Recent content by FCBayern

  1. FCBayern

    TKR FC Bayern's House of Healing

    Today makes 5 years on the amazing new knee that gave me my life back. It's been a while since I've had time to post but I had to take a minute to celebrate this day. I'm now the proud owner of a 12 year old STAR ankle, a 5 year old knee, and a 4 year old hip. My friends call me bionic, I call...
  2. FCBayern

    TKR TKR Progress

    Congrats on a full year of recovery. My ROM went from 120 to 140+ during my second year of recovery, so improvements are likely to continue.
  3. FCBayern

    TKR new knee feb 21 and a question

    I slept in my recliner for the first 6-8 weeks, I couldn't sleep more than 15 minutes in bed, it was more painful and I couldn't get comfortable.
  4. FCBayern

    TKR new knee feb 21 and a question

    Taking the PT slow and easy while listening to your body will help you achieve your desired ROM while not causing as much pain and swelling. When you over use the joint (and IT gets to decide what's too much and what's not) it swells and your ROM decreases. Prior to my TKR I was aware of the...
  5. FCBayern

    Bilateral THR What a Rollercoaster

    Take recovery slowly and listen to your body. In less time than you think you'll be moving pain free! :walking:
  6. FCBayern

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    All in all a pretty successful trip @Stephplum and even better days ahead. Glad to hear things went well.
  7. FCBayern

    Ankle About to get a TAR (Australia).

    I didn't have my achilles lengthened with my TAR but at that time it seemed like about 50% of people did. My achilles is still very tight after all the PT and 10 years of walking on my TAR, so I would definitely talk with your OS about benefits/drawbacks of lengthening. I can tell you that after...
  8. FCBayern

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    I agree that you have a great approach to your hiking @Stephplum. Looking forward to an update after you return.
  9. FCBayern

    Ankle Recovery from Bimalleolar Fracture

    Sounds like you are making good progress @Sprill. The range of motion they had me start with after my ankle replacement and 6 weeks in a boot was to try and write the alphabet with your toes. That did seem like it worked on every direction your ankle should move.
  10. FCBayern

    TKR New Here

    It definitely sounds like too much activity during the day and not near enough icing. I used my ice machine 24/7 for the first 6 weeks of recovery, only disconnecting for trips to the bathroom, kitchen etc. Even in an office setting going back at 7 weeks is pretty aggressive, if you can wait 12...
  11. FCBayern

    TKR Embracing the Recovery Process

    Please tell us which knee you had replaced and we will add it to your signature.
  12. FCBayern

    TKR Embracing the Recovery Process

    Finding the right balance of PT is very individual. Some people do great with aggressive PT, others like myself find that formal PT causes increased pain and swelling, something that isn't going to speed or improve your recovery, just slow you down and put you in pain. I canceled PT after one...
  13. FCBayern

    TKR 4 weeks out of TKR and IT band is slowing progress

    I would definitely stop any activity that causes IT band pain until it recovers enough to not be painful doing gentle stretches. After my first PT session that left me swollen and in pain I dropped PT completely and just did some gentle peddling on some floor peddles and activities of daily...
  14. FCBayern

    TKR Kneed to Know!

    You definitely want to heal your calf before beginning any new PT, but it's important to remember that you aren't rehabbing a sports injury, you're recovering from major surgery. Full recovery is 12-18 months and you can't speed that process up with exercise, your body will heal at its own...
  15. FCBayern

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Wondering how the mole foam worked for you @Stephplum, I have very similar screws and plate on my fibula, I can feel them under the skin but they don't bother me in shoes, but I'm pretty sure I was at least 18 months before I tried my hiking boots. Hopefully you'll find a temporary fix and the...
Back
Top Bottom