Recent content by Monah

  1. Monah

    TKR Monah - One down!

    It's almost 2 months now and things are going well. I've been driving for a couple of weeks, no problems there. I'm still playing around with various shoes and lifts to find something that works. My gym shoes with the 1/2 inch layer on the left shoe work best, but I can't wear tie shoes too long...
  2. Monah

    TKR Monah - One down!

    I am trying to walk correctly, but your comment about old shoes sure hits home! I have been wearing only one pair of loafers, old ones. So I will try something else. Another part of the problem is that since my THR in '12 I have a leg length discrepancy so I have a small lift on the non-surgical...
  3. Monah

    TKR Monah - One down!

    It's been a month now. I just started outpatient PT after 3 weeks of home therapy. One thing that concerns me is that in addition to my knee hurting at times I also have aching in my hip and ankle on that same leg. I had a THR 2 years ago, so maybe that' s why it bothers? But the ankle -no idea...
  4. Monah

    TKR Monah - One down!

    More... This is some kind of DNA that is injected with the spinal. It doesn't affect the immediate/surgery pain, but is believed to act with a pain transmitter in the body for longer term pain, keeps the pain notice from going to the brain as I understand it. So here I am, 12 days after...
  5. Monah

    TKR Monah - One down!

    Well it's been a while since I "visited" here, but all is well. Like Betsy I was getting too much Norco - keep ahead of the pain, you know. But I have slowed way down the last few days, maybe two in 24 hours. Also I was able to borrow an ice machine from a friend, but decided after a couple of...
  6. Monah

    TKR Monah - One down!

    Surgery was Monday, came home Wednesday - Hooray! I'm surprised about the pain, not as bad as I expected so far. It's not easy, but not horrible either. I'm in a clinical trial for long term pain control, so I don't think it's kicked in yet, it's not for the immediate surgery pain. And I won't...
  7. Monah

    Monah RTKR July 14

    Tomorrow!!! New twist - I will be in a clinical trial of a new pain management tool, supposed to help with pain for about 30 days. It could mean less of the heavy duty pain meds and quicker rehab so will be wonderful if it works. I can post in the post op area how it goes. Let's hope I get the...
  8. Monah

    Left TKR for me in the near future

    Ladyluck - I just sent you a PM, hope it worked!!!
  9. Monah

    Left TKR for me in the near future

    Ladyluck What a coincidence! My friend who had Dr. K is going to Prescott later today, will be there a couple of days. She said she'd be happy to talk to you if you'd like. So if you want to send me your number I'll forward it to her - maybe a PM? Although I've not done one, maybe you can...
  10. Monah

    Left TKR for me in the near future

    @Ladyluck - I don't know what to say about the dental issue v. the TKR. I had to get a clearance from my dentist for my upcoming TKR, but I have not been having dental problems. Don't you have to get a release from the dentist saying the ortho work is OK? Seems like it would be up to the...
  11. Monah

    Left TKR for me in the near future

    @Ladyluck My good friend had TKR with Dr. Kozinn almost two years ago. She agreed that he can be kind of abrupt and hard to talk to, but she is very happy with her new knee. She said he did not have her do the CPM and no ice machine, but she did use those cold gel pads on her own. She also said...
  12. Monah

    Monah RTKR July 14

    I fell much better after reading the above answers and links - thanks so much to all of you! And this morning my PT was very encouraging about it all too. I'm seeing the dentist tomorrow, getting the blood tests Friday, have the EKG and chest x-ray done - it's going to happen!!!
  13. Monah

    Monah RTKR July 14

    I met with the PA and she said they will cut the ACL and another ligament, and that the new knee will have something that does the same thing. That concerns me a bit. Is that typical? Should I be worried? Should I be asking more questions? Also, I don't have much pain, mostly just on getting...
  14. Monah

    2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

    @Betsy - I won't have a CPM machine. My doctor doesn't want like them, and a couple of my friends here who had other doctors didn't use them either. I suppose I will have to buy and ice machine, but since I have the left knee to do later, guess it'll be OK.
  15. Monah

    2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

    Fantastic, Betsy - that would be great! Thanks much! Are you going to be using an ice machine? Monah
Back
Top Bottom