Recent content by DrFermento

  1. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    HOLY #$@!!!, I CAN HIKE! Hello everybody and sorry for dropping out at times for so long. I will be at nine months on my left TKR in three days, and I can finally say: It's working! For the past couple of months, I have been focused on exercises and walks, and I was staying away from my leg...
  2. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    ALMOST EIGHT MONTHS (post-op) – Good weeks, not so good weeks... I've been off this forum for a couple of months. I had to get some counseling about my depression and I had to work hard to convince myself that I was improving. I'm still working on that. I have had weeks where I can take daily...
  3. DrFermento

    Bilateral TKR Baths and Feet

    Well, I guess I am my own worst enemy! As of about three weeks ago, I was really starting to think I had cleared the "six month hurdle" -- I was doing exercycle and exercises daily and was starting to walk up to 25 minutes (flat surface) every other day without trouble. Then I did part of the...
  4. DrFermento

    TKR Not sure how to feel...

    I have had multi-experiences with flare-ups (@ 4-5+ months) after doing what was apparently too much standing or walking and/or stairs. And my response has been to elevate and ice. But it is frustrating how long it may take to get the knee to loosen up some again. I have been making myself...
  5. DrFermento

    TKR Not sure how to feel...

    Hi. I am at 5-1/2 months post-op LTKR and I have twice gone to my Dr. who put me on a corticosteroid, Methylprednisolone, for knee swelling/tightness. It helped the first time and I'm just at the end of the second Rx now and hope it kicks in again. But I seem to be at a point where just a little...
  6. DrFermento

    Bilateral TKR Baths and Feet

    Hi. Your "tightness" is not unusual at all. I had my left TKR in mid-November of last year, so I'm at 5 months + in my recovery. I have twice "overdone" it and regressed, with my knee tightening and causing general discomfort but not real pain. My doctor has been happy with my ROM and the...
  7. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    This has become, for me, just about the hardest thing I've ever had to do. And I didn't really realize it, going in. I had a different concept of the "recovery," without all the backsteps. But I see my doctor tomorrow at 8:00 and I will make sure he prescribes me the same anti-inflammatory...
  8. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    I am wondering how many TKR recoveries are managed without serious depression along the way. I used to take a SSRI anti-depressant for years (up until about a decade ago) but I changed to a milder med because of the side-effects. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I need to talk to my Dr. about...
  9. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    Unfortunately, more like "two steps forward, three steps back."
  10. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    Exercise Question: If my knee has tightened up from overuse (it has), is it advisable to cut out all P.T. exercises until the swelling subsides, or do some exercises benefit the tight knee?
  11. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    NOT SO FAST... I put myself right back in the hellhole again! After feeling so good about walking, I felt good enough to provide a little (couple hours) painting work on our house, for two days, and it flared up again. I feel so angry at myself for trying to help out our contractor friend and...
  12. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    @ ALMOST 5 MONTHS – Think I've turned the corner! Physical therapy got me working on hip strengthening/ knee alignment exercises and I literally felt my knee getting stronger over the last couple of weeks. By today, I did 15 minutes of good pace on the exercycle, walked 25 minutes and only had...
  13. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    I do stretch, but I'm tentative about stretching too much (straining). Maybe there are some good stretches I don't know (?)... and what are the "specifics" about massage? How should it be done?
  14. DrFermento

    TKR @ 10 weeks -- What to expect?

    Just need to rant... @ 12 days past 4 months post-op. My Dr. saw me last Monday because I hadn't been able to relieve the tightness in my new knee with rest, ice & Advil/Tylenol... he ran new X-rays, had me get a blood sample pulled to check for any possible infection, and he put me on...
  15. DrFermento

    TKR Not sure how to feel...

    Micha... I am at 4 months post-op and I can completely identify with what you said. I have never experienced anything like this because it is not a "linear" recovery -- sometimes one step forward then two steps back. I battle depression and anxiety all the time. I think about calling my doctor...
Back
Top Bottom