Recent content by Mrs. Ciz

  1. M

    TKR Left Leg TKR shin bone pain

    Two things: 1) At 7 months post op, I had a sore spot on my right shin just below the knee implant that turned out to be an infection if the tibia bone. The bone turning to mush caused the implant to loosen. All it took was an X-ray to diagnose what was happening. 2) At 14 months post op, I got...
  2. M

    TKR Gone & Done It!

    My surgeon mentioned muscle memory during my pre op appointments. What he meant was TKR wouldn’t improve my ROM by leaps and bounds. I would probably recover and have similar ROM to what I had pre surgery due to muscle memory. I may get a bit better ROM than what I had when I was plagued with...
  3. M

    Knee Infection* Infection?

    Excellent explanation!!! This is exactly how my surgeon described what happened to me. The bacteria on the implant eventually moved into the hole drilled in my tibia for the implant stem. It turned the bone to mush and the implant loosened. The whole thing had to come out. That was the only way...
  4. M

    TKR Indentation above the knees on both sides after TKR's

    @Cindy13 I’m interested to hear the responses you get. I have the same big dimple at the top of my right knee incision. My left knee incision healed up perfectly. The right one originally healed up perfectly too. But then it had to be cut open 2 more times for explant and revision when the...
  5. M

    Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

    @maryo52 They thought my bacteria was a gram positive staph but now believe it was a gram positive P. Acne. Apparently nothing ever grew in the multiple cultures they did. I was on all sorts of antibiotics during the clean out hospital stay. I went home with medicine balls of Vancomycin - two 2...
  6. M

    Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

    I hear you about the hot bath. Heck even a shower would have felt incredible. Instead I was relegated to very careful sponge baths with my picc line arm and knee incision wrapped in Glad Press and Seal for 10 weeks!!! No real bath or shower for 10 weeks! I was so grateful when the picc line...
  7. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    Yep, I also took a probiotic the whole 8 weeks I was on the super strong antibiotics. I took Fem Dophilus. I ordered it the day I found out about the infection. It kept all my systems from getting out of wack during that 8 weeks. Thank goodness! I had enough to deal with!
  8. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    My follow up appointment on July 20th went well. I was able to get my staples out. Since then, all the dead skin and scabs have sloughed off and the incision looks a little better. I do have lots of thick purple scars on the incision line. I’m hoping I can massage the purple marks out, and...
  9. M

    Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

    @maryo52 I hope you are able to kick your infection. I had BTKR in July 2020. The left knee healed well. The right knee was always behind, and in February 2021 it went south. I had an infection in the implant and tibia bone. I had the implant and diseased bone removed and replaced with a...
  10. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    Three weeks post op today! I started driving on Thursday last week (about 2.5 weeks post op) because I’m off all the drugs. I’m also walking without a crutch since last week as well. Flexion is 110; extension is still -13 :( I do get sore when I over do it, but the pain I’ve had this time...
  11. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    Yes, my therapist came to my house for the 8 weeks after my Feb. 25th surgery. I was homebound for the whole 8 weeks due to the infection and my picc line. My doctors didn’t want me exposed to any extra germs while I was fighting an active infection.
  12. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    I had my first PT appointment and surgeon’s follow up appointment on Monday. PT went well. My therapist is really happy with how far I am in just one week post op. I can walk well with just one crutch. My flexion is 94 and my extension is -14. She also measured my left knee, which is one year...
  13. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    Thank you everyone! I’m doing well this morning. They did an epidural this time versus general anesthesia like the last 2 times. They also did a nerve block in 2 places just like they did for my the last 2 surgeries. But something is very different because my quad muscle did NOT go to sleep...
  14. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    Today is the day!!! I check into the hospital at 1:00 pm EST. Wish me luck! The 3rd time HAS to be a charm!
  15. M

    Knee Infection* Infection at 7 Months Post Op - Back to Crutches

    I have some terrific news and some so so news. First the terrific news - I found out on Friday that my bloodwork is perfect and my culture is clean! Wooohooo!!!! All signs of the infection are gone. Praise God! I get to schedule my final surgery! The so so news - On Monday I found out my...
Back
Top Bottom