Recent content by hippietoo

  1. hippietoo

    THR New here Help<

    It’s been nine years since my RTHR. I remember that the first three months post-op were full of ups and downs. Some days I had zero pain, and other days I had 7 pain. Sometimes it’s was groin, sometimes over the trochanter, and sometime it was in the center of my buttocks. What I learned, was...
  2. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    At 7 weeks post-op I am pleased with my recovery. My OS said the X-rays were fine, and that my next visit should be in my one year anniversary. I measure 0 Extension, and 135 Flexion. I am walking without my cane, and have been doing so for the last three weeks. I ride my exercise bike 20...
  3. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    I didn't say it was easy:) I was nervous about falling, but my wife helped me walk into the shower. I did have a shower chair, and it was adjusted to about as high as it could go. I have semi-rough stone tiles on the shower floor, so I wasn't worried about slipping. Getting up from the chair...
  4. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    I agree that turning the foot outward does relieve my pain. As I concentrate on keeping it straight it appears to be getting better. I've also found that as my strength improves my pain improves.
  5. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    I'm at 4 weeks post-op and doing well. Here is a snapshot of my current condition; 1. I have been off of the walker, and on a cane for two weeks. I am able to walk without the cane, but I am not strong enough to do so without a limp. 2. I am sleeping through the night, but I cannot sleep in...
  6. hippietoo

    Pain Science

    I've stumbled upon a very interesting and enlightening website dedicated to the science of pain. PainScience.com has more than 50 articles dedicated to challenging our thought processes on chronic and acute pain, efficacy of treatment modalities,and debunking of some commonly held beliefs, (No...
  7. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    I don't have the ability to have at home PT. I live in a very tiny town, outside of a small metro area. It's funny when I lived in a huge metro area, no one thought a 45 minute drive was a big deal. Here they think that that drive is equivalent to driving a large distance. Anyway I'm using OP...
  8. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    I am paying a high price for going out to eat after PT. In the middle of the night I moved from the guest room to the recliner. I was in level 8 pain, and all of the swelling returned. This is what I thought might happen, but I suppose I had to definitively determine if the stove was still hot...
  9. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    Today was a good day. My pain was very manageable, and I noticed my swelling was half of yesterday's. My PT appointment went smoothly. I told the PT that I wanted feedback and guidance,but no hands on manipulation. They agreed and said that they have a no-pain philosophy. We went through all...
  10. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    Yesterday,(Postop day 4). Having learned my lesson from the day before, I set my activity goals to move no more than necessary. I performed a few heal slides and quad tightening exercises, but I did no more than 5 of each. The rest of the day I shared the recliner with pillows, a blanket, and...
  11. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    PostOp day 3 Starting the day before dawn, I tried to enjoy my first full day at home with the new knee. The knee didn't have this agenda in mind. The knee said, "I'm not swollen, I don't hurt, so move around and and we'll be fine." My knee is a liar! By midday I had the Cold Rush running full...
  12. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    As many of you have noted, sleep is a challenge. I propped up pillows and blankets on the recliner, took an Ambien, and fell asleep rather quickly. Two hours later I'm awake and in pain. I turned the cold machine back on and when the pain abated I went back to sleep. An hour and a half later...
  13. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    I'm home! Nothing feels better than being in ones own house. The PT tried her best this morning. Before she started her speech I told her, " This is how it's going to go this morning. I'm not going to increase my reps from yesterday, and if anything hurts I may stop the activity." She...
  14. hippietoo

    TKR Hippietoo's recovery

    Your advice on the pain medications is so true. I've had a number of painful orthopedic surgeries. The most painful was my rotator cuff. I learned from my THR that getting behind the curve is a very bad thing. Newbie patients really need to heed that advice.
Back
Top Bottom