5 weeks from surgery and still struggling with a very swollen and stiff knee. It feels like there is a big thick rubber ball surrounding my knee that does not want to expand one bit past a certain point. My Rom has stayed at 95 degrees for about two weeks. My brain knows the recovery process is a long and difficult one, but my personality wants to see more progress faster. I am getting tired of staying at home. The good news is that the incision is healing nicely and looks like it won't leave much of scar.

Pain is not bad, mostly what I call nuisance pain. I have added ibuprofen to Tylenol as my OTC pain meds because it is anti-inflamatory, and I am hopping that will help with the swelling. I switch between the two so as to give my stomach, liver and kidneys a break from having to process the meds. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems reasonable to me. I take the ibuprofen before I do my ROM PT or take a walk. I am being careful not to do any exercise that takes me past the point of being 'uncomfortable'. I am also spreading out the exercises over the entire day on the theory that that will not irritate the knee as much. Knee inflammation reminds me of a sleeping baby - don't wake it up!

Three days ago, I tried using my stationary bike. Oh boy! If the seat was any higher my head would go through the ceiling! It was uncomfortable getting the first two rotations, but after that I did a very slow work-out for about 2 minutes and then quite for the day. My knee was not particularly happy with it, so I have avoided the bike since then, but since I do enjoy biking the local trails, I want to get back to it sooner than later.

I console myself with the knowledge that had I not had this operation, my knee would have hit a similar point of dysfunction in the next few years anyway. At least with the surgery I have a fighting chance to improve .

You really are doing well, though it may not seem like it. You are making good decisions.

My surgeon was ok with me taking ibuprofen and Tylenol. I always had something to eat when I took any medication, even if it was just a cracker.

I took something every 3 hours and alternated ibuprofen and Tylenol.

For example, ibuprofen at 6 am, Tylenol at 9 am, ibuprofen at noon, Tylenol at 3pm, ibuprofen at 6 pm Tylenol at 9pm.

Because I wasn’t taking any other medication with Tylenol in it I took a fourth dose of Tylenol during the night, making sure it was at least 6 hours after the previous dose and therefore staying within safe limits for me.

Each dose of the same medication was 6 hours apart, but it gave me something every 3 hours.

It didn’t make me pain free but was enough to help.
I do enjoy biking the local trails, I want to get back to it sooner than later.
You will get back to riding your bike. Just take it slow and gradually. You tried it, knee fussed a bit, you made a good decision to back off a bit, try it again when you think you’re ready, and always listen to the knee. Trying to push the knee further than it’s ready for will just make it rebel, and no one wants that because the knee will always win.

Hang in there, you’re doing great!

I took something every 3 hours and alternated ibuprofen and Tylenol.

For example, ibuprofen at 6 am, Tylenol at 9 am, ibuprofen at noon, Tylenol at 3pm, ibuprofen at 6 pm Tylenol at 9pm.

Because I wasn’t taking any other medication with Tylenol in it I took a fourth dose of Tylenol during the night, making sure it was at least 6 hours after the previous dose and therefore staying within safe limits for me.

Each dose of the same medication was 6 hours apart, but it gave me something every 3 hours.
That’s about what I do except I rig it so i take ibuprofen before I stretch, walk or do stuff that engages the knee.

RTKR July 15, 2019

You're on the right track and doing things that make sense. :thumb:

I am wondering if the anti-clotting effects of ibuprofen might be contributing to my knee’s swelling. Any thoughts?

RTKR July 15, 2019

I believe I can tolerate enough discomfort to get the knee healing.
You can't speed up healing by exercising. It's going to heal at its own rate no matter what you do. But, you can sure slow down the healing by doing too much and keeping it inflamed. Too much exercise contributes to swelling and pain.

I am wondering if the anti-clotting effects of ibuprofen might be contributing to my knee’s swelling.
Swelling at your baby knee's age is natural, unfortunately. It sounds like you're listening to it well and are having a sensible healing. If you find a certain activity causes it to swell more, that stop that thing for a week or so and then slowly try it again.
I do enjoy biking the local trails, I want to get back to it sooner than later.
That was my number one goal, too, and I got there! It was slow going at first, but soon I was biking like I wanted to. This tkr was so worth it!

Yikes! What happened overnight?

I got out of bed this morning to an incredibly stiff knee. The thing is I went easy on it yesterday, doing only about 1/3 of the PT exercises and taking only one short walk of about 10-15 minutes. The stiffness is all around the kneecap, as though somebody had put a tough band around it. It's as though I had taken a fall and hit the ground directly on the kneecap. I am currently icing it in the hope this will drive away some of the soreness. I also took some ibuprofen.

I must admit these setbacks are not fun. I have adjusted to the fact that forward progress will be slow, but going backwards?

Writing is good therapy. Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:
@ApricotPie Thus happened to me the other night. I woke up and it felt like someone had poured cement in the top of my knee. Ice and some gently massaging of the area helped. I don’t know what i did, but whatever it was my knee was mad about it. It sure feels like one step forward and two steps back right now! Take it easy today (that’s also my plan) and i hope it’s feeling better soon!

I was going to write something but my schedule says more icing is needed.

RTKR July 15, 2019

I find that the line between doing and over-doing is very thin and also a moving target. Every time you step over the ODI line, your knee with whine and swell up to tell you how unhappy it is. Ice, elevate, and back the activity off for a few days. I agree that it is intensely frustrating.

My mother used to tell me things like this were 'character building'. My responses would likely get me kicked off the forum. lol

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom