Hello New Here and Scared....

schpooko

Country
United States United States
Hi, everyone. I am new to these forums and after reading SusieShoes recovery thread I was inspired to join. I hope I find the support I so need to get over the anxiousness of having TKR of the right knee on October 1st. My story is that I knew for quite awhile that I needed TKR on the left knee due to bone on bone situation so as my son says I man'd up and found an OS in May 2018 and set a date for June and began my worrying back then. When a few weeks into my waiting period I tripped over the dehumidifier cord down on the basement cement floor going down on the right knee and left wrist... Well, I had a hematoma on my right knee the size of Delaware and had to put off the left knee because recovery would have been impossible. Fast forward to now... when healing was going so slow I went to the OS again told (and showed him) what had happened and how it had been two months and I was in agony. He ordered an MRI and Behold, two torn meniscus of the Right Knee along with severe arthritis. He said that the Xray I took was very deceiving because it did not look as bad as the MRI. So on to the Right knee for TKR. Sorry I give everyone credit here who has and will have Bi-lateral TKR. I am just to afraid as it is... So here I am... Lots of questions and scared. Well, thanks for listening and I hope to get know you... Good Luck to all...

Hi, welcome to BoneSmart.
I give everyone credit here who has and will have Bi-lateral TKR. I am just to afraid as it is.
I was the biggest scaredycat under the sun; I had BTKR so that I only had to be brave once, and it's not twice as bad, only one surgery! That's why I did it, I was afraid I'd be too chicken to do the 2nd. So if your doc will do BTKR and you need both, then I recommend going for it.

Good luck in any case whatever you decide -- 1st rule of Bonesmart, whatever works for YOU!

Thanks for the luck I look forwarding to be here

I’m 12 weeks into bi and not yet glad I did it but I know eventually I will be. I live alone and only had help for 3 days so it’s been very difficult. I also passed out in the hospital and had continued BP drops for 3 weeks so
Had limited activity. I personally would not do it again without help. Very hard to stand long enough to fix food and just do the basics. I did have a tray on my walker and that proved very helpful. Good luck! I was terrified.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time... I have asked to go to rehab after the surgery for a few days. I need to master stairs, etc... before I can even get in the house. My husband and son will help when they can but they need to work (no work no pay) and that is not an option. But I am only doing the right knee so let's see how it goes. Thanks for writing back and let me know how your progress goes. I will keep an eye out for your posts on recovery... Good luck

Hi, InkedMarie... Yes, you will be a great help. Thanks for writing back... How much pain are you in? How is your mobility? Do you have anyone to help you etc...? Just scared of the unknown, I guess.

You will be able to navigate stairs before you leave the hospital. They will show you how to do it.

Best wishes!

Hi @schpooko ! My husband is my helper. He took this week off and will work off & on next week.

My mobility is great. I had one hip replacement four years ago, another 8 weeks ago. With those and my knee replacement, getting up & moving was my choice. I don’t like laying around in bed so for the recent hip & knee, I pretty much told the staff I wanted to get up and sit in my recliner the day of surgery (my first hip was a later in day surgery & I was light headed). I think they were surprised. I wanted food, real food not clear liquids and wanted to be in a chair. Early the next mornings, not only did I ask to get up to the chair, I wanted to use the bathroom, take a walk and wear real clothes!

Pain. I hate to even talk about it but I’ve had very little. I was on Dilaudid both in hospital & home. I’m day 5today, using Tylenol & Advil; Dilaudid if I need it.

I have a Cryo Cuff ice machine and I believe that is a huge help with pain control. Right now, I’m in my recliner with ice machine on and my legs elevated on my Lounge Doctor wedge.

Thanks I have four to go up to get to the house and a flight of stairs to downstairs so its ambitious at best. I am asking for rehab after surgery for a few days of occupational therapy too.

Once you are in the house can you set yourself up to stay on one level of the house most of the time and only change levels once or twice a day, at least for the first few days or so?

I did fine coming straight home from the hospital. Personally I would not want to go to a rehab facility, you have more control of things at home, to do things the way you want to.

I am a firm believer of Bonesmart’s gentle approach to recovery and many hospitals or rehab places place a lot of importance on a more aggressive approach.

You will be surprised what you can do insofar as the steps when you get home. I have 7 steps up into the house and 14 steps upstairs. After both tkr's, I went upstairs right when I came home and didn't come down for 2 days (boredom set in).

Read as much as you can here. A few pieces of equipment make recovery easier but planning ahead, insofar as food preparation, etc. goes, will make life much easier too. If you can, stock some household basics so you don't have to go grocery shopping for those, freeze some meals, have easy to fix things on hand. (Surgery affects people differently; after my first tkr, my appetite wasn't a problem but I haven't really wanted much to eat after this second one). For the first week or so after surgery, you won't want to do much other than bathroom visits and walking to the kitchen to get something easy to eat. I could have done that on my own and many people here are alone and have managed it. The two most important things to remember is to take your meds on time and make sure you have some type of icing products - gel packs or whatever. Ice is your biggest friend after a tkr.

If you need both knees done, do consider bilateral replacements. They really aren't that bad! Look at me... I'm a cream puff. I figured as long as I was biting the bullet, I might as well take a big bite and get it over with. As Roy says (do read his recovery thread, which is the one that inspired me to do bilateral) one surgery, one recovery.

Single knee or bilateral, you will be surprised by how functional your new knee is! You will be able to do stairs -- I too have steps up to my two story house -- and will be able to manage the basics from the very start. I was afraid I'd be useless at first, and a burden, but I was neither.

BoneSmart is a great place to air out your fears and receive solid, helpful information as you prepare for your TKR. You will find all kinds of people to support you, from those who are exactly where you are to others who have been enjoying their new knees for a decade or more. We really do know what you're facing. :friends:

Thank you Susie, I asked you a question on my other thread I hope you don't mind me asking and I will read that recovery thread as well.

Hi Schpooko,
You are in the right place!! Lots of info here and hearing everyone else’s experiences really can help. We all seem to have variations but overall some core things are the same. I had my right knee replaced almost 2 years ago. My doctor only had me in the surgery center for about 24 hours before I went home and physical therapy began 4 days after surgery. They made sure I could walk a certain distance at the surgery center before going home. I didn’t tackle stairs until a few weeks into PT. I needed a walker- with tennis balls- around the house but after sleeping the first couple of days -was ready to start recovering. I’m not going to lie- it is painful but I read tons of posts on Bone Smart beforehand and I did what was recommended by other TKR folks. Took my pain pills on a schedule not waiting too long for pain to escalate. That really helped. Didn’t push myself too hard. Did all my PT exercises at home. Iced and elevated and rested. Now I’m having knee two done in one week and I’m hoping it will be as smooth. It’s a tough week or so for a future of no pain and limitations in terms of walking etc. Oh- my husband was able to take 2 weeks off both times and that is really helpful. Not necessary but nice. Having some support is important if you can get it. My new knee isn’t perfect...however it is pain free, strong and lets me do almost anything!! Best of luck- the unknown is scary but lots of folks here can help you through.

I was scared to death before my 1st tkr in May. Almost cancelled it the day before. I made the mistake of watching the surgery on you tube so I had really physched myself out of doing it. But I had to come to grips with the intense pain I was in and starting to not do things I enjoyed anymore. So I did it. Not going to sugar coat it, it was tough but I soon realized it was the right decision. Now I'm very thankful I did the left and am now going to have the right knee done Oct 18th. Wish it could have been at the same time but it wasn't so it is what it is . Am I nervous again? Yes but not terrified like I was. You will get through it and you will find no better place for information and support than this site.

@schpooko it's painful but please remember this pain will go away! I was the same way..so worried about the pain. There is nothing wrong with feeling the way you do! Just have plenty of ice packs ready and however you are elevating ready for when you get home. They are a life saver!

You guys are all so great! I love the posts.....so helpful! I also thought I wanted to go to rehab....mostly because my hubby has severe PTSD and he isn’t really there for me. My surgeon told me that he almost never sends people to a rehab place because of the infection factor. He believes that a patient is far better off to go home to their own germs Regarding stairs, he said that the hospital won’t release me til I can navigate stairs. I understand the “terrified” part! Mine isn’t til January and I am feeling that way now! I, too, watched the YouTube videos. I used to be a surgical vet tech and thought it wouldn’t bother me....wrong! I do want my hubby to see it, though, closer to January.

I was terrified too, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The pain meds, taken as directed, really keep bad pain at bay.Is it a picnic? No. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I'll be getting the other one done within a year, and I'll be a little nervous, but definitely not terrified. You can do it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom