Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

Oh my gosh, what a saga.. I am so sorry @Onestepatatime. I just happened upon your thread and read through it.. I guess you will know more on Thursday. :sad: Which probably feels like a year away. I've never seen or experienced an immobilizer, I hope it isn't too terribly uncomfortable.. Hang in there and I'm sending you hugs and good wishes. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Yikes! So sorry you are dealing with this wrinkle in your healing.

I was alone for much of my recovery too. My son, also 21, helped when he could, as did my mom and sister. Don’t hesitate to reach out to friends. I found that people really wanted to help; they just need some guidance as to what you need.

Hang in there!
:flwrysmile:

I will be watching to see what you learn when you see you doctor on Thursday. In the meantime, I send you as much frivolous distraction as you can tolerate...surely there must be a romantic comedy or two with your name on it...or baking shows...or gardening...or some another time wasting guilty pleasure! And I send wishes for peace in the middle of this uncertainty.

Boy, it sounds like you have had a rough few days----here's hoping your immobilizer does the trick and your appointment brings you good news. The whole surgery/replacement/revision business is so unpredictable and recovery often uneven. But things like this happening, with the added worry of finding employment, and your aunt/her son really can take a toll on you. :console2:

Try to get as much rest as your mind/body allow for the next couple days until your appointment----you have to be so depleted on so many fronts. And do let us all know what you find out.

Those of us who are single have learned to be independent and not to overdo in terms of asking others for help for fear we may be perceived as the "boy who cried wolf". I have found that people often offer to help in general, but I am terrible about reaching back out to them when I have a specific need. I did a better job of that following my hip surgery last August and found that most people were actually glad to be asked, or to be allowed to help. I know it makes me feel good when I can help others, and need to remember to let others have that same experience. :flwrysmile:

Hmmnn Sunday my brother decided it was best I get out of the house and go to his. At their house the toilet is super low. And I used the walker to get up. And maybe sitting at the table and in and out of the car etc could have caused it? I can’t pin point exactly what I did wrong. This Velcro leg brace keeping my leg straight is really hard to navigate in. Sigh.

Does anyone know how or why this happened? I saw one other post of someone who had a dislocation in their sleep also. it is very nerve wracking!

Hello Onestep! I can see how this might happen during your sleep if you usually toss and turn like I do. I used a wedge temperpedic pillow to help keep me on my back, with legs elevated. I’ll see if I can find out how to send you a pic!

Hi Karen
I'm so sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you and while you feel like it's a setback, you will heal and move forward. Let's see if @Josephine can offer us all some insight and you some reasssurance given all her years of experience. I will look forward to her commentary and wish you comfort in the interim.
Hugs :console2:
@Onestepatatime

@Onestepatatime I would not risk it and go to brother's home who has low toilet seat, at least for first few weeks, especially since you already had a dislocation. I would just stay home in my known safe environment. That is just me.

Hello Again, Onestep! Here’s a pic of the wedge pillow I use to sleep that helps keep me on my back, and prevents me from rolling over on the wrong side! Best of luck to you as you continue to heal from the dislocation!!

Hmmm... not sure the pic attached. @ Layla, can you help us determine if the pic went through?

Here it is!!

iOS Image - 2900712924.jpg

Thighs are on the slanted part, and calves on the flat part on top. Very comfortable for both sitting and laying!

Wow - so sorry to hear about this complication

I know that I also struggle with the feeling of being isolated in the house - I will only go to a family members home if it’s not awkward to bring the raised toilet seat - I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to friends unless it’s for the shortest of visits - I’ve passed up restaurant invites because I don’t want to get caught in a situation that I will violate the 90 degree restrictions - and obviously bringing a commode isn’t possible for public venue

I don’t think everyone understands this restriction because they see me moving fairly normally - but it’s tine to care for ourselves first for this short period of time we are under restrictions

I’m wishing you all the best - and that it doesn’t set you back too much

At their house the toilet is super low. And I used the walker to get up.

Been there. Although it is neither pretty nor modest, I've found the best way to get up from a low toilet when away from home is to have someone (or someones) help me up. Using the walker to pull yourself up runs the risk that you will violate 90 degree rule, or do something worse like fall.

I was able to transition from the raised toilet seat pretty quickly, and to not worry about hauling mine around but I am only 5'4". My surgeon had said I might not even need the raised seat, since I am so short, and have short legs to boot. I felt like I did need it at first, however, and it helped a lot.

But after about 2-3 weeks I was able to use the counter and wall to slightly lower myself and raise myself without the raised seat. So if you are really short, it might not be too hard. If you are tall, take it along (or buy an inexpensive spare for the car/traveling :wink:) or ask for help.

I imagine you are about at your wits end with that immobilizer thing stuck on your leg! :censored:I hope your appointment goes well---not sure what exactly that would look like for you at this juncture. But even getting checked and making a new plan will help. Keep us posted. :loveshwr:

Last edited:
This is what I learned from my PT. To get on and off the toilet you need arm rests so your arms can help support you. Your bad leg has to stay extended to avoid 90 degree rule. Your good leg and both arms help lower and raise you.
Armrests are used same way as getting on and off a chair.
I don't know how a walker could help and give you arms support.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts! Wish you didn't have to wait until Thurs for your appt.

So sorry you are dealing with this.
I used my Walker to help get up also but from a toilet riser.
Hopefully all can get settled and things can start going forward.
Sending healing hugs your way.:loveshwr::console2:

I am so curious to hear what your doctor will discover and share with you that might explain what happened. If I were you, I would be very eager to know, so I could make sure I didn’t do that again. I can only imagine how careful you must be right now. I am hoping reassurance comes very soon, so you can get some well-deserved mental and physical relaxation!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom