Recent content by kneeidea63

  1. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    Thank you for the advice. I need to remind myself to take some pain meds before and ice afterwards. Onward and upward!
  2. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    Thank you @Roy Gardiner for the encouragement. My exercise bike doesn’t have a great seat range, so I’ll be rocking back and forth for a while. I can only get a full circle if I stand on the pedals off the seat. I also have a set of pedals I need to get back out. The “chat and pix” were...
  3. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    It's now 9 months since my second TKR. As Bonesmart tells us no two knees are the same, and over the last few months I've learned that. My right knee was reluctant to flex, but my left knee has decided to top that. On the positive side, as I wrote in March, I have at least 90 degrees of bend...
  4. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    Yesterday I had another check up. A different registrar from the last one (the surgeon is on holiday) and what a difference. This chap was gentle, no aggressive pushing, and very positive about my progress. And there has been progress. My knee is now beyond 90 degrees flexion and the extension...
  5. kneeidea63

    TKR 3 weeks and counting

    Getting the sleep in is hard. I scheduled in a pain-meds assisted afternoon sleep to make up for the hours missed at night, and it really helped. I love reading, but I knew from my first TKR that my brain would be totally fogged, so I watch box sets of tv and listen to radio dramas. My favourite...
  6. kneeidea63

    TKR Peaches0000 Recovery Thread

    If you’re back at work then your daily activities are really going to test your knee. Do you have a walking stick? I found that with my stick I didn’t worry about losing my balance and was able to focus on getting the heel-toe movement right. Without a stick I stiffened my knee and that can make...
  7. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    Hi @Peaches0000, yes, it’s so easy to look at other people and make negative comparisons about your own progress. The woman in the next bed to me in the hospital, same op, same surgeon, was doing so much better than me at bending her leg, but , I was doing much better than her straightening. It...
  8. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    After my last post I revisited my posts from my first surgery and realised that the flexion on my left knee is MUCH worse than the right knee was in the first two months: 115. However, the right knee went rapidly backward as I pushed too hard, and trained rather than recovered. So, at three...
  9. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    So, it’s three weeks since I had my follow-up appointment with my surgeon, and saw one of his registrars, rather than the man himself, although I could hear him behind the scenes. I’ve taken some time to assimilate what was said there and at my last physio appointment. In summary he said: New...
  10. kneeidea63

    TKR Ltkr on 15th January 2020

    In the UK the physios attached to the hospital get you out of bed, show you how to walk with your sticks, do stairs, and basic home exercises, before you are discharged from hospital. It’s then down to you to follow the programme of home exercises you’re given. One to one physio at home isn’t an...
  11. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    Thank you, @Celle . I keep meaning to do an update. Thank you @Suz, @lovetocookandsew, and @Helizabug for your support. I see my surgeon this afternoon for my 6 week check up, although it seems so much longer than that since I had surgery. I’m hoping I have to chance to discuss the posterior...
  12. kneeidea63

    TKR Ltkr on 15th January 2020

    I’m in the UK too. My LTKR was in December, 5 years after my RTKR. I didn’t start formal physio until 4 weeks after surgery, one week sounds brutal. The attitude of physios here seems to have changed to a more relaxed approach to recovery in those 5 years. Research, understanding and patient...
  13. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    The attitude of physios here seems to have changed to a more relaxed approach to recovery in those 5 years. Research, understanding and patient rights have changed. I pushed hard to get my ROM with the right knee and consequently had a lot of swelling and pain and very slow progress, it took...
  14. kneeidea63

    TKR kneeidea63's TKR Recovery Thread

    As it turned out the denture didn’t arrive on time so I was in and out of hospital before it appeared. I had my surgery as a “toothless crone”, but decided I could live with that. I came out of hospital exactly two weeks ago. All went well; I had the spinal I wanted, out in under 3 days, and...
  15. kneeidea63

    TKR If it can go wrong...: emergency dental work & cat scratch

    Thanks for the advice, Kim. As it turned out the denture didn’t arrive on time so I was in and out of hospital before it appeared. I had my surgery as a “toothless crone”, but decided I could live with that. I came out of hospital exactly two weeks ago. All went well; I had the spinal I wanted...
Back
Top Bottom