Recent content by Lseven

  1. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    Not quite 6 months out from surgery. Just got back from a spectacular 2 week trip in New Zealand. This trip came up very quick and was a classic 'once in a lifetime' particularly since it didn't cost me anything (or my GF). The main purpose of the trip was mountain biking and the highlight was a...
  2. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    12 week app't with doc today (at near 16 weeks). All clear for whatever including skiing. That surprised me. Skiing here isn't great right now but with some snow we'll see. All clear for biking too. Just got my trainer set up in the basement and been on my own bike the last couple of days. Put...
  3. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    @Mtnmama That's great. Those pain pills really can be pretty evil. If you need them use them, if not or if they're causing other issues ditch them. Hadn't thought of the depression factor but it makes sense. I think I last took an ibuprofen 2 or 3 weeks ago and that was just because of back to...
  4. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    Plugging along and hardly even using the walking sticks on hikes anymore. Allows me to use my camera more again. No cane for 2 weeks now and walking with very little to no limp most of the time now. Physio today and a couple of new exercises again. The one is quite a killer and really feels like...
  5. Lseven

    THR Bionic me

    Maybe you can sort of 'Forest Gump' it, just start walking and keep walking. The heat may put a crimp in it though.
  6. Lseven

    THR 48hrs and BEYOND.....

    Sweet, glad you got that big rig cranked and rolling. Nice work.
  7. Lseven

    THR Bionic me

    I googled it again under images it seems. Scrolling half way down shows the mechanics of walking when the muscle is weak. Also gives exercises. Clamshells were key for me and also just 'clenching' the butt while walking with cane or not. Also bridges then lifting the non surgical foot a couple...
  8. Lseven

    THR Bionic me

    I forget which way they went in on you and can't find it right off. You sound similar to me and I just lost the cane last week finally after 2 months. I really found the key was physio exercises that focused on the gluteous medius. That's the one they went through and detached a portion of to do...
  9. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    I've thought of posting pics but find it a bit arduous on this site. Starva works great for distance and also gets elevation and gives comparative times for segments of the same route. I used to use mapmyride but it stopped connecting to the GPS. I think strava is better now anyway. The dogs...
  10. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    Another weekend of hiking. 9km on Fri and 13km on sat. Strava says I was much faster and second day was a bit longer doubling back for a dog that went missing and to get some bike pictures. Sunday went for a long dog walk (4+km) that is pretty flat. Forgot my cane but walked it fine without and...
  11. Lseven

    Femoral Neck Fracture -> ORIF -> THR = Panic

    Surgeon referred to it as 'anterior lateral'. Near as I can figure it's pretty much lateral but whatever. So 90 degree restriction for 3 months I think. No restriction for leg going backward. At the end with my bad hip getting on the bike got pretty awkward. You can step over it while it lies on...
  12. Lseven

    Femoral Neck Fracture -> ORIF -> THR = Panic

    I do quite a bit of cycling road and mtb myself for many years. I'm 9 or 10 weeks post op and I don't foresee any issue with getting back on the bike. Through december I was on a stationary 5days a week for 30mins each. At the end of that I was even standing up on the pedals some. To start I had...
  13. Lseven

    THR Need Advice on body mechanics after thr

    You could always just try an over the counter footbed. SOLE footbeds have a lot of support and have helped me tons. I used to pronate badly but doing a lot of walking the last decade almost always with footbeds or orthotics and I pronate way less now. If the sole footbeds have too little support...
  14. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    The car thing is really a pain. Not sure which leg you had done now but mine was left. I drive an auto now so don't need that leg. I started driving after 2 weeks. They were saying no driving for 6 but gave no real or good reason for that. Pretty sure it was a malpractice lawyer thing which...
  15. Lseven

    THR Lseven Oct 26, '15

    2 weeks out I was walking about 1.6kms (1mile) flat and I was the king of delicious afternoon naps. I sure wasn't going to work for 5 hours. Those midday naps continued until 4 weeks or so. It wasn't so cold back then but the naps kept my energy up and probably helped keep my furnace regulated...
Back
Top Bottom