Recent content by matisse

  1. matisse

    Right vs. Left

    Hi hipsrus, I went home with a walker the first time. I don't remember now how long I used it before switching to a cane. Maybe 5 days? I went back and forth. It's not that there wasn't any discomfort, just not the sharp debilitating pain I had experienced before surgery. I was using a cane...
  2. matisse

    Right vs. Left

    Hi hipsrus....just found you here after you said hello over on my recovery thread. As you know, I had two Direct Anterior THR's with the same surgeon you have, and I'm guessing the same surgical PA (Joe Kraut). After each THR, I tapered off of the opiate pain meds starting about 1 week after...
  3. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    Dr. Fletcher was my surgeon. :) You are in top notch hands. St Peter's has a ward dedicated to hip replacement patients. I felt well cared for. I needed assistive devices in the months leading up to the surgeries that were helpful after. I got an elevated toilet seat, and also a stand that...
  4. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    Hi hipsrus, I'm near Albany also. My surgeries were done at St Peter's Hospital. I was very happy with both the surgeon (I'm not sure if I can name him here) and with my hospital care. It has been 10 months since my first THR and just over 6 months since the second. I am very happy with the...
  5. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    Hi! I've been MIA for a few months, busy with my "new life"! It's now been 7 months since my LTHR and 3 1/2 months since my RTHR. I got permission to resume bicycle riding at my second, 2 week Post-Op appointment. A few months later, it's feeling like old times pedaling around the city I...
  6. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    It has been amazing to be able to go out for walks and not have to stop to rest a bum hip joint! I have had to learn to pace myself, because the swelling and pain come later if I overstep. I have had noticeably more energy during this recovery compared to the one in January/February. I have...
  7. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    Yes @Cynthia777 it is the best feeling to be through both surgeries! I'm glad you have made it through as well....I remember now that you and I were on a similar schedule.
  8. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    My second total hip replacement went as scheduled this past Monday, May 2nd. I was my surgeon's 7th joint replacement of 8 for the day. The 8th was an emergency add-on to his schedule. I had been a little worried about being bumped off of the schedule until the hospital called and asked me...
  9. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    New life for my FitBit One? A year or so ago, my FitBit One stopped tallying flights of stairs climbed. Google searches indicated that other people had run into this problem and I chalked it up to faulty manufacturing, or perhaps that I had dropped it one too many times. At the end of last...
  10. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    Thanks Jaycey....I'm letting the right hip set the pace. It's doing much better so far this week. And overall, I am doing tons better than I was before the first hip replacement. I can be happy with that for now. I've got a weekly count down to surgery #2 going on my desk calendar. I'm...
  11. matisse

    THR I love my new hip...

    I'm in a holding pattern too....second surgery is scheduled for May 2nd. My new hip (I love mine, too!) is raring to go, but walking a long distance all at once is too hard with the un-op hip so I try to make it up with several shorter jaunts; this tends to happen naturally now that I am back...
  12. matisse

    2016 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

    I'm scheduled to have THR #2 on May 2nd. THR #1 was January 19th...I have a thread in the recovery forum. Looks like we are on a similar track, @jomarie58!
  13. matisse

    THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

    Yes, the electric recliner purchase was a good one for me, too. The "eject" mode (my PT recommended this) was especially useful right after surgery, and I am certain the recline helped keep my leg swelling to a minimum. During my early recovery, I kept an eye mask on the table next to me...
  14. matisse

    THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

    What a long haul for you, Krista. Glad you have found someone new who sounds like he will be able to help you.
  15. matisse

    THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

    By the end of this past work week my right hip (surgery scheduled for May 2, 2016) was "yelping" with every step. After a quiet weekend, the pain has largely subsided. I need this right hip to hold out for another 8 weeks!! Thankfully, my left side has recovered enough to take on the role of...
Back
Top Bottom