Recent content by NewHip2017

  1. N

    THR Dull ache in hip ~5 months after surgery

    Talked with the physicians assistant today. Your bet paid off @Jaycey; she thought it was just some soreness from doing too much. Hopefully everything calms down with a couple days rest, otherwise they'll have me come in for a checkup/X-rays/etc.
  2. N

    THR Dull ache in hip ~5 months after surgery

    That's so good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  3. N

    THR Dull ache in hip ~5 months after surgery

    Hi! I had an anterior approach LTHR on December 15th for localized osteoarthritis. It's been a pretty smooth recovery so far. There was some muscle cramping with my piriformis and IT band tightness, but overall nothing too serious and the past 2 month have basically been me living my...
  4. N

    THR and 32 years old

    My at home PT told me about this just yesterday. You can get swelling and soreness for quite a while. Particularly, he told me, when you start getting some endurance and go that extra distance. I'm betting that a few more days of rest, ice, and elevation will help. Fever, redness...
  5. N

    THR 1st day after surgery

    Day 12 Steady improvement! The PT visited last Friday and removed the surgical dressing. But there's a bunch of steristrips covering (and protecting) my cool new scar. The Hippie Scar pic will have to wait. He was impressed with the progress and let me walk with a cane in the house. We went for...
  6. N

    Biodarius in recovery

    Maybe 6 days after my surgery, the swelling went down so much that my wife noticed my operated leg was less muscular than my right. I think part of it might be from not being able to walk properly for quite some time. My PT pointed it out too. Now when I feel pain, it's muscle soreness. I slow...
  7. N

    THR and 32 years old

    I was able to sleep on my side around day 5 or 6 post surgery, but I had the anterior approach and my OS said I didn't have to avoid any sleeping position. I was skeptical, but after putting a pillow between my knees, it felt amazing. I haven't been able to do this comfortable since mid-October.
  8. N

    THR Shiny new hip installed

    I second what @Jaycey said about ice. I was icing my LTHR on a 40 min on/20 min off schedule for the entire week. It also helps with swelling. I recommend getting a couple of gel ice pack from a pharmacy so some can chill while the others are in use.
  9. N

    THR 1st day after surgery

    One week post surgery! I feel like I'm getting better everyday even though I'm basically doing the same thing everyday. I'd say 90-95% of my day is sitting in a chair or lying in bed. Either way, I'm keeping my leg up and icing frequently. My PT looked at the surgical site the other day...
  10. N

    THR 1st day after surgery

    First few days home: I stayed overnight at the surgical center and day 1 after the surgery I was up and walking with crutches. It was much easier than I thought. I was still stiff and there was swelling, but surprised by the lack of hip pain! I did about 200 ft walking and then practiced going...
  11. N

    THR 1st day after surgery

    @Josephine: And I'm extra careful not to walk to excess! @medlence: I've definitely been following your thread since we're close in age. You're having a great recovery! Very helpful for me to read. So far each day is a little better then the next. A little more movement, a little less swelling...
  12. N

    THR 1st day after surgery

    I'll try later to post a more in depth post on my surgery and outcomes, but I wanted to put a quick post about my experience for those of us who are about to have surgery or are thinking about it. (At the very least, they can see the BS mantra on healing!) I had a ceramic-on-ceramic THR in my...
  13. N

    Under 40 THR and ready for my life back

    Thanks everyone for the support! It does a lot of good to hear how quickly everyone has been bouncing back. I'm pretty committed to this surgery now and am noticing how quickly I'm adjusting to my new temporary disabilities. Earlier this week my wife suggested I get a cane. "No way. I can do...
  14. N

    Under 40 THR and ready for my life back

    Hi, I just joined and I thought I'd add my story for other people who feel really upset and depressed about needing a total hip replacement (THR). One of the most helpful things I read were stories from other people in there 20's and 30's who--for whatever reason--need a hip replacement...
  15. N

    2016 December SuperNovas - Are you having hip surgery in December?

    Just joined. I'm getting my left hip replaced on 12/15. I went from dealing with mild to moderate arthritis to a severe limp and difficulty with daily activity in the course of a few weeks. My rheumatologist and orthopedic surgeon (OS) were both really shocked by how quickly things deteriorated...
Back
Top Bottom