Recent content by Daughter

  1. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thanks, you guys. Even after everything he went through, he said that he would do it again -- because what choice did he have? He was going to end up in a wheelchair because he was in so much pain. What I find really interesting is that the hip replacement itself was the only part of his...
  2. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    God is good. After two months in the hospital and rehab, Dad came home. He is back to square-dancing and round-dancing with my mother once a week. They play bridge (very competitively!) once a week. They are planning a drive up to North Carolina from Florida in a couple weeks; Dad will be doing...
  3. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you so much, Diane. Yes, he is getting magnesium supplementation, but until recently he was getting huge doses of Lasix so maybe that's why it wasn't working very well.
  4. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    The prayers that people have been sending up for my dad have been helping. He is still having a lot of problems, but he is doing better. Thank you, everyone. The four-hour stress test was a chemical, rather than physical, stress test. They wheeled him into a big machine, took pictures of his...
  5. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    p.s. They took out the staples from his incision yesterday. Despite falling twice, his wound has healed beautifully and his new hip is intact. Those things are strong!
  6. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you for all of your replies. The support from this forum is helping us to make it through this extremely difficult time. Dad was still pretty clear-headed for most of yesterday, but he's not doing that well. I think I mentioned that he has pleural effusion. He now also has heart failure...
  7. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    I am so grateful to all of you for the encouraging words. It means so much to us. This morning was really sad. I arrived at the hospital at 8am and Dad was not in his room. The nurse told me that they had taken him downstairs for an echo cardiogram, but he had become combative (due to the...
  8. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you all for your continuing support. I just wanted to provide an update. My father's insurance would not cover the good rehab place, but we decided to try to get him in as a private pay patient. They told us they still might not accept him because they have rigid criteria (they are a...
  9. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    p.s. Mad Rocker, the rest of us feel that we should file a formal complaint against the facility or take some sort of legal action, but my brother the lawyer hasn't said anything about that yet. I don't know what his views are on that.
  10. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you all for your concern and support. The story is getting even more bizarre. The doctor was in the facility today, but he refused to see my father! My father has pneumonia and is now running a temperature of 101. His blood pressure is dangerously low. He has fallen twice and was never...
  11. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you so much. I greatly need and appreciate the support. My game plan for today is to call all of the rehab places in the area to see if any of them provide "constant observation." My brothers and I also will continue to leave messages with his PCP and surgeon, letting them know how dire...
  12. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you for all of the responses. Some members of my family want to move him, but we are worried that the care won't be any better anywhere else around here. One rehab place we investigated wouldn't take him because he had had hallucinations after the surgery. The only facility that might...
  13. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Unfortunately, my dad fell again yesterday. The fall took place shortly after the doctor FINALLY came to assess him after the first fall (3 days after the fall). When my mom asked why it took him 3 days, the doctor said that he has 72 hours within which to examine a newly admitted rehab patient...
  14. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Dear Sandy, This woman apparently is the head honcho, the person in charge of the whole facility. I definitely am documenting everything that happens. My brother, who has been visiting every day, is a lawyer and he is also keeping tabs on the situation. I told him to give off an aura of...
  15. D

    THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

    Thank you so much for your caring replies. Sandy, your story was so reassuring. Thank you for sharing it. It made me feel much better. Jancat, thank you for your advice. As you'll see below, I took it. Josephine, I appreciate your advice and support. My dad is 74. I hope and pray that he didn't...
Back
Top Bottom