Recent content by pamkat

  1. pamkat

    TKR Second Thoughts

    I am in exactly the same spot. I was having terrible pain, got a cortisone injection, and it did nothing to relieve the pain. So I scheduled my surgery. Two weeks later, no pain, nothing. I talked to the doctor about it, and he showed me all the arthritis in my knee, which is not going to go...
  2. pamkat

    2023 October Feisties’ - Are you having knee surgery in October?

    Second time around. TKR on the right knee this time on 10/23/23.
  3. pamkat

    TKR October 23 Here we go again!

    I'll be undergoing my second TKR (right knee this time) on 10/23/23 at UVA. The first one was done in Raleigh. It was a success, but a pretty brutal recovery. I'm quite nervous this time knowing what's coming, but it will be worth it! My mom came for 3 weeks last time (I live alone). This time I...
  4. pamkat

    Has anyone tried the TENS machine for recovery pain?

    I used a TENS machine because I was having bad knee spasms which caused my knee to jerk in the early days of recovery (nerves regenerating and firing probably), which do not feel good on a newly operated-on knee. It helped.
  5. pamkat

    TKR Low back pain after TKR

    I also had back pain a few months after surgery. I think my body was so used to walking "funny" to keep painful knees at bay, that when I began walking correctly, my back revolted. I actually had to be carried out of a store one day because I couldn't move. But a few trips to a chiropractor got...
  6. pamkat

    TKR Pam's recovery journey

    I'm 9 months out and so happy I had the surgery. Still not 100% but so much better than before surgery. I had a fantastic doctor and a great PT. I have to tell you I was terrified of having the surgery, but it wasn't nearly as bad as my mind had it worked up to be. The first week was the worst...
  7. pamkat

    Hello New Here and Scared....

    I was terrified too, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The pain meds, taken as directed, really keep bad pain at bay.Is it a picnic? No. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I'll be getting the other one done within a year, and I'll be a little nervous, but definitely not terrified. You can do it!
  8. pamkat

    Cryo cuff or....?

    I bought an ice machine, but it was a pain to keep refilling it. I did great with gel ice packs...they stay cold a long time. I really thought I'd love the ice machine, but ended up preferring the ice packs. MY LTKR was 6 months ago. Feeling great. It still hurts some, but they say it takes a...
  9. pamkat

    TKR Pam's recovery journey

    Thank you everyone for the advice. Yes, short term disability is telling me I have to go back at 5 1/2 weeks. Not released by my dr so as of yesterday I’m not getting paid. SusieShoes, I had a left TKR on 2/26/18. My job will provide a stool to elevate my leg on and I can definitely ice during...
  10. pamkat

    TKR Pam's recovery journey

    Is anyone else having problems with insomnia? I am 5 weeks out and feeling good, but I absolutely cannot fall asleep at night. I walk the floors all night long. Pain is not the cause, I don't believe. I do have to go back to work next week, and I am extremely anxious because I'm not getting any...
  11. pamkat

    Welcome to the February Valentines' 2018 Knee Recovery Club

    Hello everyone! My surgery was 2/26/18. LTKR. Still having quite a bit of pain, especially at night and during/after PT. Tried to stretch my meds to 6 hours instead of 4. Doable, but certainly not as comfortable. I tried using Tylenol instead a couple times and it didn't touch it. I'd love to be...
  12. pamkat

    2018 February Valentines - Are you having knee surgery in February?

    Monday! February 26. Left knee. Hope all goes well for all February folks!
Back
Top Bottom