TKR 10 weeks post op

Maximoo

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am 10 weeks post op TKR. I now realise that my quad muscles had deteriorated prior to my op and have only just started to twitch back to life a week ago. I now have a new physio and trying hard to build my leg strength as I’m still on 2 crutches. I also think that some of my lack of walking unaided is in my head and I’m scared of falling. Any way just to add to this I’m feeling wobbly and light headed today and feeling despondent. Will I ever walk again without help. I’m meant to be looking after my grandchildren again in 8 weeks ??!??

Do you find yourself moving around your kitchen without crutches? That is how I gave up my walker. I started doing more and more without the walker. My cane was my security blanket. I found using a cane altered my gait. I practiced walking without it with proper gait sometimes with a grocery cart while shopping. At almost 6-months I still worry about a possible fall, and I am cautious of my surroundings. At 10 weeks my knee was stiff more often than not. I found the stationary bike and walking helped with my ROM and strengthening my quads. You have to give yourself some time to heal and in 8-weeks you will see a difference. How old are your grandchildren? Best wishes.

Hiya, I tried around the kitchen with one crutch but found that I was just grabbing/holding surfaces with my free hand, so no better off. My physio said 2 crutches and walking correctly is better than one and walking incorrectly! Good point ! I’m just so scared. The silly thing is that my ROM is good. I stationary cycle for 5 mins twice a day to keep my knee flexible. It’s the walking unaided that’s the problem. I’m very shaky today. My grandkids are 4 and 8 months x

@Maximoo
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
I’m feeling wobbly and light headed today and feeling despondent.
I’m very shaky today
This seems to be your biggest challenge walking is unsteadiness and lightheadedness. Your PT should be able to work on improving your balance, if the lightheadedness continues let your Dr know it could be a medication.

Your PT is right walking with two crutches with good form helps develop good gait habits.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OneStep information

Hi, how are you doing? I don't think I could do crutches! The walker is easier because you can put it in front of you. Do you have to do a lot of stairs? As soon as you feel stronger, I know you will be able to get around. In the early days it is hard not to be discouraged. Is your range of motion improving? Make sure you are eating and staying hydrated.

My grandkids are 4 and 8 months x
Are you going to be in sole charge? That would be really tough post op. I have a lively eighteen month old that my husband and I used to mind 1-2 days/ week pre my PKR. My husband had a hernia op recently as well and can't lift for another month. I can lift the baby but couldn't kneel to change him or risk carrying him up stairs. We now only mind him for short periods whilst his Mum is nearby - e.g. doing some work at home.
I think you need to think carefully what you can safely do and try to get back up. The other issue is the 8 month old will be getting more and more mobile in next couple of months- you need to be fully fit to catch him if he sets off!

Thank you for your replies. Childcare is something I need to think about. My number one goal is walking unaided. As I said in a previous post some of the problem is in my head, I’m so scared of falling. My ROM is good and stationary cycle each day, it’s the transition to walking that I can’t get. I just can’t let go of work surfaces or anything that I can grab on to

@Maximoo Please don't worry about trying to get off the crutches. Use them until you are feeling totally confident. This can take time. When you start leaving the crutches behind it's a sign that you are ready to transition. But until that time - use them.

I agree with the comments on childcare. You will not be in the position to activity engage with two very young children. Discuss this with their parents now so there is no disappointment later on.

I am about 4 months out on my left knee, about 8 on the right. If I remember correctly, when I was at 10 weeks I was still relying pretty heavily on the cane for my left knee (the most recent one). Like you said, I felt it was all in my head because my knee felt strong but I didn't feel I could trust it yet. My quad muscle, however, was still not quite as recovered as I needed it to be, and that was what was making me not trust it. I continued working on my quad exercises and just practicing without the cane when I could. And just like that, I finally felt comfortable. I can't say it happens magically overnight, but it does happen pretty quickly. I would say it was in about the 10-12 week time period where both of mine really felt secure enough to go anywhere without the cane, but everyone is different. Don't stress, you will get there eventually.

Hi @Maximoo! :wave:

Please let us know the date of your surgery and whether it was on your left or right knee. That way, we can create a signature that will appear in your posts. It's helpful for others to know those details so we can share relevant experiences and information that may be helpful.

Both building your confidence and your actual steadiness and gait take time. Others have given you good suggestions.
As for feeling shaky--are you eating well and getting enough fluids? How are you feeling today?

@thneed Thank you, I felt so much better after reading your post. Yesterday I managed a few steps without holding on to kitchen surfaces. A bit like a child taking its first steps, but it’s a start.
I’m building this into my physio sessions each day now, so hoping to increase the number of steps.
I don’t know if I’m the only one here but I totally under estimated this op. The hospital literature was quoting 4-6 weeks to walk un aided and after being such an active person, when this didn’t happen it had such a bad mental impact. Feeling a bit more positive today though

I don’t know if I’m the only one here but I totally under estimated this op.
Now you know why BoneSmart was created. Surgeons and hospital staff tend to under sell joint replacement surgery. We see so many members who are frustrated and disappointed in the early stages of recovery. This is why we continue to say plan on a process that takes one year or more. Your result might be different. But at least you won't be constantly wondering why you aren't further along. You'll get there - slow and steady works every time.

don’t know if I’m the only one here but I totally under estimated this op
Definitely not. I think a lot of the private hospital websites are very misleading- implying you will be running around a golf course at 6-8 weeks!
I am still using one crutch at 12 weeks outside. I mostly carry it but use it for uneven ground/ slopes/ getting on and off buses or tube trains. It is also very useful for claiming a priority seat on the tube. I really couldn't strap hang on a busy train!

Hi Maximoo,
You definitely are NOT the only one who underestimated this surgery. I wonder if the docs have any idea what this recovery is like unless they've had tkr. Not only the docs, but nurses and physical therapists.
Especially now that its being done outpatient.
Hang in there. You've been given great advice.

I also completely underestimated this surgery. I was unprepared and so naive. I had major shoulder surgery 3/22 and I kind of breezed right through it, and expected this to be easier. Boy was I wrong. I'm almost seven weeks in am doing well now, but the first three weeks were really tough. My OS surgeon just cleared me to play golf. There is no way I feel like I can play golf yet.

Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us!

I also think that some of my lack of walking unaided is in my head and I’m scared of falling.
I believe many feel this way. Anticipating how those first steps will feel and trusting your leg will bear your weight can cause anxiety initially. It’s good you’re feeling more positive now and it seems you’re doing well!

Please leave your exact surgery date below and which knee was replaced so we’re able to create a signature for you. Possibly you’ve noticed signatures on other members posts here on your thread. It is helpful information for those stopping by to read / comment to see how far along you are in the recovery process. Thanks in advance.
A great week to you! :)

@Maximoo I am four weeks out and will likely continue with the walker for some time. I, too, am terrified of falling because I have a really bad right knee that gives out at times and I don't trust it to support the left (surgical) knee. NO ONE told me how hard this was. I wish I had found this forum in advance. I think my surgeon tried to warn me ahead of time by telling me to stop comparing myself to others ("you do you" has been his mantra). It was acquaintances who put such a positive spin on it. Only my sister made it sound miserable and I chalked it up to her not tolerating pain very well. I've since apologized to her! I was so impacted by the pain that I developed kinesiophobia amd was barely moving at all, which I learned here was perfectly okay two weeks out of surgery! The mental stuff is real and valid and okay. As for babies, I don't know how I could do it. I can't even walk my dog yet and there's no risk of dropping him!!!

Last night I was at my wits end with lots of tears. 3 months post op, Would I ever walk again unaided? I have managed a few wobbly pigeon steps but my brain doesn’t seem to get my leg to move forward to take a proper step. Then this morning I had a PT session in the hydro pool. OMG what a game changer! I walked albeit wobbly, lunges on the steps, squats- what a difference it has made mentally. Still can’t manage it on dry land, but now believe it WILL happen eventually. Anyone struggling, please try a hydro session.

Don't be surprised if you have extra pain and swelling tonight and tomorrow and maybe even a few days more. Working out in water is like using weights because of the resistance of the water. You don't feel it at the time, but it is very easy to overwork and have a setback. I hope that is not the case with you, but if it is, don't be alarmed, it is normal and you will be OK after a few days.

In my fourth month out, I got in the pool at the Y, walked over to the lap swim, did one lap, then walked back out of the pool. I felt good but my knee was really, really tired. I went ahead and took a shower there and drove back home and iced and elevated. Well, that night my knee screamed at me and for the next couple of days, it continued to yell. It was another month before I tried the pool again. Starting out slowly I did fine. My knee was ready for it! Just be sure to listen to your knee. It will tell you what it is ready to do and not ready to do. You can not speed up your healing but can slow it down by doing too much too soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562