Recent content by rosieNZ

  1. R

    Spinal versus general anesthetic

    I was very happy with my epidural. I didnt have sedation (but I know that's not for everyone). I could see anything icky because of the surgical drapes but at first I could see my knee reflected in the theater lights. Wasnt too sure that was a good thing! However they moved the light so no...
  2. R

    How to manage when you have no support from family

    Hi Becky Sorry to hear your struggles. You can do this on your own using a very sensible approach. Bonesmart has plenty of info to help. Firstly, read widely using Bonesmart. You need to understand what is needed over some specific times and how you will manage this. Its doable!. Write down...
  3. R

    Ambivalence: in Denial or is it Not Time Yet?

    Hi Alice Bone on bone is not going to be comfortable unless new technology can rebuild us without joint replacement. Denial? Sure! We all do it. I went on holiday (jaguar camp in isolated area in Brazil) ignoring my knee pain and it totally collapsed and developed a huge effusion. I then had...
  4. R

    Hospital stay

    Hi Sara I wore shorts and wide leg pants in hospital and at home. Nothing fussy all loose. But not so loose as to be a hazard. I came home on crutches on day 3 so I needed to be comfortable and able to negotiate a step up into our van/SUV and up our garden path. Didnt want to scare anyone by...
  5. R

    TLKR 10/31....Mixed emotions

    With my first TKR I followed surgical advice and was miserable! Leg was swollen, suture line started to come apart and it was so sore. With knee no 2 I followed bonesmart. Ice, rest, compression and elevation for 2 weeks. I was a couch potato and didnt put any expectations on myself. My recovery...
  6. R

    TLKR 10/31....Mixed emotions

    Hi there. Its a weird thing having a joint replacement. I felt like you "do I really need this done, am I imagining it" etc. Even though I couldn't walk! You have a bone on bone assessment no doubt with scans and xrays to support the diagnosis so you do need it. If you delay it doesnt get...
  7. R

    Must I go to a facility or have a live-in keeper?

    Well that doesnt sound like my experience. I had a TKR 5 months ago. The first 1-2 weeks are the most challenging. I was home alone all day and I had crutches to walk with for days 3 and 4 post op. Then I dropped to 1 crutch and then a stick by the end of week 1. My husband set up my game ready...
  8. R

    When is the right time for knee replacement?

    You have had frequent surgical interventions with a deteriorating quality of life. Personally I think if you have a reputable and skilled surgeon prepared to operate then seize your opportunity. Bone on bone damage and pain is something to avoid. Its horrible. I pretty much ended up with a very...
  9. R

    Tomorrow is the day...

    Hugs xxx its the perfect storm. Grieving and dealing with the unknowns of surgery all at once is tough. You did the right thing for your dog, the loving decision. Now is the time to focus on you. It will be fine. Everything will work out. Dont worry about sleeping. You will catch up post op xxx
  10. R

    rollercoaster...

    Believe it or not, when surgery is done (and you have recovered and its fabulous ) you will pretty much forget all this happened. Just imagine!!
  11. R

    Use of recliner post RTKR surgery

    That's very worrying for you. Im sure you will get some expert advice here sip don't panic. Many PT and surgeons worry abour the surgical knee being bent for too long. If its any help I spent my first few weeks post op on my recliner doing no exercise just resting. I have normal flexion and...
  12. R

    Surgery in 10 days

    Thats do weird Im in New Zealand. I was discharged on day 3 without a calf pump in sight! Did have one on the day of surgery otherwise it was get up and get walking! Maybe you are not expected to walk? Re needing 2 people post op. My husband went to work so I was home alone. It was fine. Of...
  13. R

    New date for TKR

    Fantastic! Not so long to wait with your worn knee I net you are busy getting everything in place!
  14. R

    Return to office job timeline - question and venting!

    Hi. I was back at work at 3weeks post op. I was okay and experience few problems but here they are. 1. Rehabs is harder when you work for all your intentions. 2. Legs swell if not elevated and iced sufficiently. 3. Its major surgery and you will probably be tired which makes you kess efficient...
  15. R

    Apprehensive about upcoming bilateral PKRs (Sept 18th)

    Its 3am in NZ Im awake after a hard day yesterday and Im reading your post. Life is a progression. Sooner or later basketball wont be something you do. With knee replacement surgery you will swap the pain and disability for a new horizon of possibilities. I had TKR x2. I wonder if partials...
Back
Top Bottom