Recent content by Maximoo

  1. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    @EalingGran i tried one of Katyas Pilates yesterday which was good, once I got on the floor. I couldn’t do it all but it was a good start. She is VERY flexible, I don’t think I’ve ever been able to get my legs in those positions, even 40 years ago . This might seem a silly question but which...
  2. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    Thank you. I think I will leave the weights for a while and see if my knee settles down. Physio said the quad was 3cm smaller on the operated leg and needs building up. Also he wants me to build up to a 5kg weight ☹️ @Jockette i think my fear is being outside and there being nothing to hold onto...
  3. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    I was wondering about that as well. I have tried the 2kg on 2 sessions today and my leg feels quite stiff now. But how else can I build up the quad muscle?
  4. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    I had another physio session last Thursday and although I can walk/waddle around the house I’m still frightened to go outdoors alone. (Nearly 5 months PO) He said I need to strengthen the quad more & wants me to increase the exercises: Increase ankle weight from 1kg to 2 kg and leg lifts and...
  5. M

    TKR Carol68's Recovery

    Hi there I’m also in the UK and 5 months PO. My op was at Epsom and like you, the hospital experience could not be faulted- just the expectation was unrealistic. I’m still learning to walk after my quad being inactive for 3 months. I can ‘waddle’ indoors but have a real fear outside even with a...
  6. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    Well there seems to be a bit of a pattern to my posts - 2 steps forward and 3 steps back ☹️ At the weekend I managed a couple of walks with my husband (and my cane) and held his hand rather than gripping his arm so I decided I could take myself to the hydro pool myself yesterday. I had it all...
  7. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    My husband is taking me out over the weekend. We’re going to practice a lot in different places so I can ‘feel’ what it’s like using my cane outside. I know it’s just a confidence issue so got to get my ‘big girl knickers on’ and give it a go !!
  8. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    I think walking outside is just lack of confidence! In the house there are walls and surfaces if you need them. Outside there is nothing, so I need to get it sorted out in my head . I’ve made the difficult decision not to look after the grandkids yet. It’s financial pressure on the parents but...
  9. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    I’ve not been in touch for a while - still feeling very despondent about my TKR. Op 31 Oct so now 4 months post op. I have managed to walk (or waddle) as my husband describes it around the house unaided this last week. Mornings and evenings are harder but midday I seem to manage better. I have...
  10. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    @sistersinhim My op date was 31 Oct 22
  11. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    @EalingGran i was really active pre op, walking, swimming etc but my leg bent inwards and could be quite painful. I had lost a lot of strength and walked differently to compensate for a long time. I just feel if I could start to walk unaided I could set targets to improve each day ☹️ for my...
  12. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    I am now 13 weeks post op but not making any progress on walking unaided. I hate the crutches and feel less confident with them as well. Trying to walk around the kitchen but still having to take some weight on work surfaces. Any advice would be great, I just want to walk and get my life back...
  13. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    Last night I was at my wits end with lots of tears. 3 months post op, Would I ever walk again unaided? I have managed a few wobbly pigeon steps but my brain doesn’t seem to get my leg to move forward to take a proper step. Then this morning I had a PT session in the hydro pool. OMG what a game...
  14. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    @thneed Thank you, I felt so much better after reading your post. Yesterday I managed a few steps without holding on to kitchen surfaces. A bit like a child taking its first steps, but it’s a start. I’m building this into my physio sessions each day now, so hoping to increase the number of...
  15. M

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    Thank you for your replies. Childcare is something I need to think about. My number one goal is walking unaided. As I said in a previous post some of the problem is in my head, I’m so scared of falling. My ROM is good and stationary cycle each day, it’s the transition to walking that I can’t...
Back
Top Bottom