Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Ankle Looking for someone who's had a TAR

Chanie

Country
United States United States
Hi! This is chanie- I havent been following the bone smart forum for a while but now I would really love to hear from someone like me for some information about a Total Ankle replacement. I am a 56 young grandma with Rhuematiod arthritis for over 30 years. Having already had 3 ankle arthrodesis operations over past 20 years Dr. Demetricopolous and Dr, Thomas O'malley of the Hospital for special surgery in NYC both feel strongly that my next step within few months is a TAR and I am searching for someone in a similar situation....thanks so much!!!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, @Chanie.....We have had several BoneSmarties here in the "Other Joints" forum who've gone through a Total Ankle Replacement. If you click on the prefix I added to your thread title, you'll get a list of all the ankle threads.

FCBayern

graduate
Country
Hi @Chanie I had a STAR total ankle replacement almost 9 years ago on December 12, 2011. My doctor was one of 5 experts across the US in the STAR replacement and they are still studying results. At the time I got my replacement they hoped for 10 years before a revision was necessary. While not everyone has had results as good as mine, approaching 9 years and it looks like I will exceed the 10 years based on my last couple of annual checks. I would be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

OP
OP
C

Chanie

Country
Thank you so much for answering!!Wow a real person who had an ankle replacement and LIVED!! First off what is STAR as opposed to TAR? I? know ankle replacements nowadays have morphed into new technology -like Infinity replacements. I was wondering what the recovery was like, yes or no weight bearing, did you need to go to rehab, how many months would you say I need to prepare myself for recovery

Pumpkln

Country
@Chanie,

STAR (Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement) is one of several choices surgeons have for a prosthesis.

You should anticipate you will be non weight bearing for the first 6-8 weeks, partial weight bearing 8-16 weeks while in a cast boot, 16 to 24 weeks full weight bearing and working to a normal gait, which can take up to a year.
Finding an PT experienced with TAR will be able to guide you to a successful recovery.

FCBayern

graduate
Country
@Chanie,

STAR (Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement) is one of several choices surgeons have for a prosthesis.

You should anticipate you will be non weight bearing for the first 6-8 weeks, partial weight bearing 8-16 weeks while in a cast boot, 16 to 24 weeks full weight bearing and working to a normal gait, which can take up to a year.
Finding an PT experienced with TAR will be able to guide you to a successful recovery.
@pumpkin nailed it completely @Chanie I was in a cast for the first 6 weeks no weight bearing. Then into a boot for several more weeks slowly adding weight. I would not push into PT too quickly. They will give you things like write the alphabet with your foot etc. gentle range of motion only and then just to the point of discomfort. If you get someone for PT that says "no pain, no gain" run the other way as fast as possible. I didn't run into an ice machine, (one that has a reservoir of water you add ice to and the water circulates and cools the area) but I imagine they make a wrap for the ankle. Unfortunately when you need it most in the first 6 weeks it's hard to get much cooling past the cast. The ankle is not the easiest rehab but it was better than a shoulder or a knee! I'm very happy I had it done, it gave me my mobility back at least until the knee and hip gave out, but alls well and I'm back to an active life.

Larryr

Country
Hi,
I went through a TAR going on nine months ago and you can read about my journey in this forum. If you decide to go through with it please understand that this will be a one year journey, however progress is steady and reassuring that you have done the right thing.
you will read that I chose the Infinity device and am quite happy with my choice; very flexible and pain free, but it takes steady PT at a facility and more important at home.
Good luck

NickB

Country
Australia Australia
Hallo Chanie,
My TAR was the final outcome of an injury (car/bike ankle crush) from 27 years ago.
I had an arthroscopy in March last year which actually made things worse and narrowed the choices down dramatically to a TAR.
I was pretty apprehensive I have to say.......these may be rare in America; but they are unheard of in Australia :)
However after 6 monthsI have to say I now finally feel I'm getting somewhere and it all seems worthwhile. But I can only echo LarryJ when he says, this is a very long and often very frustrating recovery process; however ultimately worthwhile. Good luck!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Martini
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom