Recent content by Dulcimer Diva

  1. Dulcimer Diva

    TKR This time I am doing it right and having a blast

    Glad to hear from you Tashia, and that you had such a great time on your trip. Since my TKRs I too became (and hope to remain) a cancer survivor. Speaking of not knowing what you'd have done w/o it, Bonesmart has helped me in so many unexpected ways--and not just the wrist cartilage/scaphoid...
  2. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Got the "arm mummy" removed today. Thought I was getting a cast (I'd requested pink), but the surgeon looked at my x-rays and decided on a molded plastic forearm brace instead--plastic foam heat-activated and molded to fit my arm & hand as it cooled. Removable for showering, so no need to keep...
  3. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Major milestone today: just donned a front-hook bra unaided! Of course, in order to hold the L side against my chest I had to apply more tension than my surgeon would approve, and I didn't get all the hooks closed (there's a "cleavage keyhole") but the girls are satisfactorily contained.
  4. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    EmEm, I too had been in favor of postponing the osteotomy until the TFCC pain was unbearable, but two of my others docs (primary care & shrink) pointed out that the longer we wait, the older we get and the more "established" the disability from the injury becomes--and the less likely we will be...
  5. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    EmEm, hope you can beat that infection!
  6. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Thanks, Celie. I'm posting several times a day basically to share my experiences in case anyone else is faced with upper-body challenges, especially the little "hacks" & "kludges" (solutions for unforeseen problems & inconveniences) that I'm discovering as I go along. Of course, the biggest...
  7. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Hurting a lot this am, so nerves intact. Was told to ditch the sling, hold my arm up with its own muscles, and move fingers and do "tomahawk chops" to prevent frozen connective tissues and clots. Ice is doing squat, as bandages are so thick no cold is getting through--espec. since I can't get...
  8. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Oh, and acc. to my surgeon, there was almost nothing remaining of the center of the TFCC disc except the torn flap. The falls I took may have been the last straw, because the TFCC had been poked by the too-long ulna (>4mm) during years of overuse and aging. It'd have happened sooner or later...
  9. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Here I am after having had the "trifecta" (TFCC debridement, ORIF of scaphoid, and USO) early this afternoon. Been 12 hrs since the nerve block was administered--only now can I move my fingers--just flap them--but not feel them. (Typing one-handed). Beginning to get some sensation at the ulnar...
  10. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Hmmm....just got my follow-up x-ray reports today. The first set (6/20) mentions "an irregularity in the L scaphoid waist concerning for nondisplaced fracture" and a "minimally depressed R radial head fracture with mild effusion." The followup (6/27) says about the R elbow "A subtle...
  11. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Looking at the two cast-splints, I think what I'm getting is the Muenster. The elbow injury is to the R and does not affect my strumming or picking; it was the TFCC tear (even before I broke the scaphoid) that kept me from painlessly making certain chords on dulcimer & guitar (now, of course, I...
  12. Dulcimer Diva

    Wrist Wrist problems - should I do this?

    Hi, everyone. Those of you who know me from the TKR forum (knees are doing just fine, 5 & 6 yrs. later) know that I am a musician--guitar & mountain (lap) dulcimer. As the result of a fall (up my stairs) in Feb. and using my left hand to prop myself up in bed in April.In February I sustained...
  13. Dulcimer Diva

    TKR Five (and four) years along

    Over 5 years since my RTKR and 4 since my L. I no longer use a cane—two weeks ago I walked about 2/3 of Boston’s Freedom Trail without one. First trip in 20 years that I didn’t even pack a folding one. Except for the occasional clicking (and my “zipper” battle scars), I forget my knees are...
  14. Dulcimer Diva

    Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

    Sonia, so sorry to hear about the neuropathy from your piriformis syndrome (had no idea it could cause more than just pain). Hope it resolves quickly!
  15. Dulcimer Diva

    TKR 2 & 3 year update

    Catching up here: my OncotypeDX score was 16, so no chemo for me! And because of my age, the tumor profile, size and location, I am receiving partial rather than whole-breast radiation, 16 accelerated sessions rather than the usual 33. I’m more than 1/3 of the way through, and should be done...
Back
Top Bottom