Recent content by gingko

  1. G

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    Hi, It is hard to understand why there might be metal ions since there is no movement between the metal shell and the metal liner, yet studies show, through a process of corrosion, a small amount of ions can be released. Here is one...
  2. G

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    I understand that wear with dual mobility is not the only issue. The device has a metal encasing that is installed up against the metal acetabular liner. This constitutes a metal on metal articulation (not talking about the ball and socket which is often ceramic on poly). Some reports show...
  3. G

    THR Revision surgeon needed

    I have been reading about metal ion levels rising especially in young active people with dual mobility implants. Has anyone had their metals checked by a blood test? I'm hoping to go for dual mobility as my current replacement is subluxing regularly. But the metal ion thing is scaring me. Thanks...
  4. G

    THR Revision surgeon needed

    Thank you Jamie and Josephine. I was thinking the same thing but the highly recommended high volume posterior surgeons I went to felt strongly that I should have my revision via the anterior approach because they did not want the posterior hip capsule to be opened up since my anterior capsule...
  5. G

    THR Looking for an expert in complex hip revisions

    Thank you very much! I will look into Thomas K. Fehring, MD. I don't mind the distance. From the little I just read online it appears that he does a lot more knees than hips and I'm not sure he favors the anterior approach for hip as I read some criticism he has for the procedure. I will call...
  6. G

    THR Looking for an expert in complex hip revisions

    Sorry, I did not see your response. Update: I am still looking for an anterior revision surgeon. I live in San Francisco but will go anywhere in the USA. Thanks much!
  7. G

    THR Revision surgeon needed

    Hello, I am seeking a surgeon who performs revision hip surgery using the dual mobility device with an anterior approach. My 2011 THA is doing well but my 2017 THA is subluxing (partial dislocation) regularly and I'm ready to face revision. Both of my THAs were anterior approach so I'd like to...
  8. G

    Bilateral THR anterior or posterior

    I am 4 1/2 months post- op from anterior (DAA). I had it done with the most experienced DAA surgeon in the US- Dr. Matta. It is nice having no restrictions at the beginning but my recovery is very slow. I'm still having pain and swelling. They did X-rays and my implant is perfectly placed and...
  9. G

    Anterior or Posterior - Decision Decision

    I had the anterior approach about 14 weeks ago and am still healing and having some pain and swelling with walking and exercise. I would say the main Advantages of the anterior approach are: 1. no restrictions 2. possibly easier earlier recovery 3. possibly less leg length discrepancy issues...
  10. G

    Post op blues

    I'm 9 weeks out and still need the cane after I over do. I feel this recovery is pretty slow but I notice I'm gradually getting better so I know it will be OK. I've heard it's better to use a cane than to limp so I'm committed to using the cane until I can walk perfectly without it. I don't want...
  11. G

    THR lakeview's recovery...the light at the end of the tunnel

    Re: 2 weeks post op...looking for the light at the end of the tunnel Hello Jennifer, I was also given Narco 10. You need to "stay ahead of the pain" by taking it exactly every 4 hours EVEN in the middle of the night. Set your alarm clock, kitchen timer or cell phone. The medicine works MUCH...
  12. G

    THR Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

    Anterior THR 4 weeks today! Hi Everyone, I think things are going very well. I weaned off narcotics this past week and am taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) 1000mg only once or twice a day before exercise. My home physical therapist transitioned me from walker to cane and now says I can walk...
  13. G

    THR Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

    Brownies to help take meds to avoid nausea Wow, what a great idea! Only thing is I am a sugar addict and have not eaten any sweets in 11 years!!! What I'm doing now instead of saltines is a little cup of brown rice. It is not delicious cold but seems to do the trick of preventing the nausea...
  14. G

    THR Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

    Re: tramadol vs codeine Thank you everyone for your replies about Tramadol. I'm going to try taking two 50 mg tabs with two extra strength Tylenol (1,000mg acetaminophen) as Josephine suggests this afternoon. It is very encouraging to learn that many of you could not stop the pain meds at 2 or...
  15. G

    THR Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

    Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR OK, thanks. The itching seems to be much less now. It's funny because it is far away from my incision but on the same leg. It seemed to start when the swelling went down so maybe the skin was reacting to the absence of swelling. Who knows...
Back
Top Bottom