Recent content by Smurph

  1. Smurph

    Everyone telling me how awful my surgery will be.. I'm scared.

    We all fear the unknown, but in my experience the unknown is always worse than the reality. The first time they helped me get up and stand on my new knees was miraculous - there was no knee pain - I could walk pain free. I will never ever forget that moment. And regret not having this TKR...
  2. Smurph

    MUA Whome08's Recovery thread

    At your 2 week checkup was that the first post-op dressing change to your knee? My dressing stays on until my 2 week check when he removes it. I find it feels like it is restricting my flexion and really pulls on the incision. What was the removal experience like?
  3. Smurph

    TKR Word from the Other Side

    Wednesday Day 7 Can't believe my surgery was a week ago. Time/days are flying by. Awoke 7 am without usual middle of the night Percocet feeling pretty good, swelling down a bit, pitting edema L foot persists but less. Did some mild in bed PT exercises to discomfort of 3, ambulated to...
  4. Smurph

    TKR Scruffy’s recovery journey

    If they're using a Cryo Cuff wrap circulating cold water around your knee check that they refill it with fresh ice as it melts. Usually once every 8 hours is enough. Also have them check that it's plugged in and operating; everytime someone moved something in the room mine would become...
  5. Smurph

    TKR Word from the Other Side

    Thanks Larryhg3. PT's not scheduled to return until Friday so I'm just going to step back from that, give tincture of time a chance to work, ice, elevate continue being mobile for short short periods. Be more Queenly. Listen to the music as I wander down this bumpy wandering road.
  6. Smurph

    TKR Word from the Other Side

    Day 5 Monday Evening. My bad. You're so right Celle. You saw it coming.... At bedtime my left ankle (that needs fusion) was 1+ pitting edema, left knee moderately swollen for first time, and echimosis blooming medial inside of knee. Am sure it was going to bloom no mater what I did but it's...
  7. Smurph

    TKR Feggie's TKR Journey <

    Yes takes a while to set up your routine rotating the frozen ice bottles. Glad the rash is resolving. Episodes of restful sleep should improve. I've learned to use the Do Not Disturb function on my cell phone when I nap to ensure uninterrupted rest time. And set an alarm to awake me so I...
  8. Smurph

    TKR Word from the Other Side

    Thanks Celle,. I'll have to pay more attention to my efforts. When trying hard and challenged, the effort does affect my breathing and I have to remember to take some deep breaths, and my scalp gets all hot and diaphoretic; and then I back off; if I were to continue I'd look like I've stepped...
  9. Smurph

    TKR Word from the Other Side

    Dinner and a Game. Perfect evening Sunday Day 4: Red Sox Won! I continued with home exercising every 2-3 hours throughout the day to discomfort level of 8; discomfort 2-3 at rest., then Percocet ii after a walk about followed by elevation, ice, and rest. Long afternoon nap. To sleep after...
  10. Smurph

    Knee Prep

    So right SusieShoes, Thanks.
  11. Smurph

    Image From Recent MRI

    We all seem to wait until the disability interferes greatly with our activities of daily living. I like many wish I'd asked for help sooner.
  12. Smurph

    Every New Journey....

    Due to your high current activity level you might find that a Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in sports injuries or caring for the pro teams to be your best resource. He'd be better able to keep you going post-op at that level of of fitness. Look to the professional Board Certified Orthopedic...
  13. Smurph

    What to pack ?

    Slippery nightie is the key at home; in hospital I just used theirs as it snapped over IV arm easily and I could change it so it was always fresh. Think of how you want to position yourself safely for ride home and have driver bring cooler with ice wrap or packs for knee, pillow for elevation...
  14. Smurph

    What to pack ?

    I had daughter hold my thinned down wallet with: ID, medical cards, one Visa card for hospital co-payment, $20 cash never used, list of all meds I take. Wore loose fitting clothes that would get over post-op dressing, slip on shoes but secure enough for hall walking and discharge. I relied on...
  15. Smurph

    High Blood Pressure

    Try no pre-processed foods; just cook from scratch with plenty of fruit and vegies. No soda's or "from concentrate" juices; no added salt to cooking or at the table. Luckily I'm satisfied just drinking water. Take BP randomly throughout the day whenever you think of it so it becomes no big...
Back
Top Bottom