Recent content by Kneeophyte

  1. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    I’ve nearly reached 5 months since my left TKR. I’ve returned to many of my pre-surgery fitness activities (strength training classes, lap swimming, walking). My knee hasn’t let me forget it is still in recovery – it remains much stiffer and much less willing to be kneeled on than my other knee...
  2. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    I’m now over 4 months post-TKR. I had PT through January and had good range of motion (0-125). Since ending PT, I’ve returned to more of my pre-TKR activities. Those includes doing some type of exercise nearly every day – a twice weekly strength class (squats, bridges, lunges, hamstring curls...
  3. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    On Tuesday I had my last scheduled physical therapy session. It’s been 16 weeks since my TKR. The knee is still quite stiff and grumpy. And I definitely have a way to go to re-build muscles, especially the hamstring, which seems to favor hibernation. But my ROM is fine and I trust my regular...
  4. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    I'm quoting what I wrote in March 2021, when my right knee was a couple months post-TKR. It is exactly what I'm experiencing now, a couple months+ after my left knee's TKR. This time, I have in-person physical therapy sessions (unlike in 2021 during Covid) and the benefit of my therapist's...
  5. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    Today was a special day – my incision was finally healed enough for me to return to the pool. I’ve been a lap swimmer for years and was persuaded to join a local Masters’ team a couple years ago. I’ve always been among their very slowest swimmers. And, of course I’m even slower now and...
  6. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    This morning, I had my 6-week checkup AND my first out-of-the-home physical therapy visit. The Physician’s Assistant apologized for the untrue statement in his previous after-visit summary and for failing to ask the questions the statement covered. Ideally, he would have contacted me after...
  7. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    Today I’m at 5-weeks post TKR. Sleeping: The surgeon said it was fine for me to use magnesium glycinate (or melatonin, or other sleep aids). I’ve now used it a few nights and it does seem to help (thank you @Layla ). I’ve also started using an extended-release formulation of acetaminophen, 650...
  8. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    Thanks @Layla, I'm checking with medical team on possible use of magnesium glycinate. I normally have a pretty vigorous exercise schedule and am sure sleeping will get easier again once I'm able to return to more of those activities. BTW, that physician's assistant stayed silent after I...
  9. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    It’s been almost a month since my TKR. After tapering down, yesterday was my first day totally off Tylenol 3 (acetaminophen and codeine) and just using over-the-counter medications (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin). Tylenol 3 makes me drowsy, so without it, falling asleep and staying asleep...
  10. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    Have you run across this campaign - https://march2amillion.com/ - to have patients recover from joint replacements while minimizing use of opioids? I’m a bit surprised that my surgeon is publicizing his support. He tends to recommend a longer list of medications than most. And he pushes his...
  11. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    This morning, I checked once again and the untrue statement had vanished from the after-visit "Progress Notes". I haven't heard anything from the Physician's Assistant so far. He's supposed to do a check-in phone call sometime in the coming days and I'm curious whether he'll mention it...
  12. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    Re. the Physician's Assistant whose after-visit summary claimed I'd denied experiencing certain problems when that wasn't true (he hadn't asked me and I'd had some of the problems): I emailed him without copying others, hoping he'd simply apologize and make the correction (hopefully also...
  13. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    I’ve never done this before, but I emailed the physician’s assistant I saw for my 2-weeks post-TKR visit, asking him to correct the after-visit summary. The summary stated I denied a list of issues (things like digestive problems, nausea, dizziness, etc.). But in fact, he never asked me about...
  14. Kneeophyte

    TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

    Yesterday was Day 13 and I had my first post-op check up with a physician’s assistant on the surgeon’s team. Despite the detailed “after-visit-summary”, that exam was actually very brief. Mainly, the physician’s assistant fussed because he measured my flexion as 95 degrees when he wanted it to...
  15. Kneeophyte

    Bilateral PKR On the other side

    Yikes, so sorry you're experiencing those, @Legseleven! Progress is good, but would hope that might be possible without the zingers. (I did enjoy READING the meaning of a "stonking zinger". Great phrase, but better not to be on the receiving end!)
Back
Top Bottom