Recent content by CaliCat

  1. CaliCat

    TKR TortiTabby's recovery

    Hi, TortiTabby! You and I are surgery buddies - my right TKR was the same day as yours! I'm sorry to hear you're feeling pushed to go back to work so soon. I'm supposed to be off for a full month, and then another month of partial work if all goes well. All I'm doing right now is checking email...
  2. CaliCat

    TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

    I had my second TKR the same day as you, but my first was last July - I can't even imagine how tough it must be going through the second one so soon! I completely understand about the depression; its a real thing - the last two nights have been very rough for me as well. Glad you've found the...
  3. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Thanks for the welcome, @Softtail and @Jockette! I've been browsing the threads to see what might be useful info to have. I know there will be many differences between this go-round and the last. I'm just trying to make it as smoothly as possible.
  4. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Oops - hit "post" by accident, I think. That's what I get for writing at this time of night, but the pain meds have really messed up my sleep cycles. More later!
  5. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Hi, all - I'm back after nearly nine months, with a new right knee to match the left one. (My signature will need to be updated to add "right TKR April 27, 2019".) Recovery from the left knee was so fast and easy that I was almost afraid to go through with the right knee, but I couldn't wait any...
  6. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Oh, I'm definitely trying to lose weight. at my highest I waited almost 375 lb. I'm about 150 lb less now which is why I was finally able to have surgery. But I hadn't expected to continue losing while I was recovering. That was fine, I'm still eating well and sticking with my ketogenic way of...
  7. CaliCat

    TKR PT induced pain atfer 13yrs

    Hi, @MOOMBA77, and welcome to BoneSmart! I don't have the medical background to answer your question(s) but I'm sure that one of our awesome admins will be along shortly to get you started and provide some initial reading and information. This is an extremely helpful and supportive group, and...
  8. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Oh, and one more thing - has anyone else experienced weight loss during recovery? I know about the energy drain . . . but I did NOT expect to find that I have lost 15 pounds since I came home from the hospital! Some of it is the fluids that were pumped in during surgery, I know, but even...
  9. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Took my new knee for an outing this weekend. I belong to a medieval re-enactment group, the Society for Creative Anachronism, and one of the big "events" was scheduled only a few miles from my house. I did use my tall staff to help steady me around the field, which was fairly level but still...
  10. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Had another PT session today and measured at 93 degrees! I am so stoked, because I am now 100% confident about cancelling the MUA and letting time take its course to increase my ROM. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post-op, and I was able to go up a fairly long flight of stairs today step-over-step...
  11. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Hi, @ChrissiG - I've been wearing a 1/4" heel lift on the right side for three days now and I can definitely tell an improvement. Gait is better, back pain is less, and I'm walking much more comfortably. I absolutely need the other knee done, but this will help me get thru tge intervening months...
  12. CaliCat

    TKR Walking Post Op

    @Pamjam68, my daughter noticed on Sunday that my operated leg not only looked staighter than the other, but longer. I asked my PT about it on Monday and he measured and realized that it is actually 3/8" longer! He did check my pelvis but the hips are NOT oblique, so his recommendation was to get...
  13. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I plan on bringing the length discrepancy to the attention of my OS when I see him next, in about 3 weeks. In the meantime, my PT measured the length of both legs this morning and found about 3/8" difference - which is enough to potentially affect my gait...
  14. CaliCat

    TKR My Newly Bionic Life

    At my last PT visit, I asked about the possibility of going back to the gym - my intent was to find out whether it would be ok to do the upper body machines only, to help with some of the kinks I'm developing from sitting so much (nothing that would strain my new knee). He thought that given...
  15. CaliCat

    PKR Problems with knee flex at 4 weeks only 65 degrees

    I'm a week or so behind you, and at my PT session four days ago measured at 77 - and since my worst reading post-op was 56 (at the worst of the swelling) that's pretty good progress. Keep taking the pain meds as long as you need them. It's slow going, but you'll get there!
Back
Top Bottom