Recent content by NickB

  1. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    I have been a bit remiss about updating my ankle progress. Essentially the TAR has been remarkably successful and I would strongly recommend the procedure for anyone still anxious to decide. My ongoing ankle problems are not TAR related; but rather still stem from scar tissue problems relating...
  2. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Hi, and thanks for the thoughts. This right hip has been a whole different journey to its opposite number two years ago. The main difference has been the nerve damage/meralgia parasthetica, which has slowed me down enormously. I have been taking pregabalin for the past 10 days without any...
  3. N

    THR Meralgia Paresthetica

    Exact THR date was June 5th at Sydney Australia. Not sure weight is a factor in my case; but I'll keep an eye on it.
  4. N

    THR Meralgia Paresthetica

    Hi, I had a right THR a couple of weeks ago and seem to have developed Meralgia Paresthetica in the process. This is a fierce burning sensation on the outer side above my knee, quite debilitating. Generally caused by nerve damage to the main femoral nerve, apparently quite close to the surface...
  5. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Hallo All, This is a good news update :) The arthroscopy seems (2nd time round!) to have done the trick! I can now report that I am virtually pain-free almost all the time. It's now 6 weeks since "he went back in" (and 16 months since the TAR). There was (and still is) a lot of scar tissue; but...
  6. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Hallo Fellow Anklers, I realised it's been a while since I did an update on progress. By and large everything went well during the balance of 2020 (apart from the obvious) however in September I developed a sharp stabbing pain in the front outside of my ankle. This was immediately reminiscent of...
  7. N

    Ankle TAR doing it alone

    Hi Cassie, Well done with your progress. I'm not sure why your hip should be hurting, only that wearing the boot will (even with levelers) will throw your gait out somewhat, which may well put extra pressure on your knee.....probably time will sort that one. With nerve pain I have been pretty...
  8. N

    Ankle Need TAR - scared!

    Hi Doris, everything Larryr says is true. I had my TAR 10 months ago and whilst it is a long and at times glacially slow recovery process, it is well worth it! Don't get overly concerned there are more people than you imagine who have been through this procedure and this forum is an excellent...
  9. N

    Ankle TAR doing it alone

    Hi Cassie, Sorry to be slow responding, and maybe you are already "in the process" or done! Anyway, Larry has pretty well covered all the points, I was lucky having an extremely caring and competent partner. Also i didn't have a plaster cast, just straight to boot, this made showering easier...
  10. N

    Ankle Looking for someone who's had a TAR

    Hallo Chanie, My TAR was the final outcome of an injury (car/bike ankle crush) from 27 years ago. I had an arthroscopy in March last year which actually made things worse and narrowed the choices down dramatically to a TAR. I was pretty apprehensive I have to say.......these may be rare in...
  11. N

    Ankle Mountain biking after ankle replacement

    Hi Mike, I am almost 5 months post TAR and progress is slow but positive. Cycling is the easiest mode to get around, walking is more problematic; but slow persistence works. my swelling is down pretty well, the scarring is still restricting full flexing; but I'm working on that to. I still have...
  12. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Hallo again fellow Anklers, I am now just over 3 months from TAR (left) and reporting in with an update on progress. I saw my specialist at 3 months, he was happy, me less so. Progress he felt was being made, I agreed; but we differed on the rate of glacial improvement!! The swelling remains...
  13. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Hallo fellow Anklers and others, just an update on how things are progressing. I had my 7 week appt with my specialist a week ago and got the go ahead for weight bearing (hooray) Boot-on when I'm out and about for a week or two; but shoes-on at home. Boot-on is still a nuisance even with my...
  14. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Thanks Jamie, and you're right, next Tuesday is the countdown day to re-visit surgeon and hopefully get the green light to start some form of partial weight bearing, and I do recognise the benefit of not rushing things. However I have to say I am a little aprehensive as what to expect when...
  15. N

    Ankle NickB in recovery

    Thanks Jamie, I'm learning lots about patience all over again :-)) My X-ray and Specialist catch ups went well, I tried to negotiate a couple of condition variations (boot off at night, and maybe start of partial weight bearing) but that went nowhere! He wants to stay "old school" and let the 6...
Back
Top Bottom