Recent content by GabBill

  1. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Thanks, Diana. I think in large part is knowing I'm not going this alone. Having a doctor there who understands helps tremendously. Bill
  2. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Sandy, Funny, I grew up in Queens and went through the NYC public school system. I don't ever remembering having any swimming requirement. About the only think pool-related I do remember is from high school: people used to talk about the non-existent 5th floor pool in a building having only 4...
  3. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Sandy, I didn't realize your TKR was just a few days before mine on June 21st. I give you a lot of credit for being so frank about weight loss and gain. It's a tough subject in my house. My family has the fat gene, I'm sorry to say. My wife battles it every day. My kids have the ability to put...
  4. G

    TKR sshoopman has recovery questions

    Hello sshoopman, I was thrown for a loop when reading your post. I am in exactly the same situation as you. I am just over 8 weeks out and have been troubled by pain and the whole pain meds issue. And we're not alone. I too am still experiencing pain. I don't have babies to watch, but I do go to...
  5. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Maryo52, I'm sure there will be anxiety. Our bodies have gone through a beating and get used to these drugs. There's no hurry. I'm seeing my pain doc this week. Will discuss it with him. Thanks, Bill
  6. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Hi PDX, Ha!! Smelly peas. Only when I eat too much asparagus. Sorry, maybe a little inappropriate, but I just couldn't resist. Today I'm 8 weeks out. Pain is reduced. I won't say tremedously, but certainly significantly. So that's a major plus. I'm sleeping much better. Doing my PT 3X a...
  7. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    I'll check em out. Coming from someone with a penguin as an avatar, they must be chilly good. Bill
  8. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Thanks MaryO and Kneeper... As it truns out, I didn't take it as easy this weekend as I would have liked. Was my wife's birthday. How, after she took such good care of me, could I not go out for her birthday? We didn't do any dacning. Just dinner with another couple. I did ice as much as I...
  9. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Good morning Diana, I see you're also an early riser. I'm in my office since 6:15 Eastern time. I never heard of step down meds. Sounds like a good thing. Can you give me any examples of what step down meds are? I promise I'll be more dilligent with icing and elevation. I realize I may be...
  10. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Thank you all for your VERY reassuring repsonses to my concerns. By reading these posts and those in other threads, I see I'm not the exception. It seems many if not all of us go through this stage. It can be difficult. I don't know how many of us had any idea what a TKR would entail before we...
  11. G

    TKR Am I on the right track?

    You coulld have been telling my story. I'm at 7 weeks and going through the exact same thing. Weeks 5-6 showed great improvement, but week 7 has been pretty tough. I wonder if we improve just enough to think we're over the hump and then over do it. After a week or so of that it catches up with...
  12. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Thanks, Diana. You know, it's hard for people who haven't gone through this to understand the physical and emotional demands of a TKR. Even my wife says to me and others, "I can see by his face he's in a lot of pain and I wish there were more I could do for him. But I have no way of knowing what...
  13. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    First, to answer Josehpine's questions: 1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! ) Pain levels have been averaging a 3-4 during the day. Evenings...
  14. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Thank you, Nancy. Just to correct an error in my original post, weeks 5 and 6 were when things started to turn around somewhat. Week 4 was still pretty tough. bill
  15. G

    TKR Pain meds Problem??

    Thanks, Carol
Back
Top Bottom