Recent content by shrdlu

  1. S

    PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

    I hope this works for you. The description of the procedure reminds me a bit of how the doctor described a "blood patch" that can be given after a back injection. Crazy question, but wouldn't a cortisone shot also reduce the inflammation? What is the advantage to PRP over cortisone? My PT...
  2. S

    TKR Round 2, RTKR, a new journey and hope

    I haven't used one, but they sell waterproof sleeves for casts that might work for the knee.
  3. S

    TKR Pain and stiffness - when does it ease up?<

    I thought I was elevating with my 1st knee-- but my leg wasn't elevated enough. I was only using 2 couch pillows to prop up my foot when sitting in the recliner-- my leg was actually about level at that point versus elevated. Remember "toes above nose." That means if you are sitting in a...
  4. S

    TKR Round 2, RTKR, a new journey and hope

    Good luck on your recovery, and congrats on the new knee. A hand-held shower attachment works wonders for showering. (Or a willing husband holding a watering can...lol) They make them (the hand-held shower attachment, not the husband) to replace your regular shower head. I used a hand held...
  5. S

    TKR Need TKR ROM advice 9 weeks out<

    I am 8 weeks with a PKR. I did 2 months PT (3x per week), but I did very few exercises at home. I ended PT (yesterday!) with 0/136 ROM. I only really began trying to gain ROM at about 5 weeks. At 4½ weeks my ROM was -4/106. So I gained 30 degrees in about 3 weeks. The only thing I...
  6. S

    TKR Sharp pain 9 months post-op

    I lose 10 pounds after knee replacements (surgery + lack of appetite the first week). But then, due to not moving around much, that weight slowly comes back as I recuperate and my appetite picks back up. Even when I eat healthy, the weight still slowly comes back. So your weight gain might...
  7. S

    TKR Tramadol after stopping- problems sleeping?'

    Ask your doctor when you can put anything on the area, as it depends on how fast you heal. After the doctor clears it, there are several things you can try. One of my docs recommended Mederma as being best for scars (he said it was better than vitamin E, which used to be what was...
  8. S

    TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

    That is exactly what I am afraid will happen. PT keeps telling me that I have enough ROM, but then they haven't seen me crawling underneath the house or sticking my head underneath the counters to fix the sink. I have a fear of trying to squat and suddenly doing an unexpected MWA. After any...
  9. S

    ROM and Extension stretches

    Great ideas Roy. I don't know if this was mentioned before, but for those who don't have access to a skateboard, you might instead try a furniture dolly (aka movers dolly) as a cheap alternative. I got some for less than $15 each at Harbor Freight (in the U.S.). Northern Tool also carries...
  10. S

    PKR partial knee replacement x2, swelling<<

    @Josephine That is what my leg does. If my leg gets too swollen, when I elevate it, it has a painful burning sensation as the leg drains and the swelling goes down. It takes a minimum of twice as long to un-swell it as it did to swell it up (often longer). That is why I work very hard to...
  11. S

    TKR My Pain meds..everyone has an opinion.

    You haven't mentioned your pain levels if you don't take the pain pills. Most people tend to gradually forget to take a pill because they don't hurt...which leads to naturally weaning off of the pain pills. You are already choosing to take a lower dose.
  12. S

    PKR partial knee replacement x2, swelling<<

    Elevation can hurt if the leg is too swollen, as the leg burns as it drains. The key for me was to keep the leg elevated almost all the time during that first month. I also slept with the leg on a foam leg wedge that I purchased from my PT, and that made a big difference in my ability to...
  13. S

    TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

    I still can't imagine walking that far less than 4 months after knee replacement. Wow. You are doing great.
  14. S

    PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

    Quad weakness is lingering with Bullwinkle (the knee's temporary name) too. What exercises are they having you do for it?
  15. S

    TKR Knee tightness and lack of sleep<

    One more word of encouragement. When I left PT for my 1st (right) knee, I was -3 active (on my own) and 0 passive (if the therapist pushed on the knee). But I couldn't seem to get the leg straight by my own. My intentions were good, but of course I didn't keep up the exercises, especially...
Back
Top Bottom