Recent content by soSuesew

  1. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    A round of applause for me, please, but also a note of encouragement for others who are facing a slow recovery. The PT and I threw caution to the wind yesterday and measured my ROM. A grand 115 degrees - not much by many's standards but I have fought and struggled for every degree. So, in case...
  2. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    Well, I've been chugging along in my own slow way but hit the brakes a week or so ago when I started getting stiffer and experiencing some pain and swelling front and medial side of the new knee. It was sufficiently uncomfortable that I took my walking stick out today, as the knee has been...
  3. soSuesew

    TKR Foreign bodies...

    I was chatting to a friend recently about replacement surgery - she has had both hips replaced. I was fascinated by her experience - she was very disturbed by the idea of the prostheses, that they were 'foreign' and did not belong to her. She felt very differently about her body for a long...
  4. soSuesew

    TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

    To use a common British expression for 'astonished' - wow, I'm gobsmacked! And not a little envious...
  5. soSuesew

    MUA zumbaGirl's knee

    Sonja, my (French) surgeon says he doesn't believe in them, except for in the most extreme circumstances, and can't remember the last time he did a MUA. I can't believe that French knees are so different to US ones and yet, such a difference in protocols. (I asked him why he thought they were...
  6. soSuesew

    TKR More front tightness after 18 months

    Keith, I don't know the book so this comment isn't aimed directly at it but I say 'very big raspberry' to most of the published stuff (except BoneSmart, of course). Although there are good sources of information, they deal in 'average' and 'typical' and many of us aren't average and typical...
  7. soSuesew

    MUA zumbaGirl's knee

    I'm not a great source of advice as I have been recovering at glacial speed but, ZumbaGirl, I think you need to take a deep breath and consider the options. You have had major invasive surgery only six weeks ago, physiotherapy that has perhaps made things worse rather than better, and you are...
  8. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    The lady at the strawberry farm rang at lunchtime to ask if I wanted strawberries for jam-making. And if I did, could I collect this afternoon before she offered them to someone else? Collected them and thought I'd better make the jam straightaway while the fruit was at its best. Potted and...
  9. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    It's a mystery to me, Nanners, why we (well, me, at least) find it so difficult to hear what we're being told. I am the queen of internet research and researched tkr to the nth degree. My lovely surgeon explained it (and checked my understanding, given the language thing). The GP, never one to...
  10. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    D Diva, one of the hardest things for me about this experience has been to let go of my expectations, other people's expectations, my perceptions of other's expectations...I think I would have had a heart attack nine months ago if someone, especially the doctor, had suggested that I might need...
  11. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    Thanks Sheryl. In some ways, this is still a dilemma for me. 110 + degress isn't great but, given the circumstances, it'll do. But there's a danger in this - I'm aware that, subconsciously, I could stop making the effort and, well...settle (especially as I am allergic to exercise). I guess it's...
  12. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    Well, I'm an infrequent visitor to the forum and my thread but, since I've just seen the surgeon for a check-up, I thought I'd post an update. It's six months since I've seen the surgeon (I'm now more than nine months post-op) and, in the interim, I've gone back to an extended period of...
  13. soSuesew

    TKR Please: Some advice for one week out..

    I'm no expert but can heartily say, from my own experience, that recovery is an individual process in terms of levels of pain, speed, drugs and pain management, and movement. Can I (gently) suggest that worrying about being way behind is counter-productive? I have worried endlessly about my...
  14. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    For the first three months I had physio, the exercise bike sat in the corner of the physio's office and mocked me - I just could not do a complete forward revolution. The operated knee would go so far and just stick. Fast forward three months to yesterday afternoon and I'm back at physio (boo)...
  15. soSuesew

    TKR Looking for reassurance - or company for my misery...

    Just a normal working village, Elisea, so farms, little houses, some bigger houses, a church, a small school...280 people getting by. But our local town, five miles away, Montreuil-sur-Mer, is beautiful with ramparts and very old buildings. It is a different way of life, although not always...
Back
Top Bottom