BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Preparing for knee replacement surgery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Sunny17, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Sunny17

Sunny17 new member

United States United States
    I'm a first time user so please be patient with me!

In the next 2 months I'm planning on having knee replacement surgery. I understand that pain meds are necessary!

My question is this: since May 2017 I've been on (2) 8mg/2mg suboxone daily which has changed my life dramatically!!! I understand that you have to stop taking the suboxone before you begin pain meds which scares me... is anyone going through this dilemma???

Thank you

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there and welcome to BoneSmart!

It would help greatly if you would tell us why you are taking suboxone (buprenorphine).

Many doctors in the US prefer patients to be clear of any other meds in their system that might conflict with drugs they will be using during the anaesthetic. I find that strange because here in the UK, we don't have such restrictions.

3. PatriotVet

PatriotVet new member

Although Sunny17 did not respond to your request, this discussion regarding pre-surgery requirements for patients already taking buprenorphine is very important.

Buprenorphine is commonly prescribed as a long-term opiate analgesic for patients suffering from chronic pain situations not involving their knee-replacement issue. Using myself as an example, I have been taking buprenorphine on a daily basis since 2008 due to permanent nerve-root damage resulting from a failed spinal-fusion surgery. Buprenorphine is also prescribed for non-pain-related issues which are beyond the scope of this discussion.

I have been advised by my pain-management physician that I will be required to temporarily suspend the use of buprenorphine a few days prior to my TKR. I will be switched to a different opiate analgesic, like morphine or oxycodone, to manage the acute pain from the knee surgery, as well as the chronic pain from the nerve damage in my spine. According to my pain physician, buprenorphine is a unique opiate analgesic that does not mix well with the more traditional opiate medications. In the USA, buprenorphine is rarely, if ever, taken in combination with other opiates. At some point in the future, I will switch back to using buprenorphine, only.

As far as my personal situation is concerned, I don't have any additional details regarding the switch of opiate medications. My surgery is scheduled for January 24, 2019. As I receive additional details, I will contribute to this thread. In the mean time, if anyone has actually been through this unique procedure, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks!

4. pdx

pdx graduate

@Josephine I'm guessing the issue isn't anaesthesia but rather that higher doses of opioids are needed for someone taking Suboxone. The surgery practice may not have experience in managing this issue, though it certainly doesn't appear insurmountable.
    Having said that, Sunny17, maybe ask whoever prescribes your medication to work with your surgeon on a plan, whatever it turns out to be!

5. Jeffntate

Jeffntate junior member

Yes get a plan in place is what I've been told. I'm in the same boat but not with your pain meds, but another pain med that is fairly high dose, so I am concerned too.