There are a lot of medical professionals on this forum who can answer some of those questions regarding swelling and wound healing. I had pain for 6 months after surgery and thought for sure something had gone wrong. Doc said nope, everything looks good at my follow up appointments and that...
We can all relate to those awful feelings of depression and despair that flood over us in the early days of recovery. I thought they would never end too and that I would be using walking aids for the rest of my life because everything hurt so much. I needed a walker for the first two months...
Welcome to the club that no one wants to join, but you are in the right place! You will find much guidance, comfort and reassurance here. My RTHR was July 13, 2023. I am 8 months post surgery and can definitely say it was successful now that the first 6 months are in the rear view mirror. A...
@Layla and @SurreyGirl, sorry for the late response to your replies in October, somehow I missed them. Have to say things have gotten WAY better than they were 2 months ago. Getting around now without the walker, cane or walking sticks for the most part. With the rainy weather comes slippery...
Mr. Fun, your story is so heartbreaking. I have followed your threads since my surgery on 7.13.23. My recovery has been very difficult but I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately you have not had a similar experience.
Very ironic that your name is Mr. Fun but...
@Jaycey yes, I have been practicing the heel to toe walking with the walker. And of course I overdid it to the point where my big toe was hurting from all the pressure.
Have backed off a bit from that and feel my gait is much improved. Not much limp left which I am happy about. Thank you for...
@Psikey I don't think you are feeling sorry for yourself at all. I think you are suffering from the trauma of having your leg sliced open and your femur sawed off at the top then replaced with man made materials that your body needs time to adjust to.
My surgery was 11 days before yours and I...
@SurreyGirl, that's pretty funny about eyeing up the remaining bottle of morphine. This morning before my walk I popped two tramadol pills that were left over from my last refill. I ended up counting the remaining pills in the bottle knowing that I had better make them last since the doc will...
@Layla, thanks for checking in with me. After a few attempts to do the daily walk with walking sticks rather than the walker, my hip pain on the outside returned to a point where I had to go back on the walker. Sticks are ok for short distances and around the house but for a mile long walk...
Thank you all for the responses. Met with my surgeon today who was very positive and upbeat about my long term outlook for a full recovery. Implant looks good, walking getting easier. Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Able to walk with walking sticks now rather than...
Accidentally hit the post button too early. Started using the walker again by taking it to a long stretch of flat pavement by the beach so I could actually get in some extended walking time. Seems to be helping as I am now up to 1/2 mile each day and feel more flexible. Practicing heel to toe...
I have been on 900mg/day of Gabapentin since before the surgery which helped me survive the excruciating pain in my hip due to the osteoarthritis which was at stage 4 or severe by the time I had surgery on 7.13.23. I was walking thru the house holding onto the walls just to get from room to...
Really appreciate all the kind, helpful comments. Went for another mile walk today with the walker and did okay without too much pain. Needed a long nap afterwards.
Surgeon approved my request for an additional 4 weeks on FMLA so looks like I will be off work until October.
Sure hope at...
Follow up appt with the PA today. Took x rays of lungs and hip. Pneumonia is gone and hip prosthetic "looks good". Decided to use the walker since the doctors office is so far from the parking garage that I was afraid of too much pain walking that distance with just the walking sticks...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.