Recent content by Dougb

  1. Dougb

    Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

    Left Full Hip Replacement on 10th November 2012 by Mr Mitchell at Harrogate District Hospital and a year on I'm feeling fine. I don't limp and I am always pleased to hear people say when they find out that I have a new hip, "you would never know", quite reassuring. I still do my hospital...
  2. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    Well, today is the day where I ceased to be a patient - I had my 12 month check at the hospital and they are really pleased with the outcome and with the way that I dealt with it. I did mention that I had been uncomfortable with go it alone policy and I praised the help that I had had from...
  3. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    Well it's a year today and I'm feeling fine. The work in the gym is having a positive effect, but it did hurt at the outset. Very pleased
  4. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    Another milestone reached. My physio advised that my hip joint is fine and that it is now time to build up the muscle structure. He prepared a letter for my trainer at the health centre that I attend specifying my requirements. Ann, the trainer prepared a progressive programme and I started...
  5. Dougb

    THR Day 1

    Don't be too concerned about being sick - it's par for the course. I was sick on my first "zimmer" frame outing on day one, unfortunately whilst being helped onto the toilet by a physiotherapist - all over her and my "wedding tackle", I was mortified. "All in a days work" she said, cleaning us...
  6. Dougb

    Bilateral THR antithrombotic injections

    The thought of these self administered injections frightened me to death prior to the surgery and I was not sure whether I could do it. The first two or three were done hesitantly but then I accepted that it had to be done, so it was grab a bunch of belly, in with the needle accompanied by an...
  7. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    It's been a while since I reported - it's now 10 months since the surgery and things are going well. I've been back to Madeira and I coped with the hilly and cobblestone streets well, whereas in June 2012, pre op, I had to use a stick and hobbled about - I was delighted with the way things went...
  8. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    I've had a cunning plan that I will run across the forum before I do anything about it. This issue of leaving patients with only a telephone helpline might work well for the hospital, but for me it was not enough as I missed the direct contact with others. So, I'm intending to write to the...
  9. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    Six months in now! I have had an odd month, the fifth, insofar as my movement has become a little less free and I ache in the muscles of both thighs and in the buttocks - it's not pain as such, more like as you feel when you have completed a sporting activity. If I sit for half an hour or so I...
  10. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    Hi Poppet. So you are an avid allotmenteer too. I've moved onto a larger plot this year, one that was prepared by a friend who has had to give it up, the reason, his replacement hip dislocated after three years, not on the allotment but doing some building. It's ironic as he was the person...
  11. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    Yes he is GSP and at 9 months old, he's a big lad at 33kg. He is my daughter's dog and he stays with is when she is at work. He's still a handful, but I would really miss not having him around. I've started to take him on short walks using an extending lead and it works well - probably as...
  12. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    I'm now four months post surgery and still have a little tenderness down the scar that has healed quite beautifully, I'm down to four paracetamol a day , handing in all of the issued "aids" and only use the stick when I'm walking on uneven or slippery surfaces. I've have become a little...
  13. Dougb

    THR Doing it on your own?

    I had a full hip replacement in November 2012 and find that the lack of personal support is my major concern and I am pleased to have found this site. Whilst I have telephone access to the day clinic, that I have used twice, it would be nice to be able to deal with the small issues that crop...
Back
Top Bottom