Recent content by pdx

  1. P

    TKR Range of Motion decreasing<

    Hmmm. Wonder if you had a Baker's cyst behind your knee. When mine released, wow! Instant improvement. In any case, hope you continue to feel better. I think swimming is the best exercise ever!
  2. P

    What is the best case scenario for walking unaided

    @robert johnson Is there any concern by your surgeon or your primary care/cardiologist about out patient surgery, since you're on blood thinners? Just being nosey! Thanks.
  3. P

    Best exercise equipment pre and post op...

    One good thing about the Y or any other gym: Being around other people can be a great motivator. Plus there's usually more than one kind of bike, so you can find something you like. And yes, swimming is great, both pre-op and once your incision heals, post.
  4. P

    TKR Five- & six-year anniversaries

    Happy knees to me! Left six years ago today; right, five years. I couldn't be happier with the results (well, the left valgus couldn't be totally fixed, but otherwise ...) The thing that helped me the most: The pool. Water jogging & "cycling" really improved my range of motion. I continue to...
  5. P

    TKR New knee pain 18 months after TKR

    Saran wrap! (Or Glad, or whatever.) Wrap it around your knee enough to cling but not cut off circulation. Or use bandage tape (paper tape, not super-adhesive) and put a patch of Saran wrap over the scar until it's less sensitive.
  6. P

    Preparing for knee replacement surgery

    @Josephine I'm guessing the issue isn't anaesthesia but rather that higher doses of opioids are needed for someone taking Suboxone. The surgery practice may not have experience in managing this issue, though it certainly doesn't appear insurmountable. Having said that, Sunny17, maybe ask whoever...
  7. P

    Nails

    The other thing: No shaving or waxing your legs pre-op. Trust me, they've seen worse!
  8. P

    Unloader Knee Brace Help

    Two suggestions: Could you get a referral to physical therapy? When I had one of these braces (years ago; can't recall brand) that's how I learned to use the brace properly. Second: As above, online videos for just about anything now. The guide you got probably has a link, or you could Google...
  9. P

    Preparing for TKR #2 (December 11)!

    Love pool time! I do aqua aerobics and ai chi (water-based tai chi), the latter in a warm water pool. I find water jogging or "bicycling" really helps with leg strength, using either a flotation belt or a "noodle." Good luck!
  10. P

    TKR Medihoney

    Will be following this thread, as I'm hearing more and more about Medihoney for wound healing.
  11. P

    TKR How much have your quads recovered?'

    I can't compete with your mileage, etc., but I did notice when I added hamstring & adductor/abductor strengthening, my riding improved. Hamstring work proved especially helpful.
  12. P

    TKR 7/24/18: Travel concerns

    Because of a family emergency, I had to fly 7 weeks post-op. Of course my first flight was late, meaning I had to zoom to catch my connecting one. (No nonstop available.) The "cart" I had asked to have at the gate to get me to the next one didn't show up. So off I went, limping more the farther...
  13. P

    TKR Incision site

    @MaryMC Suggest you call your doctor Monday & explain the swelling. If you have a tape measure, measure both knees. Some swelling is normal. Suggest you let them know you can no longer raise your leg and when that started. Sorry you're having trouble.
  14. P

    Worried about pain control

    Lots of options other than Oxy, thank goodness. I had hallucinations & refused to take it again, but I found that (in my case) hydrocodone, AKA Norco, worked fine.
  15. P

    TKR yoga poses causing pain 7 Months post op

    Found this. It explains alignment, modifications. I do Pilates, which has many similar movements, and this advice aligns with what I do. Or don't do! https://www.oceanflowfitness.com/yoga-after-knee-replacement-surgery/
Back
Top Bottom