Recent content by tanvat

  1. T

    THR Finally! Left Hip Anterior Recovery

    I’m now 18 months out from my total left hip replacement and 16 months from the right. I thought I’d share my experience for those who are contemplating THR or are in recovery. After the initial swelling from surgical trauma settled after two weeks, I had rapid, noticeable improvement every...
  2. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! I’m now 8 months out from LTHR and 6.5 months out from RTHR. Recovery has been fantastic and I am still experiencing incremental improvements in range of motion. Aside from choosing not to engage in high impact movements like running or jumping, I...
  3. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    Update and question re weight training. I turned 50 this summer with two new hips (April ‘23 and June ‘23) that have given me my life back. If you’re in the fence, step off of it and go for it! My question is how much lower body weight training is too much? I’ve always been active...
  4. T

    THR Finally! Left Hip Anterior Recovery

    Quick update: anterior right THR on April 13 of this year followed by an anterior left THR on June 1. Recovery has been great. The only issue is some mild, lingering iliopsosas irritation, but it’s not a big deal. I’m not in a marching band, so fact my right leg barks if I try to raise my...
  5. T

    THR There and back!

    Nasruddin, Sounds like you are doing quite well. Keep it up, be patient, and ease back into the long recovery glide path.
  6. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    Nearly 8 weeks out on the right and over 3 months on the left. What an amazing difference from the pre-surgery situation. Can walk at a normal pace with a normal gait. Easing back into lower body workouts and steadily regaining strength, endurance, and ROM. So far, not real setbacks -...
  7. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    Now 4 and one half weeks out and things are progressing nicely. Just back from a half mile walk around the neighborhood and I can tell I am close to being able to walk fluidly with no problem. I only walk the mile loop because I’ve made a deal with myself to wait to six weeks to start going...
  8. T

    THR Post-op leg swelling

    Have had both hips replaced this spring; most recent in June 1. I had significant swelling for the first 8 or 9 days on both, followed by fairly quick subsidence. Four and a half weeks out, I still have some swelling in my right foot. It’ll subside over time
  9. T

    THR Iliosoas muscle inflammation post THR

    I don’t know if it was that particular muscle, but two weeks ago when I two weeks out from left THR I had some real pain and discomfort at my thigh and groin area. Got stuck in a chair for about an hour. Two weeks later … can walk and move easily and am easing back into the gym. Has both hips...
  10. T

    THR Please tell me this gets better

    It gets better, way better. I had a left THR in mid-April and a right THR on June 1. For both, Days 3-7 involved a lot of swelling, that dead “log leg” feeling, constant annoying discomfort punctuated by some pain. On Days 8 - 9, swelling started to slowly decrease and function started to...
  11. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    I had an anterior approach and they had me bend down and tie my shoes in the hospital prior to discharge - as in a couple hours of waking up. Been doing that for both hips since Day 1 - but sometimes with help from my wife. They didn’t give me a 90 degree restriction - yikes, hope I’m not...
  12. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    Week 3: just back from 3 week follow up and all my new parts are in place and looking good. Today was also the first day where - somewhat suddenly - I feel I can walk a bit with a good, fairly natural feeling gate with decent pace. Very similar to my left hip which was replaced back in April...
  13. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    It was short-lived, but wow. Feel alright now, but a bit more tightness from whatever that was. Just one of the minor detours along the way - it is interesting how fickle things can be in the early days
  14. T

    THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

    So, about 20 minutes ago, just as I finished responding to a post on their site, I went to get up and felt a sharp pain in the inside of my hip and emanating down my groin. I was stuck in my recliner and, whew, that was the sharpest recovery pain I’ve had bar none. I was stuck in place for...
  15. T

    THR Left hip THR - June 8th, 2023 recovery process

    I know it may be disconcerting, but don’t sweat the swelling. I‘be had two THRs in the last nine weeks; the most recent on right hip on June 1. I’m 49. As I sit here enjoying the US Open on TV, my right foot and ankle is still swollen - actually has a jiggle to it when I walk. My whole leg...
Back
Top Bottom