Recent content by SrSwede

  1. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Actually thanks Chris. I often have trouble even finding my own thread. Today the doc took the splint away and gave me some exercise instructions. He said all the stiffness was scar tissue. Presumably I need to break that up. But he put off serious exercise for 3 months from surgery date...
  2. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Next visit tomorrow afternoon. Hope he scraps the splint. Gotten pretty loose and I think it is bending my index finger toward middle, a problem that was to be solved. No pain unless I catch it on the turn signal when driving. Splint hits it and I go to the ceiling. He gave me 2 videos of...
  3. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    The OT therapist told me to come back every day if necessary. No problems. In fact since it slipped off twice now (in spite of the velcro tightening strap) it may need an adjust/replacement Monday after visiting the surgeon.
  4. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Everyone needs a good laugh. So I am 3 weeks out and have gone thru 3 splints made by Occupational Therapy (OT-PT for hands). My wife is driving me (I am allowed to drive) but she wants to do that so I go along. Today I cut the lawn. Self propelled walk behind and a lawn tractor. I finished...
  5. S

    TKR Orangeman - TKR or Bilateral TKR?

    I suppose age is a factor as well. I am heading toward two yet I am able to survive on Eufflexa injections in both every 6 months. I also have a "foreign body" floating in one which the doc said could "lock up my knee" without notice. All this at 74.
  6. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Right now I need to get the swelling down but it is slow. Icing your finger gets really cold really quick. Holding your hand in the air is torture. I know, we used to have wayward soldiers hold their 7# battle rifle (2 hands) over their heads...not fun
  7. S

    Finger/Thumb Carpometacarpal (CMC) Joint Treatment?

    I posted my two experiences with CMC Arthroplasty on someone's thread. Perhaps you can search by my name. I am brand new to this forum.
  8. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    I guess I am 2 weeks out and 3 splints in. The hand therapist molds them out of plastic sheets with velcro straps. First one went under my finger but last 2 have been over the finger. They tell me to come back as needed...everyday if I have a problem. The stitches are out and the wounds...
  9. S

    Hand hand arthritis?

    I am a complete compendium of arthritis...it is a family thing. My children are forewarned. I am sitting in my dentist's waiting room with a splint on my left index finger recovering from a PIP joint replacement and a DIP joint freeze about 2 weeks ago. I am in my 3rd splint!
  10. S

    Hand hand arthritis?

    In the end your Ortho or Hand Surgeon may recommend a CMC joint arthoplasty. All of your fingers and thumb pivot on a number of small bones and in a CMC Arthroplasty a 5 sided bone that I believe is the trapezium is removed and replaced with a section of a ligament from your forearm that is...
  11. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Correction: In my first post I listed my "local anesthesia" cocktail as Xylocaine and atropine. Whoops, Flash back to Army Officer days. Scratch Atropine (used for nerve gas) and insert epinephrine. Now I am back on track which must be a metaphor to my railroad conductor days. I guess I...
  12. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    There, not so bad. I have scope photos of shoulder surgery that are interesting. Colonoscopy photos that are boring. X-rays that are "just parts". Operative notes are much more fun. Ask for them.
  13. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Djklaugh, I was pleased with your comment that my photos although "gory" could help some forsee what surgery is like. I believe people should see the immediate aftermath as we as the final results. At my age I have seen much and some of everyday life is not always pretty. So here is a section:
  14. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Day 8 and I got up at 6AM to prepare for the arrival of a crew to jackhammer out the entire floor of a garage. Just like in The Night Before Christmas I "sprung out of bed" only to find that I had lost the finger splint that was constructed for me yesterday and my finger was only clothed in...
  15. S

    Finger/Thumb SeeDoc Tomorrow

    Had to call the Surgeon's office today. I had beaten up the gauze and Ace bandage wrap. My finger also had a plaster type cast around it. The wrap was filthy. A Physician Assistant removed the dressings and the doctor ran me thru some motions after removing the final incision coverings...
Back
Top Bottom