Update:
5 months post op
No instability or dislocations. Going to PT regularly to slowly increase range of motion and work on strengthening. Still had trouble with groin pain making it difficult to do straight leg lifts, go up stairs and get in car.
Had second opinion with Dr. Mayman at HSS...
Update, about 5 weeks post op:
Doing much better. Stopped using cane unless icy outside. Have a decent limp and need to hold railing to get upstairs. Put away assistive devices but still slow to get sock on surgical side. Had a wound infection and was treated with antibiotics for 2 weeks-just...
Glad you haven't dislocated again! It does sound like a long recovery though.
I'm still very swollen and have trouble standing up all the way straight but am getting around with a cane. I'm very protective of the hip and of course don't want to dislocate again so I'm guarding the surrounding...
How are you doing now? I've had a dislocation (directly after surgery before I even got out of bed) so I'm reading about others experiences and (hopefully) success stories post dislocation
Hi Fionn
I'm only 9 days post op on my R THR. I dislocated after my first surgery before I even made it out of bed. The surgeon has no idea why it happened. It was the most painful experience (lasted about 24 hours until they could get me back in surgery) of my life. The neck was extended...
Thanks! Yes, pretty much constantly icing and elevating while trying to move about once an hour or so to stand up. Got dressed on my own with the reacher and sock aid so that is a plus!
Now I'm 5 days out from the revision surgery. I battled extreme nausea and near fainting from opioids. I was in the hospital an extra night because I had lack of stamina for standing/walking and stairs due to the nausea. After settling on an anti-emetic and tramadol instead of Percocet things...
Second surgery went well although I am quite sore and bruised and oozing blood from the incision. The surgeon put in a longer stem and changed out the liner on the acetabulum with one with a lip/ridge on it. They didn't really know why or how I dislocated. I did find out from the tech here that...
Well, unfortunately I had very bad luck. Things seemed to go fine, recovery was smooth until the spinal block wore off. My operated leg was getting more painful despite pain meds and was stuck in external rotation. By the time the nurses called the surgeon he was gone. The portable X-ray team...
Thanks Josephine. The surgeons office sent home a letter stating surgery may be cancelled if you consume anything including water after midnight the night before. Probably overkill for afternoon procedures but I'm sure they have to be strict or people break the rules. Hopefully my tiny vein...
I'm scheduled Monday 12/12/16 for RTHR. I'm the last of 7 surgeries for my doctor! The receptionist said I'm last because I'm the youngest (40). I'm a bit worried about the surgeon getting fatigued by then, but I'm sure he's used to long days. My other worry is being dehydrated by the time they...
Hi Matisse, your info has been very helpful! I would normally have Joe for a follow up but since it's right around Christmas, I'll have Greg instead.
Did you go home with a walker or a cane? How long did you use walking assistive devices? Thanks!
Thanks Jaycey. I wanted to make sure I wasn't hijacking this thread with my particular questions!
Matisse- if you are comfortable answering here are a few of my questions:
Which surgeon did you have? (I have Dr. Fletcher)
Did you use assitive devices including the sock thing, elevated toilet...
That's where I will be having surgery as well! My preop appointment is tomorrow. If you don't mind, I'd love to ask you some questions. Let me know the best way (on here, email etc..)
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.