Recent content by zdclimber

  1. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    Update - It has been about two and a half years since my Patellofemoral PKR. The recovery really exceeded my expectation. While my surgical knee still has some limitations, I have no problems at all in biking, skiing, hiking and rock climbing. From mid-July to early Oct, I rode my fully loaded...
  2. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    Did a lot of skiing/hiking/biking lately but still have not started running yet. I will retire in July and will start bike touring around the world (200 or so days a year) so I don't think I will get to running anytime soon.
  3. Z

    PKR When is Click or Clunk Not Normal?

    I did a 60-mile ride on a flat trail 3 months after my PKR. It's not impossible.
  4. Z

    PKR Medial PKR active 53 year old

    That is really impressive!
  5. Z

    PKR Patellofemoral Replacement

    I had my Patellofemoral PKR 2 years ago and am having a great recovery. It took me two weeks post-surgery to be able to do straight leg raise, and it was still with some pain at that point. So your current status is completely normal.
  6. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    I still have not started regular running. Now ski season just started in northern hemisphere, so I go skiing regularly, 3-4 days a week but only around 3 hours a day. My knee held up quite well so far, completely pain-free. It's day and night comparing before and after my knee surgery. Weeks...
  7. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    It feels different. I felt kneecap pain prior to surgery but now it's discomfort well below tibia plateau on the medial side. Note that with my surgery, I am able to go back to skiing, climbing and bike touring. Running unfortunately isn't one of them, at least not at present.
  8. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    I tried to run a few times, only 400m each time. Every time I did, my knee was a bit uncomfortable during the run after the initial 100m or so. Even though it was just a bit uncomfortable, and my knee was fine after I stopped, I still felt it's a risk not worth taking. I will keep trying every...
  9. Z

    PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

    Don't be overly concerned about ROM at this point. I had the same surgery as yours, my ROM progress was the following - at the end of week 1: 60 2: 80-85 3: 90 4: 105/110 6: 130 8: 140 Now at over 1 year, my ROMs for both knees are about the same - heel on hip. I remember I spend...
  10. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    I have not seriously tried running yet after the surgery. I am planning to give it a try this fall, which is against my surgeon's advice. But even if I can run again, I will not do so more than twice a week and more than 2-3 miles (at very casual pace of 9:00 per mile) every time. No more races...
  11. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    Quick update - I rode my fully loaded touring bike from Seattle to Glacier national park over the last 2 weeks. In the park, I rode the entire Going-to-the-Sun road from Apgar to St Mary. My surgical knee had absolutely no issues during the trip.
  12. Z

    PKR Left knee patellofemoral arthroplasty

    15 months update - Really not much to report. The surgical knee is functioning really well. There are only a couple of minor issues. One is that at the spot where my surgeon did lateral lengthening, there is some discomfort when I do strengthening exercises, usually for the first a few reps...
  13. Z

    PKR Long Story of my Battle with a Bad Knee

    After reading your previous MRI report, I am surprised you had a Medial PKR. My understanding is that Medial PKR is a good option if the cartilage defect is confined to the medial compartment. If other compartments are also affected, which is true in your case, then a TKR is a better option. I...
  14. Z

    PKR Long Story of my Battle with a Bad Knee

    I am not in medical field but I kinda understand what's described in your MRI report. There are two issues - 1. lateral meniscus tear. 2. (kissing) cartilage defects in PFJ. Both under-surface of the kneecap and the trochlear have moderate cartilage defects, and the bones under the cartilage...
Back
Top Bottom