Recent content by MapMaker53

  1. MapMaker53

    Pain Meds + Alcohol Warning

    Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Keep in mind as you celebrate today to NEVER mix pain medication with alcohol. Best to avoid taking any pain meds today. :beer:
  2. MapMaker53

    PKR Partsman to get new parts

    Sounds like it the PKR was botched from the start if you have never been pain-free with it. I don't know how you made it through 7 years of torture. The actual TKR surgery will probably not seem any more difficult than the PKR surgery, but you will quickly be pain free during weight-bearing...
  3. MapMaker53

    Which OTC anti inflammatory is best??

    Every practicing nurse I know here understands the importance of familiarizing themselves with a patient's medical history and pre-existing conditions before ever recommending a course of combined maximum concentrations of multiple OTC medications - much less for an indefinite amount of time...
  4. MapMaker53

    Which OTC anti inflammatory is best??

    Kelly, I think you are missing my point. This "cocktail" is being presented as being safe for others. Not to pick on bottomshollow, her next statement was not referring to just herself, as in "I've taken...", but sounds like medical information coming from a forum moderator -- without knowing...
  5. MapMaker53

    Which OTC anti inflammatory is best??

    I understand your point, bottomshollo, but there are other factors in play beyond just considering if other medications contain Tylenol. The manufacture recommended dosage is based on studies that are considered representative of the general population. But many people are walking around with...
  6. MapMaker53

    Which OTC anti inflammatory is best??

    Now, that's what I call a smart woman. Actually, folks... Over a year ago (July 2011), all Tylenol manufacturers lowered their daily recommended Tylenol dosage to a maximum of 3000mg per day or risk liver damage/failure. Anyone can look that up. Seems rather dangerous and irresponsible for...
  7. MapMaker53

    Who here has had a MUA

    I was stuck at 75L/95R and had bilateral MUA at 10 weeks. That got me to 105R/115L, after which I progressed on my own to 115L/130R (last measured in March at 6 months post-op). Haven't measured myself lately, but have probably progressed a little further. It will be going for my...
  8. MapMaker53

    MUA Knee split open during MUA

    Seems to me MUAs are becoming a fairly common practice to increase ROM when steady improvement reaches a stand still early on. I hit a wall at 75 degrees ROM and my PT wasn't getting any further improvement, so my OS at HSS did a bilateral MUA at about 10 weeks which got me over that hurdle. I...
  9. MapMaker53

    8 wks post-op and still can't sleep at night!

    I'm a big fan of using a CPM having had surgeries with and without one, and in my experience my recovery was quicker the times I used it. That said, I have a feeling that your machine has not been set up properly because there should be no surface pressure pain on your leg anywhere. CPM...
  10. MapMaker53

    11 year old daughter facing knee fusion

    I would still travel to HSS for their evaluation and opinion. That entire hospital is devoted to orthopedic problems and innovative solutions and every team shares their expertise with one another. Were you told a specific reason why your daughter couldn't simply have a knee replacement? An...
  11. MapMaker53

    Revision TKR May Have Loosening Of My Implant!

    If you haven't heard back by now, a full week later, I suspect something is amiss. My guess is the doctor may have left for a few days of vacation (???) before the MRI analysis got back to his office. I would phone his office and find out what is going on. That's very unusual that no one has...
  12. MapMaker53

    Revision TKR May Have Loosening Of My Implant!

    I'm happy you feel that your very long trip was worth it, Nancy. They try not to waste time at HSS. I like the fact that if they feel they need to do an MRI they do it right then and there. I'll be interested to hear their findings. If you have any additional questions for when the doctor calls...
  13. MapMaker53

    Stella: TKR on July 2nd intro and questions

    I don't recall anyone wearing anything but sneakers to PT because they provide the best traction and are safer, especially when practicing stairs and walking without the crutches. Someone can either help you put them on, or you can simply sit in a chair and bend over at the waist to reach your...
  14. MapMaker53

    Shaving legs

    I was told not to shave my leg prior to surgery as any nick or cut would be possible cause for cancellation. Ironically, 38 years ago when I had my first knee surgery, a male nurse (or orderly) shaved my leg with a dry razor and no lubrication right before surgery and then covered my legs with...
  15. MapMaker53

    Nail polish in the OR

    Yes, married with daughter -- and a very lucky guy. Hey, at least they have each other for the toe nail color decisions. ;) I think I'll just stay out of this thread like the much wiser male members of this forum have obviously done. I know when I'm out-numbered.
Back
Top Bottom