Use of recliner post RTKR surgery

pdlinda

Country
United States United States
I started pre-op PT today at a new facility because I chose a different OS than the one whose PT facility I've been going to since January, 2019.

In the course of off-handed discussion with the new PT She mentioned that the use of a recliner was discouraged by some of the docs in the practice I'm now using post surgery. I was quite surprised as, on the suggestion of the original OS I consulted that a recliner would aid my post-op recovery, I bought an expensive one that is being delivered to my home in 3 weeks.

I'll call my new OS tomorrow to verify what the new PT stated, but was wondering about experiences any of you have had post TKR surgery using a recliner.

@pdlinda
Did they say why the use of a recliner is discouraged?
I was lucky to be given a recliner a few weeks after my first hip replacement and have been using it continually with the second hip and the left knee.
I think everyone agrees that resting, icing and elevating is the way to go and in my opinion the recliner is helpful to get you into the correct position. Even when elevated the foot position isn't high enough but I just put an extra cushion or two under the foot to raise it higher and because the back reclines I am able to get my top half lower.
Throughout the 3 ops I have found that sleeping was a real issue and I would get up and wander about the house during the night but then found that the recliner was often more comfortable than the bed and slept there.
It a thumbs up from me for the recliner.

I can't understand why recliners would be discouraged, doesn't make sense. Judge Judy would say if it doesn't make sense it's probably not true.
I used one on my first TKR, and I'll use one again for my next one in a couple of weeks.
But just make sure you have one where you can retract the leg support with the bad leg in the air, or you might need assistance.

That's very worrying for you. Im sure you will get some expert advice here sip
don't panic.
Many PT and surgeons worry abour the surgical knee being bent for too long.
If its any help I spent my first few weeks post op on my
recliner doing no exercise just resting. I have normal flexion and extension, returned to work at 3weeks and have had no real problems.

I'm 6 mths post op now and unrestricted. Life would have been tough without my powered recliner! Best wishes

I honestly can not think of any reason why a recliner would be discouraged. Did your PT say why?

This article about recliners may be useful:
Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

Most recliners don't elevate your legs high enough,so you may need to use a couple of pillows, to achieve better elevation.
There are examples about how to elevate in this article:
Elevation: the do's and dont's

Having said all that, I should let you know that I spent most of my recovery time (when I wasn't walking around) in my recliner. I still sleep in it occasionally.

Don't take any notice of what that PT said. It was a throw-away line, said without justification. I can't think of any valid reason why you shouldn't use a recliner.

You will find that there are many opinions about what to do and not do during this recovery that often contradict each other. That’s all they are. Opinions. Not hard fast rules. Do what works for you.

Personally, I am not comfortable in most recliners. It bothers my back and neck when they tilt my upper body back. I do like them for the footrest, though. But I need a recliner that will raise the foot rest but keep me sitting upright. (Trust me, those are hard to find!)

So, against all advice, when I was sitting in my living room, I was on my couch, sitting up somewhat straight, with my feet on an ottoman, which was just a tad lower than the couch. It was not “ proper” elevation, but my surgical leg was comfortable as it was up enough from “on the floor.”

Any time I was in bed, my leg was up on my elevating wedge, and I slept on the wedge all night. I slept in my bed every night from the first night home from the hospital.

There are dos and don’ts and then there’s what works best for each of us as individuals. Use your common sense and be comfortable, whatever that is for you.

This recovery is definitely not a one size fits all. I don’t think my surgeon or PTs ever even mentioned the word recliner.

For me, my bed was a much more comfortable place to recover than a recliner. I like to be able to shift my position easily, and a recliner doesn't allow me that freedom. Plus, I'm a side sleeper and a recliner isn't comfortable for me on my side. I was very lucky to have been able to sleep on my side again soon after the surgery, so a recliner just wasn't for me. But, many people here loved their recliners for recovery, so it's one of those "one size does not fit all" things. If you're more comfortable in a recliner, then that's where you should be. If you want to rotate between the recliner, your bed and a sofa, then that's what you should do. Everyone is different and what works for one may or may not work for another. I avoided the sofa for a while after my surgery as it was difficult to get up from it until I had recovered a little more. I was more comfortable with short stints in a regular chair at the table, and then back to my nest and my ice machine, in between being up and moving around.

I just spoke to my OS RN and she essentially said what I hear all of you saying: The OS wants you moving around as it's comfortable for you. He doesn't want you sitting in one spot for hours. Rotate where you sit/lay down and all should be fine.

The OS also ordered continuing pre-op PT for me and I appreciate that my insurance has no limit on MD ordered PT.
Now I feel much better!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom