Recent content by HandyAndy

  1. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    @copsham , I sure hope I have the potential to get 25 - 35 yrs! That'd be awesome. I had my implant at the age of 44, so I am not looking forward to the next procedure (or two). I had read and heard comments that 25 - 35 yrs is possible, from other sources. But my surgeon gave me the 15 - 20...
  2. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    @CricketHip , @copsham Additionally, I have read that the Accolade 2 is a new blend of metals that is not supposed to cause fretting. I have also learned that while only specific lots of the Accolade TMZFs were recalled, some patients are having problems with fretting from necks outside of the...
  3. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    @Jaycey Why are metal on metal not recommended for women?
  4. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    In the spirit of being your own advocate, some of you may wish to request a copy of your Op Report as well as your "implant log". This should detail the specific parts you have - make, model, serial and lot #s. You can check this against any FDA recalls (at least those in the US) that may exist.
  5. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    The surgeon who performed my left THR left the clinic 8 months post op, so I am unable to ask him directly why I have a metal ball as opposed to ceramic. The new hip surgeon said he could not speak for the original ortho but assumes that an interop decision was made to go with a metal ball...
  6. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    @CricketHip and @copsham , You should rest easy. The Accolade II has no reported problems as far as we have read. In fact, I wish mine was an Accolade II as they are apparently designed to make future revisions (if needed) easier and to provide a greater fit for various shapes/lengths of femurs.
  7. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    Continued fortunate progress...the clinic in which I had the LTHR performed had a cancelation and I will be seeing their Hip director THIS wednesday (it'll be a long and painful 3 hr drive each way). Next available opening was not until late January. Based on phone calls with Stryker and web...
  8. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    Thank you ALL! It was a tortuous 4 day holiday weekend with Dr's office closed and all. I was able to squeeze into a canceled appt with my general physician this morning. They drew blood and will test for chromium and cobalt - the two metals which fret from my particular stem/ball union. I will...
  9. H

    THR Need advice...my implant was recalled

    It's been a LONG time since I've checked in here, sorry. Life after postop swept me away and I tried not to look back. Almost two months ago I started feeling a bit sore in the hip area, and then experienced what felt like a lower back strain. It has not improved and now I am having pain sitting...
  10. H

    THR Almost 7 months since post-op

    Hi Jamie Although my pain does jump around, it is most consistently directly behind my knee, between the upper calf and hamstring, almost on a daily basis. I'm not doing anything odd to cause it. Not sure if it is due to tight muscles. The IT band is consistently sore as well. Thanks.
  11. H

    THR Almost 7 months since post-op

    I have not checked in here for quite some time. I'll be 7 months post-op next week. It has been a journey. I started feeling quite well a couple months ago. Had some frequent days in which I felt very normal. And then significant knee pain (in the back) set in. Caused me to start limping again...
  12. H

    THR Made it to the other side!

    I have been very bad at checking in. But, I am happy to report that I feel really good. The piriformis pain that had haunted me for so long is gone, gone, gone :yahoo: I am sleeping great at night, and can even sleep for long periods on my new hip. When I sit for more than 3 minutes, or drive...
  13. H

    THR My new anterior hip procedure

    Hi Staceyjp Welcome to BoneSmart. I had my THR (left) almost 7 weeks ago, direct anterior. I am recovering very well. Already working around the house for about 4 hours at a time (remodeling work - tearing down walls and building new ones, I am a contractor). I do suffer from pain, but it is...
  14. H

    THR Made it to the other side!

    Yes, everything with the new hip feels just great. Range of motion feels almost normal. The pririformis continues to hurt on a daily basis. In the weeks proceeding my THR I was experiencing some pretty intense "referred" pain, which radiated along the outer quad (just above the knee) and became...
  15. H

    THR Made it to the other side!

    Cardie, good suggestions, thanks. I was recently wondering (sorry if it sounds stupid to ask) what good it would do to stretch my piriformis muscle since it has been surgically released from my femur? My understanding is that it no longer performs any function. My OS did not recommend anything...
Back
Top Bottom