Recent content by DanW

  1. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    So I went to see Dr. McArthur earlier this week. He actually seems a bit more "old school" in that he's reluctant to do hip replacements on younger people. He also told me that while I have Perthes deformaties (and that these make replacement more challenging), I also still have good cartilage...
  2. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Thank you again @Jamie - I'd say Austin is within range. If Dr McArthur specializes in younger patients, then I'd like to at least talk to him.
  3. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Thank you @Jamie, it's good to hear that. I will say that Dr. Ursone and his team were very encouraging. I would still be interested in other recommendations in San Antonio, and am curious if Dr. Morrey is on that list. I also have a few more people I need to meet up with and ask for...
  4. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Hi @Jamie , I saw Dr. Ursone, and have previously talked to Dr. Matthew Morrey - he did my grandmother's bilateral and I had a co-worker who just finished a bilateral (a couple years apart) who also went to him. They didn't exactly rave about how well things went, but they didn't have any...
  5. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Thank you Layla, you are right that the pain is really problematic; it's been lifelong and very slowly advancing, so it can be hard to tell what it has cost me. Too much I'm sure. Anyway, I appreciate any info.
  6. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    I met with a surgeon yesterday. His PA came in and looked at my x-ray and said, "I bet you've been in pain for a long time." Which I really appreciated. I don't show any outward signs of having a problem; I don't walk with a limp or anything like that (I actually taught myself not to as a child...
  7. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Hi all, I have not had a hip replacement yet, but am seriously considering it. I have a surgeon or two in mind but I was wondering if there are any recommendations for San Antonio, TX or if there's someone just in Texas generally who's "the guy". I also sort of debate looking for someone to...
  8. D

    THR 19 months later and still struggling

    Was the last revision helpful?
  9. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    @GrumpyMCO I really appreciate you weighing in on your recovery. I suspect that you are right that the majority of recoveries are "textbook" so to speak and we hear a lot more about the horror stories which is unfortunate, but probably just the way we (especially those of us on the more anxious...
  10. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Thank you all for the input. I guess I'm slowly realizing that this something I should do relatively soon. It's just the thought of being stuck recovering and in pain, unable to do the simple things that help relieve the anxiety like take a shower or get up and exercise is daunting. I know that...
  11. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    Thank you for the replies! @Tiger2440 That's really encouraging to hear that you've got such a good result after a life with Perthes and Dysplasia; it's another slight worry of mine that they may make the surgery more difficult or recovery less complete. I hope your knee replacement goes well...
  12. D

    My story - not sure where I stand these days

    I'm a long time "lurker" here and am very impressed by the supportive community you've built. It is informative to see other peoples' challenges and stories and what medicine is able to do to help them these days. I figured it was time to introduce myself and share my own story. At age 7, I...
Back
Top Bottom