Recent content by niknak79

  1. N

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Hello @DanW, just been reading your story- I had Perthes disease also (aged 8), multiple surgeries as a child, culminating in a THR age 19. Yep, 19! I am now 45. That hip has lasted nearly 26 years, way beyond our expectations (it was custom made as my bones were awkward shaped due to...
  2. N

    THR Third Hip Surgery/1st THR

    Hi @CoffeandCrafts, I think you're still at the very early stages of recovery and healing- great advice above. I had 5 surgeries including two femoral osteotomies on my right hip before my THR. But by four months post THR I was so, so much better than from previous surgeries, and very quickly I...
  3. N

    Need revision, advised to wait for as long as I can.

    Thank you @mendogal & @Mr.fun for your replies (& sorry I've been slow to respond, mad work week!) My original hip consultant (who did my THR in 1998) retired last year & the new consultant has only met me the once (in June), but he watched me get out of my chair & immediately said until that...
  4. N

    Need revision, advised to wait for as long as I can.

    Hi everyone, I have right THR that's now nearly a grand 26 years old! Had it done when I was aged 19, due to perthes disease & secondary osteoarthritis. I had a posterior full custom-made replacement, ceramic-plastic. The plastic cup is now showing significant wear with osteolysis evident...
  5. N

    Not sure...

    Hi @confused newb - I find it strange that the ortho you met with said if you were 10 yrs older, he'd replace your hip... As Jaycey said that seems very old school thinking! Especially given the limitations the pain is already imposing on your life. I would definitely hope that the second...
  6. N

    THR Hip replacement @24 y/o

    Hi @Hipster24 , I had my hip replaced aged 19, just after I stopped growing, and it has honestly been the best thing ever. I'm 17 years down the line now and it is still only showing minor wear. I have some back issues and soft tissue issues, but I had hip problems from age 8 and grew up...
  7. N

    THR in Young Male with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)

    Hi @paxdot, like others here I am one of those young "hippies" and I just wanted to emphasise (a) don't give up, and (b) get your hip replaced as quickly as possible! It will change your life. I had Perthes disease as a child, followed by secondary osteoarthritis, and had the right hip THR when...
  8. N

    THR THR in 20's

    Hi @charley86, just read most of your thread and so sorry that after so long you are still not feeling great. I'm sure someone with lots of experience will be on here soon (tagging @Josephine ) but they will probably need more detail about your current symptoms e.g. pain type (e.g. stiffness)...
  9. N

    THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

    @Maya'sdad I am just tagging @Josephine so that she sees your update from the CT scan results, as she will have the necessary expertise to help you. Interesting there is no mention of AVN in the Dr's notes? I am assuming (as a non specialist) that this could be good news if they think revision...
  10. N

    THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

    Hi again @Maya'sdad - just looking at those x-rays has made me so cross and so sad for wee Maya (and her family). Brings back some memories too (seeing the giant screws on an x-ray was quite alarming aged 8!). Interestingly what Josephine suggested about the Girdlestone's operation is I...
  11. N

    THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

    Hi @Maya'sdad , just a quick "chime in", firstly to express my condolences that you and Maya are having to go through all this, & secondly just to let you know my own experiences. I had Perthes disease as a child (diagnosed aged 8) which is similar to AVN (though not the same). I had two...
  12. N

    Need revision, advised to wait for as long as I can.

    Hi again @Josephine, thank you once again for your response, sounds like I need to chase up getting another cortisone shot! I am a marine biologist, work in fisheries science so spend around 6 weeks a year on a ship (usually up to 10 days at a time) & the odd day here and there on smaller boats...
  13. N

    Need revision, advised to wait for as long as I can.

    Hi @Josephine Just a few answers to your questions- thank you for taking the time to get back to me: 1. At which point is this pain - I've numbered them in the chart above (1) is about a 4 today, (2) is around a 5-7 when lying on that side, but currently when sitting is barely noticeable...
  14. N

    Need revision, advised to wait for as long as I can.

    PS. @Josephine Should also add I now have noticeable atrophy of the right thigh (quads & gluts) so know I need to work on these somehow (on the converse my left thigh is getting bigger as it's doing all the work!)....
  15. N

    Need revision, advised to wait for as long as I can.

    Hi @Josephine , Thank you for your reply, my pain is at: DR3F CR1F FR5B AR4B GR5B Answering your questions: 1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery...
Back
Top Bottom