Recent content by JayP

  1. JayP

    THR Fighting Post-op Hip & Back Pain & Muscle Issues

    @Charlie33 You mentioned perthes. I was diagnosed at and had femoral osteotomies at about age 10. Up until my RTHR in 2015 I had fairly frequent back problems. 2-3 times per year I could count on my back going out with spasms, pulling to one side. The arthritis that had worsened over the years...
  2. JayP

    THR 2nd hip getting done soon

    @PolarIce I don't believe it is dual mobility. It is similar to my 2015 implant only with a shorter stem. The surgeon may also use a different approach. My right hip in 2015 was lateral, following the same incision as my osteotomies from decades ago. He mentioned maybe doing anterior this time...
  3. JayP

    THR 2nd hip getting done soon

    Thank you @Zorro and @Layla I am staying healthy as far as nutrition and exercise. To somewhat complicate things - I lost my job of 18 years this past July. I had to fight for a better compensation package, which now buys me some time before I have to worry about finances. The anticipated...
  4. JayP

    THR 2nd hip getting done soon

    Hello - It's been almost 10 years since I had my right hip replacement done. Left hip has been steadily getting bad but has really been speeding up the last 2 years. It's not helping that my knees are not pain-free. My left knee, along with my left hip, have been more painful, more frequently...
  5. JayP

    THR Need help

    Another Yes here. Prior to the hip replacement I had frequent SI joint issues (having it adjusted felt GOOD). After the replacement and restarting activity and exercise, my back pain is much better. Other than occasional, relatively minor soreness or stiffness, practically no SI issues.
  6. JayP

    THR LTHR - Dysplasia & Legg Calve Perthes Disease

    @JT56 hope you are doing well. Perthes here as well - bilateral (right was significantly worse). Had oseotomies at 10 years old. Also had a clean-up of the right hip around 18 years old (loose bone/cartilage fragments floating around and labral tear). Had the right hip replaced at 45 years old...
  7. JayP

    THR I think its time...THR.

    @tanvat Have a good trip. I dealt with increasing pain and loss of range of motion. For me the loss was in toward centre and up toward chest. I was dealing with that but my trigger point for the surgery was aching pain just lying in bed.
  8. JayP

    THR I think its time...THR.

    @tanvat I'm currently 52. Had my right THR at age 45. Been active with weight lifting and boxing since 2016. Prior to the surgery I had years of doing weights, karate, jiu-jitsu, and yoga. Prior to the surgery my surgeon wasn't too keen on my going back to jiu-jitsu so I looked at more 'hip...
  9. JayP

    THR What would you do? Please help

    As some others have already said, and as my surgeon said, if you are clinically a candidate you have to decide if you are in enough pain or if quality of life has been impacted enough. When you state "repositioning" do you mean surgery (osteotomy?). I had that on both hips when around 10. I...
  10. JayP

    Where are are the guys on here?!

    Guy checking in. I check in once-in-awhile but was much more active here prior to surgery and in the first few months after. @sfbaylover Very similar story - bilateral Perthes - surgery with hardware at a young age - right was worse - osteoarthritis got the better of me - replacement almost 5...
  11. JayP

    When do I know its time?

    I had mine done in 2015. Found a surgeon I trusted and liked. When I first really considered the replacement (around 2012, maybe) I saw my surgeon and was expecting one of 2 answers: 1. "You're nowhere near ready... don't do it" or 2. "Can't believe you walked in here on that hip. Worst I've...
  12. JayP

    Anesthesia

    Spinal with sedation was mostly great for me. Prior to the hip replacement I'd had several surgeries, all with general - always sick for several hours. Felt great upon waking after the spinal. However I was one of several patients THAT particular day that had trouble urinating. A quick...
  13. JayP

    Did you have referred pain in your knee?

    I absolutely had knee pain and that is gone now with the replacement. I still have it on the non-operated side. My hip can catch a spot when sitting that I would swear is my knee 'locking up' that I have to wiggle around in order to stand sometimes, especially after being active. Not nearly as...
  14. JayP

    Did you teach yourself to sleep on your back before surgery?

    Practicing probably not a bad idea. I am not a back sleeper, although oddly enough I can nap on my back. I didn't practice before surgery and didn't end up having a hard time after surgery. I think I was tired enough that it wasn't an issue. I used a recliner but I don't think I slept in it...
  15. JayP

    Too young

    Had my RTHR at 44 just over 2 years ago. Back to boxing, weight lifting, and walking/hiking/cycling. I've been cleared for just about anything and have chosen to stay light on the squatting and deadlifting. Once I was given the ok for weight lifting, I had planned on a very VERY slow progression...
Back
Top Bottom