Recent content by WVHipChick

  1. WVHipChick

    THR knee/hip, hip/knee

    That's awesome @mikesafish! Love hearing your positive approach and success story. When did you really feel like your new hip joint was good as new and good to go? I'm in my first week and still feel like being overly cautious, which I hear is pretty normal. However, my PT told me second week is...
  2. WVHipChick

    THR just a little update

    Hang in there @froggymom! You are incredible for checking in after everything you've been through. Prayers your way for your continued healing. So grateful for your family taking care of you. Please get some rest. RTHR, 1/12/17
  3. WVHipChick

    THR On the other side! Amen!

    Learning more every day about what is good pain vs bad pain. I'm having pain in my right heel today. Same side as replacement. Also, thank you @Bellydansr and @Tweetybrd for your words of encouragement. I'm apparently not too great at texting on meds. RTHR, 1/12/17
  4. WVHipChick

    THR On the other side! Amen!

    Hey @ Tweetybrd! I'm sorry if I gave that illusion to ween off the heavy stuff early. Regardless of BMs, these pain killers are very necessary for smooth recovery. Our hips need to move and not be sedentary too long. If we don't feel that pain, we'll do our HW. I did cut back from 2 to 1...
  5. WVHipChick

    One Day at a Time

    I think the "loo" next to your bed is really key. I'm wondering how many dislocations occur because patients panic. No worries. You got this. New hippie on the way! Good luck @ Miss Muffet! RTHR, 1/12/17
  6. WVHipChick

    THR On the other side! Amen!

    Day 4 finally a "movement". I was getting a little worried. I think weening myself off the heavy pain killers definitely did the trick. I did wake up once to tinkle and took 1000 mg Tylenol for the pain. I'm very glad I take my doc's advice. Can I just say Thank God for awesome nurses and...
  7. WVHipChick

    Life restrictions

    The weight gain has been interesting. These man made parts when switched out from bone to metal. Are we talking about an extra 1lb or 2lb gain? I'm guessing the extra 10lbs I'm seeing is from fluid retention. Can I just say there are so many cool hip replacement helpers. I love all my grabby...
  8. WVHipChick

    Life restrictions

    Do you know why the US does not keep a registry for these parts like other countries do? RTHR, 1/12/17
  9. WVHipChick

    THR On the other side! Amen!

    Hip Hip hooray! Love having a wonderful new working hip. And, thank goodness for pain meds and great nurses! As for meds, I'm taking Dilaudid every three hours as needed. He's also giving me magnesium, aspirin, Tylenol, Senekot and another med for nerve pain. The pain has been between a four...
  10. WVHipChick

    THR On the other side! Amen!

    Day started with 20oz lemon lime Gatorade drank at 4am. Arrived at the hospital, Posterior approach performed in 1 HR. Walked 45 min later with walker. No nausea. I've been asked several times if I'm dizzy. Side note, blood loss has been one bag at 100 and decreasing. Pain has switched. Feels...
  11. WVHipChick

    Ready to go! RTHR tomorrow.

    Very excited but still a little worried about all the dislocation talk. Hard not to think about messing up. I cross my legs even when I'm sleeping! Well, I won't "go there" anymore. The huge blessing of a pain free hip awaits in my future. I did had a fever of 100 yesterday. All clear today. Dr...
  12. WVHipChick

    Acupuncture before surgery

    **Follow up** The Gatorade is part of the Enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) protocol.
  13. WVHipChick

    Acupuncture before surgery

    https://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/10/17/31272.aspx Also, starting in 2017, Sibley Medical Center (a Johns Hopkins Hospital) is now advising surgical patients to drink 20oz of Gatorade to lessen the effects of anesthesia. WOW. I needed this one year ago!
  14. WVHipChick

    Acupuncture before surgery

    Anyone decide to have the "needle" treatment before your THR? With my mastectomy, I only found out afterwards how beneficial this type of treatment was for decreasing pain during recovery. Johns Hopkins is now recommending it to their bc patients. Not sure how hip surgery will react to it. I do...
Back
Top Bottom