Recent content by confused newb

  1. confused newb

    Hip Resurfacing Hip Resurfacing vs. Total Hip Replacement

    Hi @uesgasman. I had a hip resurfacing (BIRMINGHAM HIP) done a little over two years ago, and am thrilled with the results. Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't have been equally as thrilled with the results from a THR... no frame of reference on that for comparison. If you've got any...
  2. confused newb

    When do I know its time?

    I'm just going to echo what everyone else here says... don't wait until you reach the point where you're debilitated! There's just no need to put yourself through that. Like you, I found my world shrinking, no longer able to do what I used to be able to do. I had a resurfacing done about a...
  3. confused newb

    What type of anesthesia did you use

    I stayed awake for mine, and would gladly do so again for any future surgeries. Between the spinal anesthetic, and the big curtain they put up... I felt completely detached from the whole process. The only sensation I had during the entire surgery was the shaking of the table when they...
  4. confused newb

    Hip Resurfacing No contact with Surgeon or staff

    My release was kind of the same as yours, although I didn't have the weight bearing restriction. I spent two night in the hospital post op, and then didn't have any real contact with my surgeon's office until my 7 week follow up. My staples were removed by my family doctor after about 14 days...
  5. confused newb

    Hip Resurfacing No contact with Surgeon or staff

    @Familyman I think you'll be very happy with your resurfacing. I'm certainly loving mine! I slept in my recliner for at least a few weeks... I just found it so much easier. Like you, my bed is quite high and I just could never get myself comfortable enough to sleep in it. I also had a weird...
  6. confused newb

    Chair Recommendations

    I had a lift recliner, which was handy to a certain degree... although it was so slow it quickly became more of a pain than a help I think. I think that if/when my other hip goes I will seriously consider going to pick up one of the zero gravity lawn recliners... they are easy to maneuver with...
  7. confused newb

    Alberta - Evaluation Criteria for THR?

    I don't know how the process in Alberta works specifically, but in Ontario it certainly seems to be up to the OS to determine eligibility. I met with one OS who told me to wait another 10+ years in order to have the surgery because I was 'too young'. At that point, I was already beginning to...
  8. confused newb

    Being out of the country prior to THR

    I would be surprised if it would impact your surgery date, although I would certainly verify that with your surgeon's office. The last thing you want is a surprise as you're showing up for the big day.
  9. confused newb

    Hip Resurfacing April 21 - finally getting a repaired hip

    It's hard to believe, but I'm about a week away from my one year anniversary of becoming bionic... It has been, by far, the best thing that I have ever done for myself. A year ago at this time, I was unable to be active and felt my world closing around me as I moved around with a cane at the...
  10. confused newb

    Getting braver

    @sweet alice. I found I couldn't get comfortable in my bed for the first few weeks. I was much happier in the recliner. My sleep schedule was also off compared to everyone else in the house so the recliner in the living room gave me a lot more flexibility to flip on Netflix at 2am if I felt...
  11. confused newb

    Review my post-op list of must-haves, please!

    Ice is pretty straight forward for the hips, I made my own with the water and alcohol mix and they worked great. I found it best to double bag them to ensure you don't get any leaks. I also had a small plastic bin beside my chair to put them in when they started to melt in case of leaks (also...
  12. confused newb

    I'm envious!

    @Ducky. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. This is a good place to have a pity party, because we all know the pain that a damaged hip can inflict, and will gladly join the party. Like you, I was told to suck it up until I was in my 50's... ridiculous concept... let's put life on hold...
  13. confused newb

    THR Tom’s surprise<

    That is an impressive x-ray! There may be more metal in your leg than in my car at this point... it's no wonder that you're feeling a bit beat up. You're healing at a good time of the year, as you progress the weather outside will get warmer and nicer. Once you're ready to get out and walk...
  14. confused newb

    THR Tom’s surprise<

    @Lucky man, good luck with the follow up appointment today. Your body has taken a beating between the original fracture, and then the two surgeries. Your body has gone through more trauma than most of ours have, so I expect that your early healing will take a bit longer maybe. It's incredible...
Back
Top Bottom