Recent content by laralealu

  1. L

    THR Mar’s New Hip in May 22

    Hi everyone, I just wanted to advocate for shoes, inside as well as outside. Six days after my first tkr operation I slipped in bare feet on my bathroom floor, falling and fully flexing my knee. 5 surgeries later I have still not recovered my mobility. It’s been awful. I just wish I had been...
  2. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Hi Crowwood, hang in there…you are right in the middle of a really challenging time, I found the IV antibiotics to be exhausting. I was definitely napping more than once a day. My spacer experience was a little different as my surgeon implanted a regular prosthesis with temporary cement infused...
  3. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Hi @Catalien45, thanks for your note. I’m happy to hear you are at home and recovering well. The iv antibiotics are tough, I was always so sleepy and dehydrated...so I hope you get lots of rest and drink lots of water. I’ll keep up the good fight, like you I look forward to the simple things...
  4. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Hi @Pumpkin, Thanks you for your advice, I’m reaching out to HSS this week, I really seems like their joint team is well suited for my issues and they already have half my records! and I will follow up on the nuclear bone scan, i wasn’t familiar with that test. and I’m always icing, my...
  5. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Hi @PegGar16, Thank you for following up, the catscan really didn’t yield much info… IMPRESSION: CT of the right knee demonstrates: Status post right total knee arthroplasty. Hardware appears intact. No periprosthetic fracture. (Yay, great news!) Large suprapatellar effusion. The...
  6. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Hi Bone Smart Friends, It has been awhile since my last post (and a couple more surgeries). In June 2020 I had the stage 2 surgery for post-infection and was optimistic that my knee issues were behind me. I was walking 1-2 miles a day, life was good. In January 2021 I was swinging my legs off...
  7. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Big news since Friday... I’m done with the immobilizer, hurray! And I started PT at home today. Knocking on wood, things are going well. I’m so grateful for all the support. But I’m nervous, and trying to take things slowly. My fall happened when I was a bit overconfident and stopped focusing...
  8. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Full weight bearing with the immobilizer. I was using a walker, but I’m transitioning to a cane. What do you think of that, too soon? Is it normal to remain on a maintenance dose of anti-b’s for so long?
  9. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    I gotcha... it’s the piece that I always think of as replacing the meniscus. So since your infection happened fairly soon after your initial tkr they didn’t have to take out all the hardware? Right now it’s 8pm and I’m waiting for the IV nurse to arrive to change the PICC line dressing and...
  10. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Waiting really is the hardest part and since I’ve had so many surgeries on this knee in such a short amount of time the surgeon really wants to leave the spacer in for as long as possible. So the current goal is to kick the infection, regain my mobility, resume my life and let the soft tissues...
  11. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    I took a shower today, my first since surgery and wow did that feel great. I have a really good transfer chair and had help reaching everything. After that, I had my first dressing change at home. The wound looks really good and dry. Since I’ve had four surgeries on this knee the skin is pretty...
  12. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Hi Josephine, I think it’s hard for me to admit that I can’t manage all this on my own. My support network is remarkable, but I think finding another source for emotional support is really important. You guys have been through it all and connecting with this group is already helping.
  13. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.
  14. L

    Knee Infection* 4 surgeries, 2 revisions, 1 staph epi infection

    Thank you for telling me your story. Your outcome sounds great, it also sounds like you did a lot of hard work. Having patience during theses early weeks is one of the hardest parts, don’t you think? How was your pain and pain management? It’s challenging, as even the most simple things can be...
Back
Top Bottom